Admittedly, I'm no power user . . .

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:46 AM

. . . nor long-time Logos owner (Logos 3 for about 15 months), but I love what I'm seeing in Logos 4 after having it up and running for less than a day. And it will only get better. I really appreciate all the work Logos and the beta-testers put in.

From this geezer to all involved, thanks! You've helped enrich my Bible study.

Bill

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:52 AM

William,

So glad to hear of your liking to Logos. It is interesting to me to hear of newer users and their perspective of Logos: both v. 3 and v. 4 perspectives. You're more of a typical target (seems to me) that Logos is going after. I would guess - without discounting long time users (pre v. 3 users) - your conclusion is validating to the company.

Happy "Logosing" Smile

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:56 AM

WilliamGMoore:

. . . nor long-time Logos owner (Logos 3 for about 15 months), but I love what I'm seeing in Logos 4 after having it up and running for less than a day. And it will only get better. I really appreciate all the work Logos and the beta-testers put in.

From this geezer to all involved, thanks! You've helped enrich my Bible study.

Bill

I've been using Logos since about 98ish.  I have tried other programs, but ALWAYS found myself going back to Logos... I bought a different program last year (got a phone call special), loaded it, opened it, used it once.... It's still on my computer (I think) but I have no use for it except to maybe use the Life Application Commentary, but I never do get around to opening it up.

Even after using Logos for many years I still would not consider myself a power-user.  I know how to do some specialized things in V3, but usually just end up using the Passage and Exegetical guied (customized of corse)...  I WANT to be a power-user, but need help in getting there.

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:11 AM

JeremiahDanielMorris:

Even after using Logos for many years I still would not consider myself a power-user.  I know how to do some specialized things in V3, but usually just end up using the Passage and Exegetical guied (customized of corse)...  I WANT to be a power-user, but need help in getting there.

I also have not been a power user, but am really starting to think I may be able to. I stopped buying resources because I was so frustrated with searching in L3. I found the graphical search pretty unintelligible and just didn't relate to the way things were presented in a morphological or syntax searches. I'd tried a few, asked for help, got it from people in the newsgroups, but still could not figure out why my results were so wierd.

With L4, once I got past the use of @ and g: jargon -- in the Beta I had no Help function until a week before launch -- and there were no videos until launch day -- and once they got templates up and working -- we suffered along in many ways during the Beta testing -- that may be why some beta testers have less patience with those who weren't involved than we should, because we feel the rest don't have anything to complain about compared to what we had to put up with -- (sorry about that rant) I have found that the searching structure/templates etc of L4 are much more understandable and I've really started to dig into them - the results make sense and seem accurate (not so in L3).

I'd pretty well given up on L3 despite all the money I'd invested. But having "suffered" through the beta period and become comfortable with L4, I've just upgraded to Platinum and added HALOT, because I've seen the "promised land" and realize I can really improve my skill and use this amazing tool to help me understand Scripture so much better.

I started out in the beta, skeptical and frustrated (just to get L4 installed took over a week -- and I don't mean indexed), but I've become a "fan."

Chris

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:17 AM

Chris Elford:

I'd pretty well given up on L3 despite all the money I'd invested. But having "suffered" through the beta period and become comfortable with L4, I've just upgraded to Platinum and added HALOT, because I've seen the "promised land" and realize I can really improve my skill and use this amazing tool to help me understand Scripture so much better.

I started out in the beta, skeptical and frustrated (just to get L4 installed took over a week -- and I don't mean indexed), but I've become a "fan."

Chris

Can't wait untill I can say "I'm comfortable with V4"  Big Smile It'll happen....  Untill then I shall (with God's Grace) supress my pessimism and "think on these things" --> Phil. 4:8

Thank you for the encouragment.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:58 AM

Chris Elford:

I also have not been a power user, but am really starting to think I may be able to. I stopped buying resources because I was so frustrated with searching in L3. I found the graphical search pretty unintelligible and just didn't relate to the way things were presented in a morphological or syntax searches. I'd tried a few, asked for help, got it from people in the newsgroups, but still could not figure out why my results were so wierd.

. . . .

Chris

I didn't give up on L3, but I didn't want to take the time to learn how to make it do things beyond the basics. The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak! L4, though, just seems to work better for me. Perhaps I'm betraying my lack of technical savvy, but it's really how my interests lie. I applaud the guys and gals who get into a program and devise ways to make the program really work for them. With the kind of financial investment Logos requires, I want the program pretty much already to work for me. Wink L4 seems to do that. I'm a happy camper.

Bill

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS