Logos 4 Mac Ready for Lion?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Brad Wingler | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 29 2011 10:21 AM

Since I have upgraded to Lion.  My Logos crashes upon start up everytime.  Any thoughts?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 10:24 AM

Brad Wingler:

Since I have upgraded to Lion.  My Logos crashes upon start up everytime.  Any thoughts?

What version of Logos are you using? Are any crash logs being generated? Check http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#Mac for info on logs.

I've been using Logos on Lion with no problem.

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 10:36 AM

Brad Wingler:

I haven't seen too many problems with Lion that weren't there with Snow Leopard.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 10:41 AM

Brad, try updating to the latest version if unsure:

4.3 Service Release 4 (v4.30.0.1597) available

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 12:12 PM

Same here ... not quite every time but 25% ish.

I think that it is partly my fault. L4Mac start-up times are so slow that I find myself swapping spaces to surf the net, check emails etc. during the 2/3 minutes startup time. This causes most crashes.

L4Mac was never this slow under Snow Leopard ... it seems a Lion is not known for its speed!

My startup speed seems slow even when only opening 5 resources, and does not seem to be significantly improved by opening up to a blank layout.

My mac is about 18months old, a 3.66 Ghz i7 Macbook pro with 8Gb RAM ... not a slouch and not old.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:25 PM

Martin Folley:
I think that it is partly my fault. L4Mac start-up times are so slow that I find myself swapping spaces to surf the net, check emails etc. during the 2/3 minutes startup time. This causes most crashes.

Strange. I do the same thing - launch Logos then go do other things while it loads. It has crashed from time to time, but crashes are not frequent for me. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:30 PM

Martin Folley:
L4Mac start-up times are so slow that I find myself swapping spaces to surf the net, check emails etc. during the 2/3 minutes startup time. This causes most crashes.

Wonder about always enabling diagnostic logging => Mac Diagnostic Logging  then use steps => How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac

Crashes puzzling; would like to look at diagnostic logs.

Other option is waiting for Logos support next week (email or call) => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:23 PM

2 to 3 minute start ups?? Really?

I own an early 2010 iMac w/ a 3.06ghz Intel Core Duo processor and only 4gb of ram (running snow leopard) and my Logos 4 opens fully into my main layout with about 8 resources open in less than 12 seconds.

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 5:23 AM

Joshua Garcia:

I own an early 2010 iMac w/ a 3.06ghz Intel Core Duo processor and only 4gb of ram (running snow leopard) and my Logos 4 opens fully into my main layout with about 8 resources open in less than 12 seconds.

If you have an SSD I can see this, but on a MacBook Pro with an SSD and 8GB of RAM and Intel Core i7 Processor it usually takes around 20 seconds.

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 2:37 PM

3 year old iMac  - 24 secs

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 2:38 PM

4 year old white macbook 34 secs

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30640
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 2:55 PM

• 2010 MacBook Pro
  • 2.4 GHz | Core 2 Duo
  • 8 GB DDR3
open directly to reading layout with 8 resources & 5 note sets in 35 seconds 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 4:03 AM

Mid-2010 MacBook (white) with 4GB RAM running Lion OS X - 34 seconds.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 5:01 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Joshua Garcia:

If you have an SSD I can see this, but on a MacBook Pro with an SSD and 8GB of RAM and Intel Core i7 Processor it usually takes around 20 seconds.

I do not have a SSD. Just your typical 7200. I got out a stopwatch and decided to open and close L4 a few times. I was ranging between 18 and 12 seconds each time. I wonder why my times are faster than others - especially your SSD i7 macbook!

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:17 AM

Joshua Garcia:
I wonder why my times are faster than others

Perhaps the size of the resource library?  

Posts 30640
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:51 AM

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Joshua Garcia:

Also, your layout that you open to might consume less computing power. Would you want to post a screenshot?

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 1:46 PM

alabama24:

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Joshua Garcia:

Also, your layout that you open to might consume less computing power. Would you want to post a screenshot?

These performance comparisons are very individual to a Logos 4 installation and if a real (scientific) comparison was to be done there would have to be similar (very close, exact) installations and Logos 4 setup. Some, but not complete, things to consider:

1. Mac computers - model, processor speed, RAM (total & available, is there any page swapping happening), HDD speed
  2. OS X version
  3. Logos installation - what base package, how many titles in total?
  4. Layout - standard or custom?
  5. Then for the layout:
    1. How many Bibles opened?
    2. How many other resources opened - are they all linked to the Bible passage
    3. The Bible passage being looked at - 1 verse, multiple verses, book?
    4. Is the Text Comparison window being used. If so is it pointing to - one verse, multiple verses or whole Bible book.

As Logos 4 can, and does, make very heavy demands on a machine there is the potential to see a very very wide range of times (up to and including it looking like a machine has frozen) for people to do the same things in Logos 4.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 1:52 PM

Brad Wingler:

No problems with L4M with Lion - but I had clean install of Lion & Logos 4.

Follow KSFJ's request and post your logs. Your installation is (likely) corrupt and/or your Lion installation is (possibly) corrupt.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 4:24 PM

I own Platinum and have 1,814 resources - before Perseus. This is my current workspace.

Posts 30640
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:34 PM

Joshua Garcia:
This is my current workspace.

Your layout is fairly simple. I would expect it to be on the quicker side. I think one of the things that makes mine take longer is that I have 5 passage lists. 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS