Collection Help

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:13 PM

Mark Barnes:
It's a great idea, but it's a bit more complex than that, when it comes to books that are very similar to one another. I haven't needed to write collection rules for all books of the Bible yet, but the ones I have are:

Yes Concur with complex (especially books with similar names).  For Corinthian rules, compared Library search for type:comm corinth with collection rules.  By the way, collections look similar to ones on Example Collections wiki page, which were consulted and provided helpful examples for canonical collection rules.

By the way, Canonical Commentary Collections has Logos Bible Book #'s from 01 (Genesis) to 87 (Revelation).

Mark Barnes:
1 Corinthians: (subject:("1 Corinthians", "Corinthians, 1st", "Corinthians. 1st"), title:corinth) AND type:bible-commentary ANDNOT (title:("2 Corinthians", second, "II Corinthians") ANDNOT (title:(first, 1, "i"), subject:(1st, "1 Corinthians")))

May want to review (revise) title exclusions since have 4 one volume Corinthian commentaries that would be excluded:

Witherington, B., III. (1995). Conflict and Community in Corinth : A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on 1 and 2 Corinthians. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.  logosres:sorhet67co1;ref=Bible.1Co13.4-7

Pratt, R. L., Jr. (2000). Vol. 7: I & II Corinthians. Holman New Testament Commentary; Holman Reference. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers.  logosres:hntc67co;ref=Bible.1Co13.4

Simeon, C. (1832-63). Horae Homileticae Vol. 16: 1 and 2 Corinthians. London.  logosres:hh16;ref=Bible.1Co13.4-7

Utley, R. J. (2002). Vol. Volume 6: Paul's Letters to a Troubled Church: I and II Corinthians. Study Guide Commentary Series. Marshall, TX: Bible Lessons International.  logosres:blint06;ref=Bible.1Co13.4

Note: Horae Homileticae series has several single volumes covering many books whose metadata (Subject is "Bible--Homiletical use.") that does not match title and subject inclusion.

By the way, Logos metadata for Nicene and Post-Nicene Early Church Fathers does not have Corinthians (Subject is "Christian literature, Early").

Schaff, P. (1997). The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers Vol. XII. Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems.  logosres:npnf12;ref=Bible.1Co13.4-6

Added Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers volumes to:

18 Psalms: Type:Commentary AND (Subject:Psalms,Title:(Psalms,”First Series, Volume VIII”))

64 John: Type:Commentary AND (Subject:John,Title:(John,”First Series, Volume VII”,”First Series, Volume XIV”) ANDNOT Title:(Apocalypse,Epistles,Letter,1 John”,”2 John”,”3 John”,Jude,Revelation))

Likewise updated One Volume commentary rules to add one volume "Believer's Bible Commentary" while excluding "Believers Church Bible Commentary" series.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 3:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
May want to review (revise) title exclusions since have 4 one volume Corinthian commentaries that would be excluded:

No, each of those four commentaries (including Horae Homileticae) are included in the collection. If you look carefully you'll see that commentaries with 2/II Corinthians in the title are only excluded if 1, 1st, First, or I do not appear.

No collection string is going to be perfect, of course, and as you say will need a little adjustment for volumes with poor metatagging.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:23 PM

Mark Barnes:

No, each of those four commentaries (including Horae Homileticae) are included in the collection. If you look carefully you'll see that commentaries with 2/II Corinthians in the title are only excluded if 1, 1st, First, or I do not appear.

Apologies Embarrassed plus Thanks for explanation; should have copied whole collection rule to understand ANDNOT usage instead of copying a portion that appeared to exclude some, me bad plus learning  to be very careful with parenthesis sets.

Collection rule: Type:Commentary AND (Subject:("1 Corinthians","Corinthians, 1st","Corinthians. 1st"),Title:Corinth) ANDNOT (Title:(2,Second,II) ANDNOT (Title:(First,1,"i"),Subject:1)) has same 19 results but removing quotes around i changes results (goes up to 22).

Mark Barnes:
No collection string is going to be perfect, of course, and as you say will need a little adjustment for volumes with poor metatagging.

Comparing collection rules, found similar Corinthian content results in my Library since one commentary series of 4 volumes has Corinthians in Title with one volume containing Corinthian content plus an Early Church Fathers volume with poor meta tagging so 19 -3 + 1 = 17 (one rule is bit shorter, but not know if shorter rule has issues in a library with lots more resources)

Thanks for collection feedback, added seven alternate rules to http://wiki.logos.com/Canonical_Commentary_Collections (expanded 1 Corinthians and 1 Peter rules previously posted along, then used lessons learned to create three John epistle rules)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 10:31 AM

SPAM?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 11:32 AM

Thanks for collection feedback, added seven alternate rules to http://wiki.logos.com/Canonical_Commentary_Collections 

KS4J  . . . Thanks so much for the great help with the collections. I was able to compose all those collections in about 30 min! What a blessing!! :-)

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS