System Requirements: Minimum vs. Recommended

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:26 PM

Paul Schack:
If this will not help a whole lot I can wait to install it on the second computer when I replace it next spring and continue to use 3.0 on the desktop and 4 on my wife's laptop.

Hi Paul, I think you will struggle to get Logos4 running on that system whatever you do; and I wouldn't spend money upgrading a machine that old, rather put the money aside for when you next upgrade...

Btw, one of the dangers of resurrecting a month old forum thread and not just creating a new one is that people don't realise and carry on responding to the original poster Smile

Posts 39
Scott K | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:52 AM

Chris Hulshof:

Thanks for those responses! It begins to give me some idea of if an upgrade is possible without a new laptop.

As far as the laptop goes; I am running the most current version of XP with all current Windows updates. The processor is an Intel Pentium M 730 Processor-1.60GHz/533MHz FSB.

As far as my Logos library goes; I have the Scholar's Gold collection.  I have also added plenty of other resources as well; mostly commentary collections - Baker's N.T. Commentary, Baker's Exegetical Commentary, The Socio-Rhetorical Commentary, etc... I also log all my sermons in Logos using the sermon Add-in feature and have used the PBB feature as well.  I have about 9 gig's of hard drive space left so I would have to delete L3 to make room for L4.

Feel free to chime in again with your thoughts now that I threw out some more info.

Chris, I am running L4 on a computer with some similar specs to yours, though I have quite a bit more HD space.  I have laptop with a 1.6GHz processor, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HD space, and only and only 64MB RAM of video RAM (that's what I see as my biggest weakness).  Therefore, I'm running L4 with a machine that doesn't meet Logos' minimum requirements... yet it's working.

I've had it crash on me in accessing maps and the like (what appears to be the most graphics-intensive part of the program, to me), but if I stay away from the maps, I can engage in search, study, and the like, and I'm enjoying L4.  Of course, the better the computer, the better the experience... but I agree, you have little to loose by trying it yourself.  Go for it.  Then, if/whenever you get a new machine, you'll know your way around L4!

Blessings,
Scott

Posts 668
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:40 AM

One other thing that makes old computers run better with Logos 4 is to turn off wifi or internet access and then turn off the computer's antivirus.

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 9:35 PM

I also have questions in this: why 3GB of RAM is recommended? I found that it takes only 3xx MB when it is running.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS