Should I take the Plunge to Platinum? A Gold User Asks

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:32 PM

So I am wondering how often those who teach or preach frequently use the following resources that would be available in the upgrade:

Pillar NT Commentary

Charles Simeon’s Horae Homileticae Commentary

Berkouwer’s Studies in Dogmatics

A. W. Pink Collection (40 vols.)

Oxford Movement Historical Theology Collection

Works of John Bunyan (61 vols.)

Classic Commentaries on the Greek New Testament

Ironside's Commentaries.

Just trying to get a feel for value over what I already use and have.  I enjoy using the USB handbooks and the NIGNT series supplamented by the NAC and Holman.  The Sept 30 deadline is messing with my head because I thought Gold was all I needed.

I am a Presbyterian expository preacher with a liturgical bent if they helps anyone frame what I would be looking for.

My first post! Blessings.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 2:16 PM

Jerry I upgraded from Gold to Platinum as soon as I could. I have been blessed with the purchase. However, Baker removed their resources from this package. I don't know now if I would purchase it as I mostly use Baker's resources. That being said you will get some use from Pillar and Simeon. If you are into Theology Berkouwer and the Oxford collection may benefit you.  You either like Pink and Bunyan or you don't. Without those Baker resources I can't give you a recommendation for it. I love Platinum but it came with those Baker resources that I heavily use. At the time I was after BDAG and it was more cost effective to upgrade to Platinum.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:12 PM

Hi Jerry, & welcome to the forums!

Your self-description could've described me. Smile PCUSA, expository preacher (every week), follow the liturgy but not "married" to it (if God gives another word).

I did the upgrade from Gold to Platinum (original collection). So you asked how often we used:

Pillar NT Commentary - always

Charles Simeon’s Horae Homileticae Commentary - rarely

Berkouwer’s Studies in Dogmatics - do I have it? Wink

A. W. Pink Collection (40 vols.) - rarely

Oxford Movement Historical Theology Collection - do I have it? Wink

Works of John Bunyan (61 vols.) - do I have it? Wink

Classic Commentaries on the Greek New Testament - frequently; I find these often have insights that newer ones don't.

Ironside's Commentaries - rarely  

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:24 PM

I agree with the others who have responded.

I bought the original Platinum pkg. Tremendous value.

I really like and use the Pillar series. I haven't explored the other resources that you asked about.

You should be aware that the the more recent additions to the Pillar series were not included in the Platinum pkg. I have added each one as they became available. You might want to review the titles that are included and not included in the pkg.

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 4:27 PM

I recently went from silver to platinum, for me the pillar commentary was what made the upgrade worth the cost (the Ephesians commentary by o'brien is excellent, as well as john by DA Carson) BDAG sealed the deal, everything else was icing on the cake, might not use them much but nice to have just in case.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 5:48 PM

I vote in all caps YES.

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:14 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded!   I bought BDAG with HALOT a few months back and I have the Carson and O'Brien Pillar commentaries in Print.

So new question should I get the BECNT series and the pre-pub update instead of upgrading to Platinum since they are about the same price?

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:39 AM

Jerry Fourroux:
So new question should I get the BECNT series and the pre-pub update instead of upgrading to Platinum since they are about the same price?

If you're the type of person to think "if only" if you don't upgrade by the end of the month, and if your budget/patience will allow, why not consider doing both? 

Perhaps you could upgrade now to Platinum - and if you're going to take advantage of paying by instalments - you could maybe buy BECNT when your upgrade is fully paid off?

Something else to consider: If you've already bought BDAG, speak to a sales consultant to see if they can recognise this (i.e. drop the upgrade price by an appropriate amount!) to upgrade to Platinum, after all, you don't want to pay for it twice.  (That's if the upgrade price you've been offered doesn't already take this into account...)

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 11:12 AM

I think the Gold to Platinum is still a good deal, and I would probably go for it even now if I still had gold.

Concerning the BECNT, send me an email at wgmoore55 at bellsouth dot net.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 11:24 AM

Jerry Fourroux:

Thank you to everyone who responded!   I bought BDAG with HALOT a few months back and I have the Carson and O'Brien Pillar commentaries in Print.

Hi Jerry,

I would definitely go for the upgrade at this time (especially with the discounts about to disappear). You already have a taste of the Pillar commentaries, and to have them easily accessable in Logos will be a huge benefit!

I would suggest calling or e-mailing sales to do your upgrade, to make sure you get upgrade credit for your BDAG/HALOT purchase.

If you do not have a salesperson you are working with, I will suggest contacting my sales rep...

Santiago Galeano

Logos Bible Software - Direct Sales Manager

360-685-4429 Direct Line

1-800-875-6467 Ext. 2381

santiago.galeano@logos.com

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:53 PM

Paul C:

If you're the type of person to think "if only" if you don't upgrade by the end of the month, and if your budget/patience will allow, why not consider doing both? 

I would think about both if I am was not trying to save up for a Christmas Sale that may or may not come this Fall and/or new collections that could be offered.

So I am trying to be good now while waiting for something big to come up soon,  That was my rational for not getting the NICOT/NICNT this month. Big Smile

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 1:29 PM

I would definitely speak to someone at logos sales if you have recently purchased books that are within the platinum package. You might be able to get a further upgrade discount as praised suggested which might make it cheaper to the point it becomes a no brainer

Posts 2849
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:51 PM

Went from Scholar to Platinum. It's hard not to find something of value in doing so, but it will be appreciated in the long haul much more by the serious user.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 1:51 PM

Okay, Okay, I will upgrade once I touch base with my salesperson.  And getting the BENCT.

hmm, this might not be the best forum to ask about new purchases.  My prof used to say "Books are the Pastor's whiskey".  Is there a Logos addiction forum? Big Smile

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2011 4:42 PM

Jerry Fourroux:

Okay, Okay, I will upgrade once I touch base with my salesperson.  And getting the BENCT.

hmm, this might not be the best forum to ask about new purchases.  My prof used to say "Books are the Pastor's whiskey".  Is there a Logos addiction forum? Big Smile

I don't know about the whiskey, but this could be called "The Logos Enablement Forum"! Smile

Hope you enjoy the additional resources you'll find in Platinum, Jerry, and the BENCT as well.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 3:10 AM

Jerry Fourroux:
Is there a Logos addiction forum? Big Smile

You're reading it. Surprise

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 3:37 AM

Paul Clarke:

Jerry Fourroux:
Is there a Logos addiction forum? Big Smile

You're reading it. Surprise

Big Smile

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 8:04 AM

Now, what about the upgrade from platinum to portfolio.  There are two or three volumes in there that I know I want, but it is a lot of money.  

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 9:00 AM

Funny you should say that!  When I called my sales rep, I had a quote for the Portfolio with monthly payment of around $150 a month.  I thought that may be doable, and the Pseudopigrapha from Charlesworth, Dead Sea Scrolls, and the JPS Commentary where almost worth it!

What held me back where the Calvin 500 Collection, NT Wright Collection, and the NICOT/NICNT were on my someday list, which would be the same amount of money.

My name is Jerry Fourroux, and I am a Logos-holic.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 9:01 AM

For me, the Platinum to Portfolio just didn't make sense. I had rather take the difference (as I have it!) and focus upon sets I definitely want.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS