Perseus Collection: Administrative Overhead?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2011 12:05 PM

I've been scrolling through some of the listings that Logos is publishing for free Perseus collection. This is a fair amount of data.  For those of us with slower PCs, will the added resources be a drain on computer resources? I suppose we could isolate them into a collection not searched in our typical study guide....

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus

Thanks,

Steve

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:09 PM

Steve Johnson:
For those of us with slower PCs, will the added resources be a drain on computer resources?

Good question, Steve. Certainly many of us will experience significant increases in indexing time. My library will grow by about 40% with Perseus so that will make a substantial increase in indexing.

If you do an Entire Library search that will certainly be slower. I guess some of us will need to stop doing that and be sure we search collections only. Passage Guides shouldn't be effected since there are probably no (or very few) scripture references in the Perseus collection. We'll have to see how the Bible Word Study tool handles Perseus.

I suspect that indexing and Entire Library searches will be the biggest impact.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10055
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:57 AM

Steve Johnson:

I've been scrolling through some of the listings that Logos is publishing for free Perseus collection. This is a fair amount of data.  For those of us with slower PCs, will the added resources be a drain on computer resources? I suppose we could isolate them into a collection not searched in our typical study guide....

I had the same consideration, reflected on whether I really want (not to speak of need) all of them and cancelled the Richmond newspaper thing as well as the Civil War resources in my prepub order. I still hope to use the classical stuff, though, and it would actually be nice if they came up on searches.

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:06 AM

In Logos 3 adding resources would have slowed global searches. But in L4 since every word of every resource is indexed, I don't think there should be a material impact to search speed. As Mark noted, the indexing process itself will be slower. That should be proportionate not to the number of additional resources but to their size. Another note - I'm thinking that most of the Perseus resources are in Greek (or Latin?), so when you are searching for English words, L4 should be smart enough to ignore those resources anyway.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:56 AM

Keith Gant:
But in L4 since every word of every resource is indexed, I don't think there should be a material impact to search speed.

The more resources one is searching the longer the search speed even for indexed resources.

Keith Gant:
I'm thinking that most of the Perseus resources are in Greek (or Latin?), so when you are searching for English words, L4 should be smart enough to ignore those resources anyway.

It certainly should be.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:44 AM

Mark Smith:

Keith Gant:
But in L4 since every word of every resource is indexed, I don't think there should be a material impact to search speed.

The more resources one is searching the longer the search speed even for indexed resources.

On my laptop even complex searches with lists take only a fraction of a second, across a library of > 2,000 resources.That's why I would not expect a "material" impact with adding resources. But admittedly, I have an i7 CPU and a SSD. Smile

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:59 AM

Keith Gant:

On my laptop even complex searches with lists take only a fraction of a second, across a library of > 2,000 resources.That's why I would not expect a "material" impact with adding resources. But admittedly, I have an i7 CPU and a SSD. Smile

Go ahead! Rub it in!  Big Smile

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:08 AM

Would it have an effect if you "hid" the resources? My understanding is that you still own them, but they are not an "active" part of your library, and that you can later "unhide" them.

Does that make sense?

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:48 AM

Fred Greco:
Would it have an effect if you "hid" the resources? My understanding is that you still own them, but they are not an "active" part of your library, and that you can later "unhide" them.

Hiding resources removes them from your HD and Library so they will not contribute at all to Logos overhead. Unhiding them causes Logos 4 to re-download and index them. Of course you only want to do this with portions of the Perseus collection you never expect to use.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:56 AM

Ελληνική απλά μου πρέπει να βελτιωθεί, ώστε να επωφεληθούν από αυτούς τους πόρους.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1074
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:01 AM

FWIW Hiding resources and then showing them later does not lose any tagging data that you have added .... but .... AFAIK ... hiding is still a case of dragging each resource one at a time ... will each of the Perseus volumes be a single drag .. or many?

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:30 AM

Jerry M:

Ελληνική απλά μου πρέπει να βελτιωθεί, ώστε να επωφεληθούν από αυτούς τους πόρους.

Not necessarily!

http://translate.google.com/translate   Geeked

Posts 3663
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:53 AM

Keith Gant:

Same here with nearly 2 year-old config listed in signoff...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 3:58 PM

Martin Folley:
FWIW Hiding resources and then showing them later does not lose any tagging data that you have added

And you have to rebuild the Library index (+ bible index if any are bibles) to remove their index entries!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:21 PM

Keith Gant:
Another note - I'm thinking that most of the Perseus resources are in Greek (or Latin?), so when you are searching for English words, L4 should be smart enough to ignore those resources anyway.

As you stated, every word is indexed so a Search involves finding words in the Index and then checking (from the index data) which resources they come from. Only if the resource is relevant to the Search will it be opened to confirm the find.

BTW English words can potentially be found in any Greek, Latin, Hebrew resource from any English-speaking publisher!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:31 AM

Mark Smith:

Fred Greco:

Hiding resources removes them from your HD and Library so they will not contribute at all to Logos overhead. Unhiding them causes Logos 4 to re-download and index them. Of course you only want to do this with portions of the Perseus collection you never expect to use.

I'm more concerned with the Civil War and Arabic collections. As I understand it, it is "now or never" on getting these resources as free Pre Pubs. I don't really have a use for them now, but may in the future, and don't want to miss out. But I really don't need to see results or searches in Civil War resources everyday.

Fred Greco

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:49 AM

Fred Greco:
As I understand it, it is "now or never" on getting these resources as free Pre Pubs.

Fred, I don't think Logos has ever said that these won't be free.  The reason for using the pre-pub system is to moderate the load on their servers and network.  They said on the blog:

"Because of the massive size of this project, the release has the potential to overwhelm our servers. We simply don’t have the capacity to deliver this much content all at once to all the users who want it, so we’ll be releasing it in stages on a first-come, first-served basis.

1. We’re taking pre-orders. By placing a Pre-Pub order, you can reserve your spot in line. Don’t worry, even though you’re placing an order, you won’t be charged anything.
  2. In a few weeks, when we’re ready to release, we will remove Perseus from our website altogether. It will go offline for a period of time while we process the orders, and it won’t be available to anyone. Depending on how many pre-orders we get, it could be offline for quite some time.
  3. Once all the pre-orders for all collections are processed, we’ll bring it back to Logos.com so more people can download and enjoy it."

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:22 AM

Todd,

Hopefully Logos will comment here, but I called them yesterday and spoke to someone in sales, who told me exactly what I posted above. It is basically a now or never free purchase. I'm more than happy to be corrected, but that is what I was told.

Fred Greco

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 1:05 PM

Fred Greco:
I'm more than happy to be corrected, but that is what I was told.

I would always take the blog over a sales person in this situation. Especially since I've seen nothing in the promotions or past policies to support the position given by the sales person.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 1:17 PM

MJ. Smith:

Fred Greco:
I'm more than happy to be corrected, but that is what I was told.

I would always take the blog over a sales person in this situation. Especially since I've seen nothing in the promotions or past policies to support the position given by the sales person.

More than likely, what the sales person attempted to communicate was that they're about to leave Pre-Pub. He or she probably applied the typical "pre-pub filter," so to speak, to the conversation saying, "if you want to be sure that you get the deal being promo'ed on Pre-Pub right now, get it right now."

Don't worry, though. As the blog post stated, users will be unable to order Perseus for a while as we process pre-orders. But it will be back up, live, and free again eventually.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS