Taking notes and big CPU usage

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 3 2011 4:49 AM

Again, I have to congratulate Logos for their latest version of Logos4Mac. It's just wonderful on my 2010 MBA. I'm also happy to see the lagg with taking notes is no were near as  bad as it is on Windows. 

I do have one small problem. When I type notes, the CPU usage goes through the roof eating up my battery. Surely the saving of text doesn't need to be that CPU intensive?? As soon as I stop typing, the CPU usage drops write back down. 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 6:46 AM

Logos feels each letter you type is extremely valuable, and not only should be closely and very carefully examined, but saved with utmost attention as well. What if the phone rings and your battery is at 5%. You might loose that letter. What if your cat walks on your keyboard? Surely you'd want his letters saved too, wouldn't you?  Let's think this out first.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 11:43 AM

Denise I assume you are being sarcastic??

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:45 PM

I wouldn't say 'sarcastic'.

It just seems pretty common sense after almost 2 years for Windows and maybe a year for the Mac, that the Logos staff (not just the programmers) would have noticed the problem being discussed here. Certainly the forum has to bring it up every 2 months or so. Make long lists of notes issues. Go over the voting. Make some more lists.

And I'd also assume the Logos staff is probably familiar with a common behavior among Bible studiers wanting to 'take notes'. Especially using a 'computer'.

Therefore, the only realistic conclusion has to be that they regard the notes as tremendously precious, each letter meriting fairly sizable CPU power to adaquately handle it.

What other conclusion is possible? Their programmers are crackerjacks at the trade. Not being sarcastic; it's true. They're good.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:28 PM

Well, given it's the only application that sends the CPU usage through the roof when I type in it, I'd suggest there is a problem that does need to be addressed. I ask my MBA to do much more complicated tasks, and it doesn't require that much processing.

I'm suggesting this is one issue Logos should look at. Just as Logos needed to go back and look at performance issues, which they did and have done a brilliant job! 

Perhaps one short-term option may be to have adjustable auto-save intervals to give you the option of saving your work every 5mins, just like most wordprocesses. At least then the cpu usage will spike every 5 mins, and not every time you hit a key.

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:22 AM

Hi Denise

I don't mean to sound rude, but it is nonsense that note taking should use such high CPU. Letters don't require high cpu usage. Each letter does not merit sizable CPU. It's a programming issue that needs addressing and resolving. My feeling is the Logos at the moment either a) don't know what is causing it or b) don't feel it is too high up the list.

All I would like to hear from Logos is that they acknowledge their is an issue and that it will be addressed.

Dan

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 11:04 AM

Daniel Arnott:
All I would like to hear from Logos is that they acknowledge their is an issue and that it will be addressed.

Take a look at this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/36949/283769.aspx#283769 Does that affect your concerns?

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:48 PM

Looks promising. Thanks.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 4:48 PM

Daniel Arnott:
I don't mean to sound rude, but it is nonsense that note taking should use such high CPU. Letters don't require high cpu usage. Each letter does not merit sizable CPU. It's a programming issue that needs addressing and resolving. My feeling is the Logos at the moment either a) don't know what is causing it or b) don't feel it is too high up the list.

Observation: Logos 4 Notes are stored in SQLite database files in rows using Rich Text Content with eXtensible Markup Language (XML) tagging; hence one character change can take awhile to journal and process into underlying database row along with scheduling character change for sync (followed later by sync to Logos servers).  Larger note files (with more XML) take longer to process one character change.  Appears eXcessive Markup Language (XML) may be happening, wondering about redundancy in one Note heading: "John 1:1–2 logosres:logosna27;ref=BibleNA27.Jn1.1-2 logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn1.1-3"

<Paragraph Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" TextAlignment="Left"><Span Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12"><Run Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" Text="John 1:1–2 " /></Span><Span Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12"><ResourceLink Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" IsLink="True" ResourceId="logosna27" Reference="bible+na27.64.1.1-64.1.2"><Run Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" Text="logosres:logosna27;ref=BibleNA27.Jn1.1-2" /></ResourceLink></Span><Span Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12"><Run Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" Text=" " /></Span><Run Language="en-US" FontFamily="Helvetica" FontSize="12" Text="logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.Jn1.1-3" /></Paragraph>

Optimization idea: specify font and size once (e.g. for paragraph), then use until font and size change (vis specifying Helvetica 9 times for a one line paragraph). Noticed one space between links took 137 characters in Rich Text Content XML.

Looking forward to Logos 4.5 Beta development cycle (in two to few weeks) that includes changes to sync framework plus Logos 4 Mac Notes improvements => Important Change to Synchronization coming in next Beta for Notes, custom Highlighting styles, Favorites, and some Preferences

Thankful for Personal Book tagging capabilities; can compose and compile a Personal Book with links to Logos resources.  Also can use Personal Book to customize Logos data type pop-up => Suggestion: Discourse Greek NT more customizable

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2893
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:03 PM

The current SR3 is a big step backwards. I cannot type in notes without the program crashing. I was trying to duplicate it to produce Logs and now I cannot even edit the notes entry I was typing in. Ho hum! come Lord Jesus and if you tarry, come 4.5beta!

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 8:48 PM

I updated Logos4 on my MBA this morning and it's working fine - apart from the excessive CPU usage when typing notes. No crashes or hang ups to that effect.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 4:02 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
The current SR3 is a big step backwards.

So far, I tend to agree with you. The constantly spinning pizzaz has returned. The app is continually frozen. Note that it is still indexing. Perhaps, it will work after that is complete.  At this point, I am extremely disappointed.

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:57 PM

Another update, and no improvement... :(

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 12:54 PM

Jason Forbes:

Another update, and no improvement... :(

Agreed. Notes in L4 Mac continues to be an exercise in frustration. The 4.5 Beta promises dramatic changes. Hope they are for the better.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:28 PM

Thankful for Logos 4.3 Personal Book option (alternative); edit docx file, save, build book, use pop-ups and links in Logos 4.

Looking forward to Logos 4.5 Beta; hopefully with noticeable Notes improvement since underlying storage being revamped.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS