Getting to grips with Logos

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Andy H | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 5 2011 2:22 AM

Hello all.  I've had Logos for about a year now (Scholar's) and have been using it in a very basic way (search passages & find relevent commentaries, look at some interlinears, and open and search/read specific books).

I'm considering adding some more resources, and for me this will be a significant investment (although by the size of some libraries around here, the number of resources I'm looking at looks tiny.)

I want to make sure I get the most for my money, though, so my question is: which 5 things do you think I need to get to grips with as far as Logos software goes, in order to increase my productivity and usage.

Don't worry about giving detailed instructions - I only want a bullet-list of five things I can look up the training videos for.

Thanks for all your help,

Andy.

Posts 1649
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 2:59 AM

I cannot stress enough that Mark Barnes' videos at Logos4training.com are critical! Even if you think that you know how to do all of the subjects he presents, watch them anyhow. Everybody seems to have a "wow I did not know that" moment after watching them!

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:17 AM

Andy Hyland:
... which 5 things do you think I need to get to grips with Logos, in order to increase my productivity and usage.

• Prioritize your library (assumes understanding of the columns in Library window).
  • Become familiar with all the stuff you can right-click (after prioritising)
  • Learn search techniques: basic/Bible/morph, operators, fields/ranges, collections.
  • Create collections (so you can search sections of your library)
  • Use layouts (one for each thing you are working on at present)

If you are looking for the video material from Mark Barnes and others:

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:19 AM

1. Use the guides.

2. create collections.

3. take advantage of the command bar.

4. understand layouts.

5. know some keyboard shortcuts (f7, f11, CTRL+SHFT+W, are some of my favorites)

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:20 AM

Allen Browne:
Become familiar with all the stuff you can right-click (after prioritising)

YesYesYesYesYesYes

Posts 4628
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 5:33 AM

Allen Browne:

If you are looking for the video material from Mark Barnes and others:

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

These videos are the best first step for anyone new to Logos

Posts 4
Andy H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 6:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments.  Much appreciated.

Andy.

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:51 AM

A bit more practical workflow for your consideration.

1. Focus on the Biblical text, compare translations using the Text Comparison tool.

2. Use the Exegetical Guide to pursue original language study (if that is of interest to you)

3. Use the Passage Guide to look for parallel passages, and cross references.

4. After you have created collections, use the Cited By tool to see what other resources in your library say about the pericope you are studying.

5. Use the Passage Guide to consult commentaries.

Here are screen shots of a layout that incorporates the above:

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 2:54 PM

Andy Hyland:
I'm considering adding some more resources, and for me this will be a significant investment (although by the size of some libraries around here, the number of resources I'm looking at looks tiny.)

Scholar's Gold and above include United Bible Societies (UBS) Handbooks; wiki Logos Resource Reviews => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series plus recent blog => Logos 4: Quickly Access the UBS Handbooks

Andy Hyland:

I want to make sure I get the most for my money, though, so my question is: which 5 things do you think I need to get to grips with as far as Logos software goes, in order to increase my productivity and usage.

Don't worry about giving detailed instructions - I only want a bullet-list of five things I can look up the training videos for.

Wiki has => Getting Started with Logos page that links to Mark Barnes excellent video tutorials plus more, including Tips and Wiki links plus Learning Logos section has several ideas for ongoing learning.  Another way to learn Logos 4 is reading and responding to forum questions.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 5:40 PM

Andy,

You've already received some good suggestions. After prioritizing and creating collections here are six things likely to improve what you get from using Logos:

1. Create custom Passage Guides, Bible Word Study Guides, and Exegetical Guides to give you the information you really want to see. Create multiple guides to yield different types of information more quickly.

2. Learn to use Analysis View in Bible, Morphological, and Syntactical searches.

3. Learn to do basic morphological searches.

4. Learn to create and use visual filters.

5. Customize the Cited By tool to use only collections you want to see,

6. Learn to use Favorites, Clippings, and Notes to save and organize what you are discovering.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4
Andy H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:15 PM

I've just started going through Mark's videos at Logos4training.com.  Wow.  I can't believe how much you can learn about Logos in around fifteen minutes.  Great stuff.

Andy.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS