Full index in process after the last update

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:39 AM

I was searching in Lake's Apostolic Fathers and saw a pop up that this was a new resource and I should run an index. Reading about supplemental indexes being much shorter, I did. The estimated time is almost 9 hrs, similar to a complete index. I think the supplemental index had run and the popup was for a full merger. If so I want to stop this and not have it return again when I re-open L4.

Is this correct? Please advise.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:48 AM

From a post last Thursday:

Bradley Grainger:

For many users, the system may decide that so many resources have been updated that building a supplemental index is not worth the time, and it will automatically build a new main index.

If you want to guarantee that a main index is built, you can delete your "Logos4\Data\...\LibraryIndex" folder (while the program isn't running). This isn't recommended, because it will completely disable searching until the index finishes building (but if you do it overnight that may not be an issue).

Unfortunately, "reindex now" didn't make it into 4.0, but it's on the list for 4.0a, and I just bumped its priority. Smile

You have to quit logos first, and kill the Logos4Indexer process before deleting that folder.  The full path to that folder is something like this on XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\{randomdata}\LibraryIndex

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:51 AM

Todd,

If I read things correctly,  I believe that would make things even worse. I want to stop this index and return to the supplemental index.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:52 AM

JohnFidel:

Todd,

If I read things correctly,  I believe that would make things even worse. I want to stop this index and return to the supplemental index.

Don't think that is possible. (I thought you wanted to stop the supplemental index to do full index)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:53 AM

John,

The popup was definitely for a full merger. This always shows in the new resources section of a search if you are operating with a supplemental index.

Thus, you have unwittingly trigged a full index.

I do not know how to stop this....

Posts 27972
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:58 AM

Unfortunately it is not a pop up and has caught a few people. It is a complete re-index, merging supplemental with main. Once started it can only be paused.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:18 AM

I will reindex tonight... however, I suggest that this popup be removed. It is not clear especially since this process is new and the consequences are significant... please.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:20 AM

JohnFidel:

I will reindex tonight... however, I suggest that this popup be removed. It is not clear especially since this process is new and the consequences are significant... please.

John, I agree.

The message which appears in the newly added resources search sections ought simply direct people to run a command if they would like to perform a complete reindex. Such a command is still coming

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:58 AM
how about right mouse click on task bar icon and you get pause and cancel. it only makes sense what do you think bradley?
Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:07 AM

JohnFidel:
how about right mouse click on task bar icon and you get pause and cancel. it only makes sense what do you think bradley?

Click on the icon in the task bar and you get a chance to pause indexing for 4 hours. You can restart indexing at any time. After 4 hours it will start again, but you can keep re-pausing it until a convenient time.

I had merged my indexes on Wed night. I got the Lake's update yesterday and did the supplemental index. Last night I tho't I'd do the merge, I figured with only one resource update (Lakes) and the update to SC4 since my last merge, it would be fairly brief. It wasn't - when I left it last night it showed nearly 5 hours remaining.

That seems strange given only one resource, but there are big things that happen under the hood, I guess.

I've established a routine of doing an "Update now" and merge indexes every night before I go to bed and let it run -- disconnected from the Internet after the update. Then reconnect the Internet in the morning and force a sync with "Sync Now." I'll keep doing this until the frequency of updates slows down. I do this to reduce the slowdowns during the day - especially if you leave Updates on.

Chris

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS