Last Chance!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30656
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2011 8:20 PM

The Desiderius Erasmus Collection (17 vols.) is currently on Community Pricing for $25, but my go as low as $20. Bidding will close on Friday. 

The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society writes that "To read Erasmus is to grow in wisdom." Michael Bauman of Hillsdale College says:

Michael Bauman:

Clearly the greatest and most prolific letter writer of his age, and arguably the finest epistolary artist of all time, Erasmus was master of the verbal craft. A master of humor, overstatement, invective, persuasion, comfort and praise, Erasmus was a virtuoso of the phrase well turned and of the argument well honed. He knew that the pen was mightier than the sword. Indeed, in his hand the pen was a sword—as well as a bludgeon and a warm embrace.

If you have any interest in this collection at all, you should bid now. You can always cancel the order later if you change your mind, but you can't get this great deal after bidding closes tomorrow.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1818
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:24 AM

alabama24:

If you have any interest in this collection at all, you should bid now. You can always cancel the order later if you change your mind, but you can't get this great deal after bidding closes tomorrow.

Music Its now or never Music

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1818
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:25 AM

alabama24:

Music Its now or never Music

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:26 AM

I'd like $5 off!

(...just over 5.5 hours left!)

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:46 AM

Already in.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:27 AM

IN!!!!

Posts 30656
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:40 AM

You can find the link Here:

http://www.logos.com/product/9440/the-desiderius-erasmus-collection

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:13 AM

Friends, we are about 10'ish people short and (as of this posting) just under three hours from closing on this magnificent CP at $20 !!!

CLICK HERE TO BID: 

The Desiderius Erasmus Collection (17 vols.)

"I read dead people..."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:23 AM

And don't forget Cyril and Dionysius while you're at it. They're also Last Chance. Two and a half hour to go. 

Actually, it's embarrassing that we can't get Erasmus down to $20, and Cyril to at least $21. People are willing to pay $18 for one volume with a few sermons, but not willing to pay $20 for 17 vols by one of the most important figures in Church history?? I guess I'm too Catholic, but that's beyond me...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1818
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:26 AM

Brother Mark:

Friends, we are about 10'ish people short and (as of this posting) just under three hours from closing on this magnificent CP at $20 !!!

CLICK HERE TO BID: 

The Desiderius Erasmus Collection (17 vols.)

In the words of a song come to my mind:  MusicI get by with a little help from my friendsMusic

In this case: Music I can pay less with a little help from  my friendsMusic

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:31 AM

Tom Rach:

In the words of a song come to my mind:  MusicI get by with a little help from my friendsMusic

In this case: Music I can pay less with a little help from  my friendsMusic

Yes

"I read dead people..."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:39 AM

fgh:

And don't forget Cyril and Dionysius while you're at it. They're also Last Chance. Two and a half hour to go. 

Actually, it's embarrassing that we can't get Erasmus down to $20, and Cyril to at least $21. People are willing to pay $18 for one volume with a few sermons, but not willing to pay $20 for 17 vols by one of the most important figures in Church history?? I guess I'm too Catholic, but that's beyond me...

(highlighting by Jones) Don't go saying that! You will scare off the timid non-Catholics. Erasmus should be read by EVERYONE. There are some writers that transcend all divisions of Christianity with their high scholarship, deep spirituality, sharp wit, or closeness to God. Erasmus is one of those writers. (Augustine, Aquinas, Chesterton, Packer, and Tozer are some more.)  Just one book by Erasmus is worth the CP price. If you find you don't appreciate him, you always have the 30 day satisfaction guarantee.     

17 books for $25??!!  Indifferent

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:42 AM

fgh:
Actually, it's embarrassing that we can't get Erasmus down to $20... People are willing to pay $18 for one volume with a few sermons, but not willing to pay $20 for 17 vols by one of the most important figures in Church history??

But another way of looking at it is that is paying $25 instead of $20 for all that material such a bad deal?! Surprise

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:25 AM

Paul C:
But another way of looking at it is that is paying $25 instead of $20 for all that material such a bad deal?! Surprise

Of course not, but the problem isn't that people won't bid $25, the problem is that they won't bid even $20. A few more $20 bids from people who've previously bid really low or not at all, and we all get it for $20. If they raise to $25 instead, well, that's better for them, since they will then be sure not to miss out, but for the rest of us it doesn't make any difference whether they bid $20 or $25.

My major point, though, was sadness about how few are willing to pay even $20 for such an important writer.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:43 PM

fgh:
My major point, though, was sadness about how few are willing to pay even $20 for such an important writer.

Well but we don't know how many or few actually bid, as we don't know Logos' production cost (which I expect to be higher than at a single resource).

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 2:50 PM

fgh:

Agreed.  Tozer made this point in the foreword of his book "The Knowledge of the Holy", saying essentially that if more people read the works of Augustine, Aquinas and others, and were willing to struggle and work through the concepts and issues presented in such works, there would be no need for the books he wrote.  It was somewhat humbling to read that, considering that Tozer's book was less than 130 pages if I remember correctly.  No one disputes, as far as I can tell, that Erasmus was one of the intellectual elite of his or perhaps any time.  Why, then, are so relatively few willing to pay what is a mere pittance for his writings?  Shouldn't Erasmus have gone over the top in days or weeks if people knew who he was, particularly in light of the book on his correspondence with Luther? 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS