Newbie Q - Suggested additions to Scholar's Library

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:08 AM

Hi guys.  I'm a newbie to logos and just purchased the Scholar's Library base package the other day.  I'd be grateful if anyone who started with this package could suggest some reasonable value additional resources which they added to their library and which really benefited them. 

I guess I'm trying to get at, are there any additional resources which people see as pretty fundamental and which won't break the bank?! 

I've seen on a few of the tutorial videos mention to the Greek-English Lexicon of the NT and Other Early Christian Literature (BDAG) - is this one of the first additional resources I should be looking at?

At this point in time, I'll be using logos to prepare sermons for my church, and using it for my MA in Biblical and Theological Studies which I started back in March 2011.

All recommendations will be gratefully received Yes

Thanks.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:19 AM

I'm guessing you'll need BDAG for your MA Greek requirement, in which case BDAG is a necessary addition. If you can, look at upgrading to Platinum which includes BDAG if you have a Greek language requirement for your MA. 

If you don't have a Greek language requirement for your MA, then I doubt you'll "need" BDAG and you'd be better served by upgrading to the Scholar's Gold base package, if that's too much, then Silver. Once there, I'd take a look at the fantastic value found in the "IVP Essentials" package. 

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:04 AM

I concur with what Mike recommends.  As one who prepares sermons I find having at least one quality, affordable commentary spanning the entire Bible by multiple authors and one commentary (NT) from a single trusted author would be great to help prepare.

A couple ideas for both are:

Whole Bible, Multi Author (affordable):
 Tyndale OT/NT Commentaries

Expositor's Bible Commentary

Word Biblical Commentary

New American Commentary (included in Scholar's Silver Base Package & higher)

NT, Single Author:
MacArthur New Testament Commentary (The Bundle is $20 more than just the NT Commentary set but comes with 69 more books)

Lange's Commentary on Holy Scripture (whole Bible)

J. Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible (whole Bible)

I really recommend Platinum if you can step up to it.  Make sure to study the base package comparison chart so you don't buy resources included in future base package purchases

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:42 AM

There has been some good advice given, I would add that in order to make these thing more affordable, make sure you check into the student's discount pricing , it may help alot!

Also it may help you to check into the payment plans,  many times upgrading to the next package it your best buy, but it may be more than you can afford in one month, but it would be easy to handle if it was spread out over many months, check into, I believe, it can apply to student discounts.

I have BDAG, and I love it, and would not be without it, in fact I have two different electronic copies of it, but if you are not that into the Greek, others will do until later.

All the suggestions given are good resources and I have them all in one format or another.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:12 AM

Good suggestions have been given.

I have found that it is a good idea to make a "wish list" of things that I would like to add to my Logos library.

I have been able to add many of those WHEN THEY WERE ON SALE. The savings that I made by buying them on sale helps me to get buy others later.

Logos has fairly frequent sales, like the recent WBC and the current NICOT/NT sale.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:15 AM

If you upgrade to gold, you get UBS translators handbooks, useful commentary on most of the Bible, ($500) thrown in.  Platinum also gives you BDAG, as mentioned above, and New American commentary, and, I think, Pillar commentary.  So I would not buy those separately till you have decided whether to upgrade at some stage.  (I did some false economising, buying Greek and Hebrew Bibles and UBS, my commentary of choice, separately, not realising how the system worked).

WBC is on offer as part of the Nelson library till?31st for $599, $100 more than I paid for WBC alone on a special offer.

If you get an upgrade, they give you higher discount if you go up 3 grades, e.g. scholars to Platinum.  

You're probably fairly cleaned out after buying scholars.  I'd be inclined to play with that and get to know it.  They usually have some offers in a pre-Christmas sale.  As you probably won't want to upgrade immediately, I'd be inclined to wait till the next time they offer reductions on upgrades, and definitely go for academic discount.  

Keep an eye on community pricing.  Some fantastic bargains there on public domain books, e.g. Cambridge Greek testament commentary.  And prepubs are a cheaper way of buying books than buying them after production.  You don't actually pay for CP  or prepub books until they  ship.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:01 AM

nicky crane:
You're probably fairly cleaned out after buying scholars.  I'd be inclined to play with that and get to know it.  They usually have some offers in a pre-Christmas sale.  As you probably won't want to upgrade immediately, I'd be inclined to wait till the next time they offer reductions on upgrades, and definitely go for academic discount.  

Agreed - they might also do a repeat of last year's Black Friday sale, when you could tell Logos what you wanted and they offered keener than normal prices on them.  I think it's worth thinking about the options above so that, if that offer comes round again, you will know what to ask for. I'm English, but I think "Black Friday" is on your Thanksgiving weekend. I know it was a spectacularly successful promotion last time, so I suspect (and hope) that Logos will repeat it this year (I've certainly got a list including BDAG!)

The other obvious bit of advice is to keep an eye on Pre-Pubs and Community Pricing offers.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:11 AM

nicky crane:

If you upgrade to gold, you get UBS translators handbooks, useful commentary on most of the Bible, ($500) thrown in.  Platinum also gives you BDAG, as mentioned above, and New American commentary, and, I think, Pillar commentary.  So I would not buy those separately till you have decided whether to upgrade at some stage.  (I did some false economising, buying Greek and Hebrew Bibles and UBS, my commentary of choice, separately, not realising how the system worked).

This is good advice. Base packages almost always offer the best value. Look over what items you might be interested in that are in possible upgrade base packages. Don't buy them separately if you think you might eventually upgrade. Buy them within the upgrade pkg. If you are interested in many items, that often justifies the upgrade by itself.

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:47 AM

No one seems to have mentioned the bargain Logos is offering on the NICOT/NT commentary set.  Possibly because even at this amazing price ($999) it isn't what you might call inexpensive.  I, among others here, highly recommend it.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:05 AM

Guys, thanks for the many helpful suggestions. 

Given I'm so early into my MA, and will have a requirement to study Hebrew and Greek further down the line, perhaps a more comprehensive logos base package might be a wise investment.  I'm therefore going to enquire about an upgrade to Platinum.

I have been offered a special upgrade price via my logos account - is the academic discount (which I took advantage of when buying Scholar's Library) likely to come off that price if I speak to my sales consultant?

Thanks again!

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:12 AM

Paul Clarke:

I have been offered a special upgrade price via my logos account - is the academic discount (which I took advantage of when buying Scholar's Library) likely to come off that price if I speak to my sales consultant?

Thanks again!

Paul, miracles happen every day!  You have nothing to lose by calling the sales rep, and many of us have received significant discounts by doing exactly that.  Blessings, and enjoy my brother!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:22 AM

Paul Clarke:

Should do.  My sales rep gave me $100 discount off my "special personalised discount"!  And that was without academic pricing...

Upgrade from Scholars to Platinum gives you UBS Handbooks (about $500), NAC ($500), BDAG (?$200-300).  So it's paid for itself.  Go for it quick before the prices go up as threatened.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:22 AM

Paul Clarke:

It may be slightly more off, but speak to the Logos consultant.  Also inquire about the acdemic discount beta program and see when you are eligible to join it.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS