On prioritization, collections and parallel resources

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:45 AM

In Logos 3 I made a collection of parallel resources called "My Bibles" which comprised my most commonly referred to Bibles.  When such a Bible was open, I could "toggle" between them.  I assume that that is not a "feature" in Logos 4, correct?

Is the "prioritization" what is in its' place?  But if I prioritize all the Bibles I collected in v. 3, about 15 or 20, i'd have that many tabs in the window pane, correct?  So is there a different way, so that it isn't all cluttered?  Is there like a "toggle" function at all?

I noticed in a tutorial he makes a collection of Bibles--but I am not sure how that would be helpful.  That collection would not appear in a pane as part of the passage guide, would it?  It would merely be a collection of Bibles to search, right?  And if so, not sure why I'd want to "search" a collection of English Bibles.

Any thoughts on this?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:05 PM

Daniel,

The right and left arrows still work, and I believe use your prioritized bibles first.

Posts 108
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:25 PM

I'm a little puzzled on prioritization. Tell me what I've done wrong. I opened to my Bibles in the library by "type," then used "prioritize this resource" to put them in the order I'd use them. So far, so good. Now I can cycle through them with the plus and minus arrows, as advised.

But when I try to prioritize commentaries, my list of Bibles comes up, and Logos wants to lump in commentaries with my Bible list. How can I set priorities for different kinds of resources? I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I haven't figgered it out.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:39 PM

You use the same list. Just put the commentaries in the same list and they will work with other commentaries.

Instead of creating different Parallel Resource lists there is just one big list accessed by the "Prioritize" button in the  "Prefer these resources" panel

The program knows what kind of resource is open and just toggles through those resources.

Bibles, Commentaries, etc.

As you build the list you may want to keep the like resources grouped together to help you keep track of that kind of resource.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:45 AM

In Logos 3, I made extensive use of Parallel resources by creating Parallel resources for each book of the Bible.  That way I could choose the resources I wanted to use for each book.   I have not found a good way to do this with Logos 4.  I do not want the same prioritization for different books of the Bible. 

Also, I liked using the parallel resources button in the resource windows.  That was nice to use to go to a specific parallel resource quickly, instead of having to use the arrow keys multiple times.

Anyone have suggestions of how to get this kind of functionality in Logos 4?

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:50 AM

MichaelMeasley:

Also, I liked using the parallel resources button in the resource windows.  That was nice to use to go to a specific parallel resource quickly, instead of having to use the arrow keys multiple times.

Anyone have suggestions of how to get this kind of functionality in Logos 4?

Is this what you'd like to see:

It's what I'd like....

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:14 AM

That is exactly what I would like to see! 

Well, the icon doesn't matter, but the function is what I would like.

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:28 AM

Trey Selman:

You use the same list. Just put the commentaries in the same list and they will work with other commentaries.

Instead of creating different Parallel Resource lists there is just one big list accessed by the "Prioritize" button in the  "Prefer these resources" panel

The program knows what kind of resource is open and just toggles through those resources.

Bibles, Commentaries, etc.

As you build the list you may want to keep the like resources grouped together to help you keep track of that kind of resource.

This is far inferior to the way things could be arranged in L3 using PRAs. I want to divide my commentaries by type (Critical, Exegetical, Expositional, Devotional, etc). Then, I could use the arrow keys to cycle through all commentaries of a particular type.

It appears that L4 forces everyone to follow someone else's format for Bible Study. I don't want to be forced into someone else's mold! Perhaps as I learn more about L4, I will see ways to customize the program to suit my preferences, but right now I see little opportunity for that.

Don't get me wrong. There is much I like about L4, but prioritization is not one of them. I like this ALMOST as much as Tom Black likes Handouts Devil

Jack

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS