Post your L4 collections!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:13 PM

Okay, I am guessing that many who got excited with the release of L4 acquired a base package. While some will undoubtedbly want to wait for the ability to import their L3 collections, here is a proposal for those of you who have made headways in creating new L4 collections:

1. Would someone tell the rest of us where collections are stored and if pasting a collection file in that location would work to make it appear in L4?

2. If yes, would those who have already done all the work be kind enough to post collection files with a clear description of the content, indicating which base package you own (to compare to our own resource library)? Then the rest of us can download, copy and paste and make modifications in L4 if we want to.

It's an idea. Let's first confirm that it can work technically and if so, I hope that there will be many responses and that it can prove useful to many of us.

Blessings,

Francis 

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:24 PM

HI,

Most of the user data (all?) is stored in an embedded database SQL database sqllite.

I would imagine collection definitions are too. The only thing that could be posted would be the search criteria that you used to create collections. Logos would have to provide an import/export function to pass collections around.

Regards,

Clinton

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:37 PM

We'd need to confirm that. Some may find search strings useful, but I suspect that there won't be any search string that does not leave a varying number of titles to be removed yet. Plus, already existing collections mean the work is done. It would be more work for people to seek to remember what search string they used and reproduce it on the post.

If the collections cannot be pasted, then perhaps this idea should be abandoned, but we need to confirm that.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:46 PM

Yeah, it's not going to work like that.. The whole point of the new collections is that they are dynamic so that as you add new books to your library which meet your criteria they're included in the collection...

Francis:
that does not leave a varying number of titles to be removed yet

The resource metadata is in the process of being corrected, when that's done this will no longer be such a problem...

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:48 PM

Clinton Thomas:

HI,

Most of the user data (all?) is stored in an embedded database SQL database sqllite.

I would imagine collection definitions are too. The only thing that could be posted would be the search criteria that you used to create collections. Logos would have to provide an import/export function to pass collections around.

Regards,

Clinton

I don't see how this would make things easier. For me to share my collection with you all I have to do is send you a screen shot. Make things look like this, type in things as you see them and you are good to go. For instance here is my collection. type:journals. I just shared with you my collection.

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:52 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I don't see how this would make things easier.

I'm not saying it would. I'm just saying what is.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:28 AM

Clinton Thomas:

Philip Spitzer:
I don't see how this would make things easier.

I'm not saying it would. I'm just saying what is.

Got ya. :-)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:29 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Got ya. :-)
'

After thinking that one in my head its possible it comes across wrong. Just to be clear, I did not mean gotcha, but I understand now :-)

Posts 118
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:30 AM

search strings may be helpful to get people going, though we can not technically "share" collections.

I have one below that works for my periodicals. I did not realize I had that many periodicals.

Mac Pro 13 Retina 8GB, 256 flash 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:34 AM

Kenneth Morris:
search strings may be helpful to get people going, though we can not technically "share" collections.

I'm thinking screen shots like you provided are the best way to go. anyone who has vista or Windows 7 can do them easily. Thee is a program called Snipping tool built into windows. It allows better control over what part of the screen you copy then good old print screen.

Posts 317
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:35 AM

Where did you find the different search strings?  I've been looking for these in the help file but can't find them. I thought that the properties of a book might have had them but I can't see them there either. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:41 AM

PaulMeathrel:

Where did you find the different search strings?  I've been looking for these in the help file but can't find them. I thought that the properties of a book might have had them but I can't see them there either. 

Below is a screen shot that should help you. Clicking "View" in the library will switch your library to a table view. Right clicking on the header bar will let you add different columns to the table. Most of these tables can be used to search for items. some are not used exactly as they appear. For instance if you want to filter your collection according to "subjects" you would use "subject:" (not no ending s). You will also notice two tag columns. Mytags are for the tags you specifically set up. "Tags" are for a yet to be introduced feature. In the future if 5 or more (number is not set in stone yet) people tag a resource with the same tag, Logos will place that tag in the tags column. That is why you use mytags: when searching tags instead of tags: at the current time.

Posts 118
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:42 AM

PaulMeathrel:

just use the field headings(title, author, my tags, type, subject, etc) in your library (view/detailed)and use the regular search operators (AND-OR-ANDNOT etc.).

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:43 AM

Kenneth Morris:

I have one below that works for my periodicals. I did not realize I had that many periodicals.

curious: why is "periodical" a "subject" and not a 'type" like magazine or journal?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:46 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
curious: why is "periodical" a "subject" and not a 'type" like magazine or journal?

Each resource can have only 1 type, but the subject can contain more data to further describe the resource. if you want to see this in action follow my instructions above to view the library as a table, and then make sure the subject column is selected. You should get an idea of the different uses.

Posts 118
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:52 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Kenneth Morris:

Not really sure, but that is how it is listed in the discipleship journal metadata. I suppose it is kind of subjective and depends on the publisher. Discipleship Journal is listed as type:magazine and subject:periodical. Since that was the field that the ublisher used, that isthe one I used in my collection.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:02 AM

Philip Spitzer:
I'm thinking screen shots like you provided are the best way to go. anyone who has vista or Windows 7 can do them easily. Thee is a program called Snipping tool built into windows. It allows better control over what part of the screen you copy then good old print screen.

And remember...Jing 7 is free! Serial number and everything...just search the beta thread..

CORRECTION: Snatit 7 is free...

Techsmith is giving away a free copy of Snagit 7 in hopes that you upgrade to v9.

Here is a link to v7.2.5 from Old apps.

http://www.oldapps.com/download.php?oldappsid=SnagIt725.exe

From Techsmith:

After you install the program; open it and go to Help>enter software key and type in your name and software key:
YW6RC-4YMK6-SZBBD-C2MCW-Q9D96

Want the latest version? After installing SnagIt 7.2.5, you will be
eligible to upgrade to the current version, SnagIt 9, with special
customer upgrade pricing discounts.
NOTE: the upgrade to the current v9 is 24.99

I've installed it and it's really close to v9 in how nice it works....no video or other fancy stuff though...

But either way you go you cannot beat free.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:08 AM

Robert Pavich:
And remember...Jing 7 is free! Serial number and everything...just search the beta thread..

Didn't know about Jing but looked it up and saw that is was for MAC. Snag It 7 is also fee, though and older version of the program. It is for PC and it is what I use now.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:09 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Didn't know about Jing but looked it up and saw that is was for MAC. Snag It 7 is also fee, though and older version of the program. It is for PC and it is what I use now.

Jing is also for PC.

Charlene

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:14 AM

Philip..

yes...I updated the post to reflect that it's Snagit...and not jing that's free...

Techsmith is giving away a free copy of Snagit 7 in hopes that you upgrade to v9.

Here is a link to v7.2.5 from Old apps.

http://www.oldapps.com/download.php?oldappsid=SnagIt725.exe

From Techsmith:

After you install the program; open it and go to Help>enter software key and type in your name and software key:
YW6RC-4YMK6-SZBBD-C2MCW-Q9D96

Want the latest version? After installing SnagIt 7.2.5, you will be
eligible to upgrade to the current version, SnagIt 9, with special
customer upgrade pricing discounts.
NOTE: the upgrade to the current v9 is 24.99

I've installed it and it's really close to v9 in how nice it works....no video or other fancy stuff though...

But either way you go you cannot beat free.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS