Created Personal Book, that has no Table of Content

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:19 AM

Hello everyone

I have finally been successful at creating my Personal Book in Logos 4, it is very exciting to be able to do this.

As I started reading the "How to's" documentation in Logos 4 help, and watching the various training video's on the Logos website, I attempted to imitate what I read and saw in order to create a Table of Contents in my new book, all to no avail!,

I went over these video's and even came here to the forums several times in an attempt to perform the proper operation in my word processing program and my source document which would "communicate" to Logos to make the TOC; failure after failure!

The Word Processing program that I am using is Apple's Iworks 09, the Pages Word Processing software, I notice that all the training video's operations were performed using Windows Word Processors, I do not believe that the use of Pages Word Processor, which is similar to the Windows program is where the problem lies, although I could be wrong of course.

With my source document open in Pages, I go to the "View" Icon and click on it, go down the list of options and select "Show Styles Drawer", the Styles drawer opens, and under Paragraph Styles I go to Heading 1, Heading 2 etc., I slide my cursor over the "Chapter 1" text in my source document, and select it; then I select Heading 1 in the Styles Drawer, then I go to the Fonts, Italics, selectors and pick the size and other characteristics of this text, then under Heading  1, in the drop down menu I select "Redefine style from selection," which is suppose to tag that text, or so I thought.

I repeat this process for each heading. Each time I've attempted to compile my book in Logos 4 using the Book Builder, the build is successful, then when the book opens in Logos, no TOC.  I know I am probably doing something wrong.

Can anyone here please help me?Big Smile

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:54 AM

Harry, I am not a Mac user, but would guess that it is due to the different ways in which styles are stored in a document created by Pages and by MS Word. The book builder apparently does not recognize the styles you've applied as it would if you used MS Word. Just a guess and the Mac users can probably confirm that or show you what you are doing wrong.

I don't know if there is an option to use an online version of MS Word via the Mac as there is in Windows (Windows Live), but if there is that might be something to check out a portion of your book with.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:10 AM

Harry - 

If you feel comfortable uploading the .docx file in this forum, I will take a look.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for your quick responses, Mark, I will certainly check out what you're suggesting, and Alabama24, I have no problem with uploading my .docx file in this forum, if I only knew how, can I just Copy and paste it or what?

Right now I have to go back to work, will be gone for a few hours, by the time I come back, I'll be happy to upload that file

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 1:00 PM

Harry - 

To upload a picture or document, click on the paperclip icon in the formatting pallet. It will open an "insert media" dialog box for you. Click on "choose file" and navigate to your .docx. You will then need to click "insert." NOTE: the "insert" button is often hidden below and you will need to scroll the dialogue box down.

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 3:21 PM

2604.Symbolism of the Book of revelation.docx

Okay I followed your instructions, here is my source document, hope this helps.

Posts 278
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:33 PM

You can test!2438.2604.Symbolism of the Book of revelation.docx

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:43 PM

Ben thank you, you have done it, now I am afraid you are going to have to give me the details of exactly how you did it so that I can continue writing my Book.

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 6:16 PM

Harry Grant:
The Word Processing program that I am using is Apple's Iworks 09, the Pages Word Processing software

Harry - 

How are you saving the document as a .docx file? I don't believe that pages 09 will do this (I am hoping the next version will - I have '08). The problem may be in the way you are translating the document to .docx. When I open your file, there are NO headings anywhere. In my screenshot below, you can see that "chapter 1" is in the "normal" style. It should be "heading 1" or "heading 2" etc.

If you don't have Word, you might try the free LibreOffice. It's not as nice as Pages or Word, but did I mention that its FREE?

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:42 PM

Alabama you are probably near what the problem is, You are exactly right Pages 09 cannot save a word document in a .docx extension; it can only save it in a .doc extension.

After writing the document in pages, I save as a doc file, then I go locate that saved doc file, and double click it, and it opens in Apple's little TextEdit program, where I then save it as a .docx file.

So what I am learning from all of you all who answered this post, I may be able to produce a personal book using the book builder, but it won't have a TOC, if I continue to use the current method of saving this document in these two program's

I really appreciate your efforts guys, thanks for your patience, and I will certainly take you'all's suggestions under advisement

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:13 PM

I would try opening the pages file (exported as a .doc) in LibreOffice. Then save it as a .docx. Worth a try. Smile

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:35 PM

Harry Grant:

So what I am learning from all of you all who answered this post, I may be able to produce a personal book using the book builder, but it won't have a TOC, if I continue to use the current method of saving this document in these two program's

Since you can't retain styles that PB recognizes that is true. You need another approach to creating the document in the first place that retains the correct style coding. Other than having to spend $$ for it, is there a reason you would not own MS Word for the Mac?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:43 PM

I am downloading Microsoft Office for Mac as we speak,

Again thanks to all, Happy Book Building.

By the way, after I get up and running with MS word, do I just follow the training video's to make my TOC, is it as easy as those Logos training video's portray?

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:01 PM

I have not had any difficulties. Whenever I use the "headings," Logos creates a TOC. It is also cool that they will nest - i.e. "Heading 2" will be under "Heading 1." These are collapsable. 

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:04 PM

Mark Smith:
is there a reason you would not own MS Word for the Mac?

It is chunky and inelegant. Unfortunately, we need it for PBB.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:15 PM

alabama24:
It is chunky and inelegant.

Definitely not something Mac users go for. Wink

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:37 PM

Mark Smith:

alabama24:
It is chunky and inelegant.

Definitely not something Mac users go for. Wink

Observation: Microsoft Word 2010 for Windows supports logosres: hyperlinks while newer Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac does not.

Scrivener can export to docx => http://www.literatureandlatte.com/index.php

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 3:33 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Scrivener can export to docx => http://www.literatureandlatte.com/index.php

The problem with Scrivener is a total lack of Style support :-/

Posts 15
Harry Grant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:13 AM

I downloaded the trial version of MS Word (Office) for Mac  2011, so I have'nt paid for it yet, but are you saying that I won't get full syntax functionality with MS Word for Mac 2011?

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:25 AM

There is a problem with inserting hyperlinks through word's hyperlink feature. I think you can circumvent this manually.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS