Passage Guide is a GREAT DISAPPIONTMENT

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 52 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:44 AM

Philip said:"If you do not want innovation go pick up a book. You are in the realm of software and things will change. If Logos made everything in Logos 4 work like it did in Logos 3 it would be Logos 3.5, Not Logos 4. I hate using the term, but I believe it applies. I find it arrogant for you to assume that because you can't open up a program and find how you want to do things in 5 minutes that it must not be there. No, Logos 4 was not specifically talored for you and you will need to invest a little bit of time learning some of the new ways rather then expecting L4 to work like L3. If Logos made L4 import everything from L3 they would be making it a slave to the way L3 did things. Most of the points you championed as the chief proofs that L4 is inferior are invalid and based off of false assumptions."

IMO they should have kept the positives of V3 very similar to V4 (if it ain't broke why break it?)  I have and am using V4, tring to find as many video examples as I can and trying to figure out how to use stuff, but am finding it VERY difficult myself.  While they have some/many of the positive features of V3 in some form or another it is very confusing trying to figure out where they are and how they function. 

IMO they should GIVE the guides (that will have to be bought) with every base package.  Mass confusion doesn't help with word of mouth advertising.  I was in the process of getting some pastor friends on board with Logos/Libronix starting a couple of weeks ago. (showing them the bells and whistles of V3) but have now told them it would be a good idea to wait 3-6 months before purchasing the program.  I'll work on it and then when I'm comfortable handling the program I'll try and get some of my pastor friends on board. 

I'm confidient that I will come around to liking V4 (mass confusion and frustration currently) but my initial impression (3 days now) is not all that positive.  This is mainly due to the lack of detailed how-to easy to follow and understand instructions of how to do all the GREAT things V3 did in V4.

I'm finding it very difficult to understand why they changed so many of the great things that V3 or at least made it frustraitingly difficult to find out how to do it in V4.

That all being said.  I had some gripes posted, and got a postive personal response fromt he CEO of Logos.  What other company in the WORLD would do that?  I have confidence in the company, but confidence in V4 has a ways to go.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:57 AM

JeremiahDanielMorris:
I'm finding it very difficult to understand why they changed so many of the great things that V3 or at least made it frustraitingly difficult to find out how to do it in V4.

Not knowing exactly the function of 3 your trying to replicate I'll use collections as an example, and I think I might have above. Collections are drastically different from V3. Logos could have made it possible to import collections from 4 into 3, but to do so would force 4 to accept some of the limitations of 3, or at least to bloat the software with code that will not be used much 2 years from now. After the initial switch has been made by most users from 3 to 4 the code becomes useless. so long as it was tied to the way 3 was done we would not be able to benefit from the advantages of dynamic collections. For new users, they will not realize what they are missing. They will come in, look at the help (at least in a future incarnation of it :-) and say, "oh, that's easy and really helpful." To a new user of Logos they may say "boy, I wish I could keep a list of verses. Hope they add it as a feature in the future." To Us 3 crossovers we're thinking "boy, where did verse lists go?"

I  hope this gives a little more, and <humbled> better intentioned, explanation of what I had in mind.<still humbled>

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:59 AM

Bro. Pavich, thank you for this video

http://www.screencast.com/users/rpavich123/folders/Jing/media/9ed421e6-dd6d-4d9b-b045-7bc2468f307a

Keep em coming, they are VERY helpfull to noobs like myself.  :)  Be nice to post a mass-collection of user videos somwhere.  The logos tourital videos are helpful to a degree, but are not as indepth as I'd like.  User customization was what has sold Logos/Lib in the past, knowing how to do it with V4 will boost my confidence in the program.  TYTYTYTYTY!

Now give me more please!  lol

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:01 AM

Jeremiah..

then I will post more (better) ones this weekend..!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:05 AM

To "love" somthing and then hear people gripe/complain about it is always difficult. (So no complaining about my wife Stick out tongue )

Thank you for your post.  Do you have any videos that you have made?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:07 AM

Jeremiah...I have made many "off the cuff" videos without sound like you saw here..they are for specific questions....

They're are scattered around the forums...

I'll try and do a few good ones on the subjects that keep popping up and having them uploaded by the end of the weekend....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:09 AM

Users of V3 are going to be the MAIN sales-reps of V4 (esp. since retailers are now out of the picture)  Keeping them happy should (and I think is) be a high priority. 

Granted "you can't keep all the people happy all the time"

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:11 AM

Bro. Pavich, I am filled with antisipation! Big Smile

Posts 85
Jeffrey Mashaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:12 AM

Robert Pavich:

Jeremiah...I have made many "off the cuff" videos without sound like you saw here..they are for specific questions....

They're are scattered around the forums...

I think we need to start a user wiki/help where the advanced users could post stuff like videos and tutorials. I like forums, but it's hard to keep the relevent info together among all the useless info and chatter.

Macbook Pro  |  OSX 10.6.8  |  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 |  4 GB Ram  |  320 GB HDD

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:12 AM

JeremiahDanielMorris:
Users of V3 are going to be the MAIN sales-reps of V4 (esp. since retailers are now out of the picture)  Keeping them happy should (and I think is) be a high priority. 

This is a good point that needs to be kept in mind.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:17 AM

Jeff, I second the motion!

Now... get to it!  (I don't know how)  I fall into the realm of technically illeterate but wanting to learn catagory

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:20 AM

Randy Hartman:
Dear Whine-dell.

I hate to have to do this, but please stop the name calling.

and to anticipate a probable response.... it doesn't matter who started it.

Thanks.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:25 AM

Clinton Thomas:

I hate to have to do this, but please stop the name calling.

and to anticipate a probable response.... it doesn't matter who started it.

This thread has moved very quickly and I think we are past that. I just hate that a brother was hurt  in it all.

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS