7" or 10" tablet: pros and cons concerning size?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2011 8:24 AM

For you tablet owners, which size do you prefer and why? Because of price than anything else, I'm leaning towards getting a 7" tablet. One of our members shared a link concerning the new Lenovo A1, really attractive at $199. I had thought about waiting till next year when, hopefully, the iPad 3 is to be released, but $200 really appeals to my budget.

What does one give up with the smaller screen? Is it a matter of viewing websites? It seems a 7" screen would be better for reading Logos books, or is it? A 10" seems better to use in preaching/teaching. Then again, a $200 7" tablet may be a good transition tablet to see where the market is going over the next couple of years. I'm looking for any input you may have.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 8:31 AM

Good question Bill!  I would have to say that the greatest strength of a tablet is its ability read Logos and other e-books.  I've not seen these on a 7" tablet would assume the more room the better.  Also when web browsing, while I realize most tablets zoom in quite easily, to be able to view more of the website at one time really helps with navigating it.  These are both reasons why I can't get used to using Logos or the internet much on my iPod touch and Android phone.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:18 AM

It looks like the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 prices will be as follows: $200 (8GB), $250 (16GB), and $300 (32GB).

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:29 AM

I think it all depends on what you plan on using it for.  I've got an iPad and find it a very good size for using as an e-book reader, and for reading and typing emails, and surfing the net.  I was on an aircraft recently and peeked at someone using a 7" tablet and did think it looked rather small.  However, it's all down to preference, and perhaps you should pop down a local store and get your hands on both so see which you prefer.  I don't think portability is an issue either way since neither a 7" or 10" tablet will fit in your pocket!

I bought my iPad as a refurbished product from the Apple Store.  When it arrived, it was immaculately packaged and was brand-new in all but name.  It also came with the full Apple warranty.  I made an excellent saving on it too!

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:38 AM

Bill Moore:

For you tablet owners, which size do you prefer and why? Because of price than anything else, I'm leaning towards getting a 7" tablet. One of our members shared a link concerning the new Lenovo A1, really attractive at $199. I had thought about waiting till next year when, hopefully, the iPad 3 is to be released, but $200 really appeals to my budget.

What does one give up with the smaller screen? Is it a matter of viewing websites? It seems a 7" screen would be better for reading Logos books, or is it? A 10" seems better to use in preaching/teaching. Then again, a $200 7" tablet may be a good transition tablet to see where the market is going over the next couple of years. I'm looking for any input you may have.

From my perspective.

Pros of 7": price (for Nook Color, Archos, Lenovo A1, etc), portability, weight, better resolution (e.g. Nook Color 7" @ 1024x600 vs. iPad 9.7" @ 1024x786 means more pixels on Nook Color so text is sharper) - this is true of some other 7" tablets releasing now

Cons of 7": web browsing is awkward/easier to hit the wrong link or button, it's a bit small for editing notes, and for most Android tablets, reading it when turned in portrait mode can feel a bit strange, e.g. too tall and narrow

Pros of 10": web browsing is easy, apps are bigger, document editing works better, PDFs are legible without messing with zoom and scrolling back and forth, good for preaching/teaching from notes, or looking at a verse in a larger context

Cons of 10": weight, price, usually lower resolution proportionately, not all apps scale well, Kindle and similar apps have wasted space (at least on iPad - I could get probably 3/4 as much text on the Nook Color even though the device was physically about half the size).

Hope that helps.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:47 AM

Bill it seems that some of the budget priced 7" tablets (as with the budget 10") also offer considerably less storage space.  I would be hesitant to go under 32GB and if you did buy a 16GB it would be a plus to have an expandable flash card option with the ability to take on another 8GB or 16GB (expandable memory being an option the iPad does not have and Steve Jobs would never permit... then again we are living in a somewhat post Steve Jobs Apple world)

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:54 AM

Paul C:

I think it all depends on what you plan on using it for.  I've got an iPad and find it a very good size for using as an e-book reader, and for reading and typing emails, and surfing the net.  I was on an aircraft recently and peeked at someone using a 7" tablet and did think it looked rather small.  However, it's all down to preference, and perhaps you should pop down a local store and get your hands on both so see which you prefer.  I don't think portability is an issue either way since neither a 7" or 10" tablet will fit in your pocket!

I bought my iPad as a refurbished product from the Apple Store.  When it arrived, it was immaculately packaged and was brand-new in all but name.  It also came with the full Apple warranty.  I made an excellent saving on it too!

A refurbed iPad seems the way to go if one settles upon an iPad, and I may end up there.

A "local" store for me is about 35 minutes away. Smile

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:00 AM

Daniel Lee:

From my perspective.

Pros of 7": price (for Nook Color, Archos, Lenovo A1, etc), portability, weight, better resolution (e.g. Nook Color 7" @ 1024x600 vs. iPad 9.7" @ 1024x786 means more pixels on Nook Color so text is sharper) - this is true of some other 7" tablets releasing now

Cons of 7": web browsing is awkward/easier to hit the wrong link or button, it's a bit small for editing notes, and for most Android tablets, reading it when turned in portrait mode can feel a bit strange, e.g. too tall and narrow

Pros of 10": web browsing is easy, apps are bigger, document editing works better, PDFs are legible without messing with zoom and scrolling back and forth, good for preaching/teaching from notes, or looking at a verse in a larger context

Cons of 10": weight, price, usually lower resolution proportionately, not all apps scale well, Kindle and similar apps have wasted space (at least on iPad - I could get probably 3/4 as much text on the Nook Color even though the device was physically about half the size).

Hope that helps.

The sharper text on a 7" screen would offset the web browsing limitation, I think. My reason for purchasing would primarily be Logos. Of course, better resolution for 10" screens is probably around the corner. I wonder if the lower resolution diminishes the 10" advantage over 7" tablets for teaching/preaching.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:05 AM

Paul Newsome:

Bill it seems that some of the budget priced 7" tablets (as with the budget 10") also offer considerably less storage space.  I would be hesitant to go under 32GB and if you did buy a 16GB it would be a plus to have an expandable flash card option with the ability to take on another 8GB or 16GB (expandable memory being an option the iPad does not have and Steve Jobs would never permit... then again we are living in a somewhat post Steve Jobs Apple world)

I've considered 32GB to be the "sweet spot" for hard drive storage, especially when considering an iPad. The expandable memory in most Android apps changes things some, it seems.

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:55 AM

I've played with a lot of tablets as a reviewer and currently iPad is king bar none. I have an Asus Eee Pad Transformer and an iPad 2 and the Asus stays on my nightstand only gets use when the iPad is in need of electricity. I had a Nook Color and while I liked it, it is not an iPad and not as versatile.

Also consider this. The Logos iPad app is much better than the Android version. Not sure when they will get feature parity but based on the glacial rate of development of both I'm guessing something really big or great is just around the corner.

Apps for the iPad are so far ahead of the Android realm. The only problem with the iPad is cost compared to some of the budget Android tablets. But you get what you pay for and I would suggest saving up and buy an iPad.

Just so you know I'm not just an iOS fanboy, I have an Android phone which replaced my iPhone and I'm happy I did.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:10 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I've played with a lot of tablets as a reviewer and currently iPad is king bar none. I have an Asus Eee Pad Transformer and an iPad 2 and the Asus stays on my nightstand only gets use when the iPad is in need of electricity. I had a Nook Color and while I liked it, it is not an iPad and not as versatile.

Also consider this. The Logos iPad app is much better than the Android version. Not sure when they will get feature parity but based on the glacial rate of development of both I'm guessing something really big or great is just around the corner.

Apps for the iPad are so far ahead of the Android realm. The only problem with the iPad is cost compared to some of the budget Android tablets. But you get what you pay for and I would suggest saving up and buy an iPad.

Just so you know I'm not just an iOS fanboy, I have an Android phone which replaced my iPhone and I'm happy I did.

Good points, Kevin, especially coming from your hands-on experience and tech knowledge. I hope the iPad 3 is released before Spring 2012.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 12:37 PM

I have used a Nook Color (7 inch) and now have an iPad 2. The iPad is much better for viewing Logos resources in the iOS app on a 10 inch screen. If you want to split the screen and link a Bible on one side and a commentary on the other, it works pretty well.  I don't think the Android beta has implemented the split screen feature yet, and so no one has been able to see how well a 7 inch Android tablet would work out in this use case. I suspect using a 7 inch screen wouldn't be ideal for this.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 3:28 PM

Bill Anderson:

I have used a Nook Color (7 inch) and now have an iPad 2. The iPad is much better for viewing Logos resources in the iOS app on a 10 inch screen. If you want to split the screen and link a Bible on one side and a commentary on the other, it works pretty well.  I don't think the Android beta has implemented the split screen feature yet, and so no one has been able to see how well a 7 inch Android tablet would work out in this use case. I suspect using a 7 inch screen wouldn't be ideal for this.

The split screen is something I did not know about. Thanks, Bill, for sharing that.

How do the fonts compare on the iPad 2 with the Nook Color?

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 3:52 PM

Bill, I have no opinion to offer re:iPad's, but if you are looking at Android OS then an ASUS Transformer would serve you well.  I bought the 32GB option, and have downloaded much of my library onto it...and it is still zippy as!  I, too, am awaiting improved functionality from L4 for Android, but in the last couple of months, some major improvements have been made...and I'm sure the rest are going to be released post haste!  Again, I don't know about the iPad L4 app.

I find the 10" screen really workable...I couldn't imagine a 7"...I mean...my phone does most of what I need for the smaller apps...I bought the Transformer especially for L4 usage, and for playing the Hebrew/Greek DVD's and Mark Barnes videos whilst I follow what they are saying/doing on my laptop.  Whilst I do have a dual monitor set up, my laptop is really old and needs replacing...so for me, the Transformer and laptop option work best for now.  So, yeah,  I think 10" is better.

Hope this helps Cool

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:09 PM

Bill I ditto Mebin's  comments.  I love my Transformer and I got it just for L4 usage as well.

Claybon Cool

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:50 PM

Thanks, guys. I've thought seriously about the Asus Transformer, or at least the tablet part of it. I'm not sure another $150 for the keyboard would be money well spent for me, but it's a neat concept.

The resolution of the Transformer is 1280 by 800 and that of the iPad 2 is 1024 by 768. Does that translate into sharper font on the Transformer? I have to admit being let down by the text fonts on some iPad 2's I've seen. I suspect my Kindle has spoiled me.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 6:36 PM

Bill Moore:

How do the fonts compare on the iPad 2 with the Nook Color?

The screens are different between the iPad 2 and Nook Color. Both are good in my estimation. The resolution on the Nook Color is pretty good, so fonts turn out clean. 

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 7:31 PM

Bill...I'm not sure about the iPad resolution, but the transformer  is more than adequate for L4 purposes...(I would say amazing - but then someone more tech oriented would prove me wrong...lol).  If you are considering the Transformer though...definately get the keyboard (especally if your main purpose is L4)...but the main benefit is the 16 hours battery life it gives you!!!  Also, the 2 USB ports are in the keyboard, so if you want more functionality (eg. USB dongle for true wireless) and extra storage options...the keyboard really is a no brainer to me.  

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2011 10:52 AM

Is Mebin:

Bill...I'm not sure about the iPad resolution, but the transformer  is more than adequate for L4 purposes...(I would say amazing - but then someone more tech oriented would prove me wrong...lol).  If you are considering the Transformer though...definately get the keyboard (especally if your main purpose is L4)...but the main benefit is the 16 hours battery life it gives you!!!  Also, the 2 USB ports are in the keyboard, so if you want more functionality (eg. USB dongle for true wireless) and extra storage options...the keyboard really is a no brainer to me.  

I've read that the Transformer's resolution is excellent. I wonder how it compares with the font "crispness" of the iPad 2, which was not excellent to me. I have some vision issues and this is one of the most important criteria to me.

That's one reason that the rumored iPad 3 caught my attention, the prospective higher resolution. Then, too, I read today that the Transformer 2 may be released in October. There's always something new around the bend, isn't there? Whatever I determine will best suit my needs is what I'll buy within the next few months, and then I won't pay much attention to the "next thing" in tablets for a couple of years.

I'm sure the keyboard is a great complement to the tablet, but I'm interested in a tablet primarily to read Logos books, not do much in the way of study per se. I use my Lenovo ThinkPad notebook for that.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2011 4:54 PM

Bill Moore:

I'm sure the keyboard is a great complement to the tablet, but I'm interested in a tablet primarily to read Logos books, not do much in the way of study per se. I use my Lenovo ThinkPad notebook for that.

Yes Bill, that was my exact reason for buying the TF tablet too...but it impressed me so much that I use it more than my laptop now...to the point that I now have my laptop on my desk with a second monitor plugged in (I don't own a desktop)...and use the TF for my mobile option...the only time I need the extra power of the laptop for L4 not at my desk...I just unplug it...but for the majority of what I want to do whilst out and about, like in the car, etc...the TF is so good, and the mobile app really is improving.  I am a security guard, so there are plenty of times at work I make use of my TF!!!  So, for me, the keyboard is just essential (and dont forget the extra 16 hours battery life)!

Anyway...just trying to help...you probably have way different needs than me.  Blessings on your choice mate!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS