Qn. re: purchase of WBC

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:50 PM

Hey guys...I have been contemplating getting WBC for some time now, and even though the 7 day sale seems good value, I have already decided to get SIL exegetical summaries instead for this month's expenditure...so no rush on WBC. 

But, I was wondering if the Logos version (from the Logos website I mean) is different from the Libronix (L3?) edition available from Christian bookstores as a stand alone product.  (See:  http://orders.koorong.com/search/product/word-biblical-commentary-59-vol-edition-wbc-cd/9781418571450.jhtml;jsessionid=71B7432481EE0FF5AC8C176CD15D474E )

Would this product let you use WBC in L4 too?  Isn't it just a license you really buy?

If it is the same, why the price discrepancy?  WBC from Logos at best is $499 on sale...why $350 on CD?

Thanks for your responses.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:03 PM

Is Mebin:

Hey guys...I have been contemplating getting WBC for some time now, and even though the 7 day sale seems good value, I have already decided to get SIL exegetical summaries instead for this month's expenditure...so no rush on WBC. 

But, I was wondering if the Logos version (from the Logos website I mean) is different from the Libronix (L3?) edition available from Christian bookstores as a stand alone product.  (See:  http://orders.koorong.com/search/product/word-biblical-commentary-59-vol-edition-wbc-cd/9781418571450.jhtml;jsessionid=71B7432481EE0FF5AC8C176CD15D474E )

Would this product let you use WBC in L4 too?  Isn't it just a license you really buy?

If it is the same, why the price discrepancy?  WBC from Logos at best is $499 on sale...why $350 on CD?

Thanks for your responses.

Congratulations on an excellent find.  It is indeed formatted to work in L4 (since it specifically says "libronix", its probably an L3 product, which can be activated in L4).  Note the statement from the link you gave above, "This CD-Rom contains all 59 volumes of the WBC and is formatted with the state-of-the-art Libronix Digital Library System, which offers superior search, workspace, and browsing capabilities. "  Looks like a great deal to me.

On the other hand, if you have ANY reservation that it will fully integrate in L4, give Logos a call and verify before you buy :)

"I read dead people..."

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 11:54 PM

Thanks Brother Mark...and Koorong have a 20% off everything in stock sale every 3 months...so by then, I'll be ready...lolAngel

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 3:50 AM

You can buy Libronix resources from other sellers and write to Customer support of Logos for activation in Logos 4.  You can send the activation code to them by email.

I'd like to be able to input activation codes somewhere on the websites, but currently this feature is not available yet.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 4:59 AM

When will the entire WBC be finished and available?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 6:25 AM

Eric,

Here's the link off the Thomas Nelson website showing the most authoritative list of WBC volumes shipped and forthcoming.  The website says there are 5 outstanding volumes but only 4 are listed in the future release date area at the bottom of the page.

I'm curious to know if a publisher's thought is that if a commentary is completed, it psychologically ceases to remain respected in the community.  No rush to complete here!

[EDIT] - it seems this page is out of date as there are only 4 remaining volumes left unreleased.

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 10:36 AM

Is Mebin:

I was quite excited about this link until I discovered Koorong's international shipping charges: 40% of the order's value! $350 became $490.

It was fun while it lasted!  Smile

Bill

Posts 9967
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:33 PM

Bill Coley:
I was quite excited about this link until I discovered Koorong's international shipping charges: 40% of the order's value! $350 became $490

Actually it may become worse. Don't know where you live, but here in Germany the custom's people will have the Postal Service check incoming parcels and letters, will levy some customs on it (it= the full amount including P&P) and add 19% Import VAT on again the total (yes, you pay VAT also on the custom duties you paid on shipping). There is a de-minimis rule which means that they won't charge on products with less than approx. 30 USD - this helped me last time when I received a CD-ROM from a Logos reseller, which was just cents below the limit.  

Thus, ordering expensive products to be shipped from overseas makes no real sense. On the other hand, there is no customs duty and Import VAT on downloads. So you may find a reseller that doesn't ship the DVD, but provides you with the valid licence key and Logos CS just activates it to your account.

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 3:30 PM

Bill Coley:
I was quite excited about this link until I discovered Koorong's international shipping charges: 40% of the order's value! $350 became $490.

Now THAT'S disappointing Crying

"I read dead people..."

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 3:59 PM

Bill Coley:

Sorry to hear that Bill...it will only be a good deal for Aussies then.  (Believe me, it very rarely happens that way...lol)

Next time Koorong has a 20% off sale, I will let you know by re-activating this thread...that would bring the price down to $280...so it may be worth getting a fellow L4 Aussie to buy it for you and post it...I don't know how to help our German brother get around those import taxes though.

Posts 9967
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 4:10 PM

Is Mebin:
.I don't know how to help our German brother get around those import taxes though.
Well, I just tabled WBC in favor of the SIL offer, anyway, and my non-existing book budget is well overdrawn (and Prepubs coming up, the SESB 4 is announced for end of the year etc). And then again, maybe the "number only" thing will work - I seem to remember other posters here writing about it. 

I'm glad that Logos brings us together accross the globe. 

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 6:01 PM

Is Mebin:
Sorry to hear that Bill...it will only be a good deal for Aussies then.  (Believe me, it very rarely happens that way...lol)

Thanks for the note.

The 40% charge for international orders sounds quite high (though our friends who face VATs perhaps tell a sadder tale). I think I will e-mail Koorong to ask how they came to that rate.

Bill

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 10:48 PM

Is Mebin:
Next time Koorong has a 20% off sale, I will let you know by re-activating this thread

For the month of September Koorong has a 25% off all academic titles sale...so I picked up the WBC's for $262.50!!!  All I needed to do was e-mail tech support and they activated the product for me straight away, then L4 downloaded it.  What a bargain!

If anyone would like to take advantage of this outside Australia, I am willing to help.  If you have a good way of getting the money to me...then I could buy it for you and send it.  Anyway...that takes a lot of trust, so I am just offering :)

Posts 72
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 12:46 AM

Hi!  It seems tempting... Would it work that you simply email the serial/activation without posting the disc?  It would be a lot simpler that way if its possible...Smile

EDIT: Its a kind offer too Big Smile

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:50 AM

Yeah...I could just buy the disk...e-mail the activation code...and once you confirm it is okay, then dispose of the disk (so that no one else could ever use it).

Confession...I had to really fight the temptation to just write the activation code down and leave the shop...as it is displayed on the back of the CD-Rom case...but I triumphed...praise God!!!

Anyway...the only problem with the offer is how to get the funds to Australia...I'm no expert in international transactions Smile

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:56 AM

Is Mebin:
Anyway...the only problem with the offer is how to get the funds to Australia...I'm no expert in international transactions Smile

Paypal is one easy method to xfer the funds.  One question, is the $262 US or Oz currency?

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:59 AM

Is Mebin:
Confession...I had to really fight the temptation to just write the activation code down and leave the shop...as it is displayed on the back of the CD-Rom case...but I triumphed...praise God!!!

Well done - God will repay you abundantly!

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 10:10 AM

Is Mebin:
If anyone would like to take advantage of this outside Australia, I am willing to help.  If you have a good way of getting the money to me...then I could buy it for you and send it.  Anyway...that takes a lot of trust, so I am just offering :)

Your offer is both tempting and generous. Thank you.

Is it also legal/legitimate to make such an international transaction? And acceptable to the folks at Logos? If so, I may have to negotiate with my wife!

Bill

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 11:26 AM

Mebin,

I would be interested in doing this. How to make contact though? If you would like you can email me at rgmullen    AT   gmail  DOT com and I will work out the details of funds transfer. I am open to other means. I also am open to other means.

Blessings,

Robert

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 8:33 PM

Brother Mark:
is the $262 US or Oz currency?

Australian dollar.  So a little higher for US I'd expect.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS