Off Topic: Good and Bad Preaching

Page 5 of 6 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 101 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:25 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I will need to forgo participation.  I do not have either of the resources

You may be a "lurker" ... but note that the sermons themselves will be available on the web if at all possible, specifically for those who don't have the Logos resources.  Now if I can just get the default setting for registration to work ... it is becoming a humorous muddle of catch22's to find the problem.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 1:32 AM

MJ. Smith:
it is becoming a humorous muddle

This near-pun has been noted and forwarded to the Pun Police for investigation.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:38 PM

Good:  the pastor either has chosen a topic, or area of the word, studied it in the original languages, worked out the translation into the language being taught, then interpreted it with a logical, hermeneutical process, so as to ensure that what he says to the congregation is what the Bible says, then provides application.  Unless your translation is accurate, your interpretation will be off (usually) resulting in your application being wrong.

Bad:  not doing the above; pastors doing it in any other way are hit or miss and are likely to fall for false doctrines because they have not sought the training to learn how to teach God's Word properly

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 10:17 AM

Finally, I really do have it so you can register for a discussion group at http://biblefortherestofus.logos4catholics.org/   thanks to some long distance consulting. Thanks for your patience.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 10:29 AM

MJ, I registered, but Moodle failed to send me the email, so I cannot confirm my account (timothyha).

Could you please confirm it.

It seems you didn't configure your SMTP mail server to send emails from Moodle.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 3882
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 10:59 AM

I am having similar problems - registration went through, but e-mail confirmation failed.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 2:26 PM

I just manually confirmed your registrations. You are correct that my mail server is not correctly configured.  Let me tell you the saga - and be prepared to laugh:

1. Moodle would not allow registration despite the fact everything looked like it did in the documentation.

2. I try to join the Moodle forum but my email address is rejected (aol)

3. I try to set up an email account on the hosting site that will forward to me.

4. I try again to join the Moodle forum - only to have the confirmation email bounce back

5. At this point, the Moodle forum won't allow me to set up an account because I already have an (unconfirmed) account.

6. Whereupon, I set to work on configuring the mail server ... when what I really wanted to be doing was getting MySQL Workbench access working.

Bet you can tell that networking and security were always a phone call away. Our team rarely dealt  with it.

So I'll manually confirm accounts as I continue to work through this all.  I've only run XHTML/XML sites before and was overly optimistic regarding my ability to reason out security & permissions.

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:40 PM

Yay, it finally worked. I'm registered and can access the Moodle forums.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:40 PM

MJ. Smith:
So I'll manually confirm accounts as I continue to work through this all.  I've only run XHTML/XML sites before and was overly optimistic regarding my ability to reason out security & permissions.

I run a number of PHP/MySQL websites, so I can help you in this.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 11:49 PM

I have not received the email confirmation yet. I thought I did something wrong so I registered twice, you can ignore one of the bookmeister's but I would prefer to use the hotmail one if possible.

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2011 8:22 AM

I've got a class to teach - but I'll take Timothy up on his offer to get the email straigtened out.

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2011 8:28 AM

You should have access even though I've not gotten the email working yet.

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2011 10:53 AM

One more thing: it seems to time me out after a relatively short period (a day at most). Any chance there's a setting you can change so we don't have to keep relogging in again when we visit the site?

EDIT: Also, now that you've got it up and running, perhaps it's time to announce it more widely on the forum with a more relevant subject line. This thread started with another discussion and some folks will have tuned it out long before the topic of your course came up. [If you've already done this and I've merely missed it, ignore the suggestion.]

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2011 3:39 PM

Rosie Perera:
One more thing: it seems to time me out after a relatively short period (a day at most). Any chance there's a setting you can change so we don't have to keep relogging in again when we visit the site?

I'll see what the longest period permitted is and set it to that.

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 9 2011 3:45 PM

A good sermon includes the Golden Thread, which I see as Jesus Christ, the God-man wooven here and there throughout the sermon.

Posts 19576
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:46 PM

How come I'm the only one listed as a participant in the class so far? Has nobody else successfully logged on?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:55 PM

Rosie Perera:

How come I'm the only one listed as a participant in the class so far? Has nobody else successfully logged on?

Well, I say what I have to say, and then I quit.  Besides, I can be critical enough of some sermons without studying how to do it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3882
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 7:18 PM

I tried to create an account, when that did not work, I asked MJ to add me manually.  She did so, but I still cannot log in to account.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 9:09 PM

I have 8 people showing as enrolled in the group - can you give me a screen print of where you are rejected so I can track it down? From last access date I can see that all but 2 people have gotten through (Floyd and Ryan). Two people actually had the enrollment process go through correctly so I'm comfortable that the first problem was solved. I may temporarily remove the need to log in - which is primarily to avoid spam and harassment.

Posts 35527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 9:12 PM

George Somsel:
Besides, I can be critical enough of some sermons without studying how to do it.

This isn't how to do it - it's how they did it. Some good, some bad, some somewhere in between. My personal interest is in how it fit into worship and how it interpreted Scripture.

Page 5 of 6 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS