Looking at an iPhone 4s, but perhaps an Android, but could use some input

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2011 9:14 PM

It is a general testimony to how cheap (better: "frugal"!) I am that have yet to get a smartphone. I just felt I was smart enough without one. Wink Actually, I simply didn't see the need for one in my ministerial circumstances, especially with a minimal 2GB data plan that would add $30 a month to my bill. Well, I am starting to see how one can be useful, especially with the Logos app, and I am close to ordering an iPhone 4s/32GB.

Before I do so, however, I thought I would bring this question before my enlightened fellow Logos members.What leads me to Apple is that they simply work. They are not be to configure and tweak. I could do that--I taught basic computer programming on Apple II machines way back in the mid-80's--it's just that life is short and I don't want to. Is there, however, an Android out-of-the-box-non-buggy good with high quality apps either already installed or easily acquired for personal productivity (in essence replacing my old Sony TH55 PDA/handheld computer) and can work as a really good MP3 player (replacing my ancient 4th generation iPod Classic)? Oh, and the fonts on the Android phone need to be really sharp like those of retina display of the iPhone 4s--960x640 pixel resolution at 326 ppi. I will want to do some Logos work when away from the computer.

Thanks a lot. I plan to order on Monday, and this will take care of my gagdet for Logos desires till a tablet with sharp fonts (sharper than any tablet I've seen thus far) is released. Right now, I'm anticipating iPhone 4s and iPad 3, but that could change.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:28 PM
Bill, you will find fans on both sides of that conversation, I'm sure, but you said a couple of very important things in your post: First, you don't mind buying Apple products. Second, being able to customize and tweak is not a priority for you. Given those two things, I think your choice of an iPhone 4S is right on. I am typing this on an iPad 2, and an iPhone 4S is heading my way this coming week. While I could certainly choose any of the various ecosystems out there, I think Apple's to be the most complete and trouble-free. BTW, you won't find any real competitors to the iPad, yet. I have a few more thoughts about these things on my blog that you might find interesting: stephenhultquist.com.
Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:42 AM

Bill Moore:
Is there, however, an Android out-of-the-box-non-buggy good with high quality apps either already installed or easily acquired for personal productivity

Out of the box they are all like that. It's what you do next that makes a difference. On an Android phone you can put on any application that you wish. On an iPhone you can put on any app that Apple says won't mess up your system.

After many years of avoiding DOS and windows by using RISCOS the platform started to loose its leading edge and I ventured into the Windows arena - I like using computers  - but I found I was spending too much time updating Virus Checkers, Malware Preventers and Cookie Checkers  - and also finding the the commercial offerings that supposedly did these things made parts of the system inoperable. Apple provides a controlled environment - which just lets you get on. (Unless you install Logos 4 Mac with its Windows based memory leakages).

Bill Moore:
I will want to do some Logos work when away from the computer.

Mobile Logos isn't the desktop version - there isn't enough screen real estate - the facilities are not there for file handling and, at the moment Sync is not working. It is great for reading and the occasional look up of a word or phrase - but away from the desk you would be better with a Laptop.

Sorry I can't grasp the concept of doing serious research on a phone screen no matter what the OS

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 1:16 AM

I do not have a smart phone but I do have an iPod touch. Actually that is one of the main things keeping me from getting a smart phone. That being said you mentioned the display. I'm sure the Android side of the house will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Apple is the only one with a retina display resolution. Android may look good, but my iPod touch has everything else I've seen beaten by a mile. If they ever bring that resolution to the iPad (is there any doubt they eventually will?) it will be very hard for me to resist.

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:33 AM

Mike Binks:

Bill Moore:
I will want to do some Logos work when away from the computer.

Mobile Logos isn't the desktop version - there isn't enough screen real estate - the facilities are not there for file handling and, at the moment Sync is not working. It is great for reading and the occasional look up of a word or phrase - but away from the desk you would be better with a Laptop.

Sorry I can't grasp the concept of doing serious research on a phone screen no matter what the OS

Hi Mike. Thanks for your input. When I wrote "some Logos work," the operative word is "some," but I guess the word "work" skews it to sound like more than I intend. What I envision is accessing my Logos resources via a smartphone, especially one with iPhone's Retina display, to be able to check sources when I'm away from my computer or don't want to take the time to wake up a sleeping computer.

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:57 AM

Steve Hultquist:
Bill, you will find fans on both sides of that conversation, I'm sure, but you said a couple of very important things in your post: First, you don't mind buying Apple products. Second, being able to customize and tweak is not a priority for you. Given those two things, I think your choice of an iPhone 4S is right on. I am typing this on an iPad 2, and an iPhone 4S is heading my way this coming week. While I could certainly choose any of the various ecosystems out there, I think Apple's to be the most complete and trouble-free. BTW, you won't find any real competitors to the iPad, yet. I have a few more thoughts about these things on my blog that you might find interesting: stephenhultquist.com.

Thanks, Steve. I must admit to being drawn to the Apple ecosystem, but I'm hesistant to jump in with both feet. Actually, that's not financially practical at the present, regardless of my desire. And, too, I use a Lenovo ThinkPad with Windows 7 that has served me well for the past couple of years and probably has another two years of use before I replace it. I may go Mac--we'll see. And I really hope the rumored iPad 3 has significantly better resolution for fonts than the 1st two generations without a significant price increase.

But I haven't disliked Apple products per se--just felt they were too expensive. Still, having gadgets that "just work" and work well is what I'm after. I well remember getting my Sony TH55 handheld computer back in '04. PDA forums had members who were constantly tweaking their PDA/handheld devices to make them perfect. I wondered how the poor guys ever got anything done. And, too, probably a lot of them were college students or young adults still living at home with plenty of time on their hands. Wink

I checked out your blog. Good stuff.

Posts 931
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:01 AM

Halo Hound:

I do not have a smart phone but I do have an iPod touch. Actually that is one of the main things keeping me from getting a smart phone. That being said you mentioned the display. I'm sure the Android side of the house will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Apple is the only one with a retina display resolution. Android may look good, but my iPod touch has everything else I've seen beaten by a mile. If they ever bring that resolution to the iPad (is there any doubt they eventually will?) it will be very hard for me to resist.

I've seriously considered the iPod Touch. It's a great device. I'm trying to get down to one device to carry in my pocket. Otherwise, I would get a Touch.

Posts 28372
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:55 AM

Bill Moore:
I really hope the rumored iPad 3 has significantly better resolution for fonts than the 1st two generations without a significant price increase

Apple's general practice is to release new products at the old price points. Occasionally, when the market demands it, the new products will be priced cheaper.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 237
Rick Ratzlaff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:21 AM

You can have my iPhone. Very funkey. Dosn't work well with Logos either. Angry

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:35 AM

WD40:

BILL BILL BILL

Take him up on it - even the oldest iPhones are pretty good and will give you a free try.

This chap is a real blessing and it would be rude not to accept his kind offer.

Posts 28372
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:53 AM

WD40:

If Bill doesn't take up your offer, I will Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 7:01 AM

I have been looking at this comparison (iPhone vs. Android) as I am in the market for a new phone soon. Here is my uninformed opinion  <g>

1. iPhone is better for people who want the easiest possible solution, constrained by less customization.  Customization and ease of use usually are in tension with each other.  This is not to say Android is not very friendly to use, iPhone is just a little better in my opinion.

2. Android has market share and will continue to take market share, see picture below of the latest Nielsen survey.  Note the growth in market share is coming from Windows and Blackberry. Apple did not grab any market share from them, stayed at 28%, Android across all vendors is growing steadily in market share.

3. Android strategy is to offer the same OS, and then have multiple vendors offer variety and best of breed hardware.  Everybody builds their best hardware so buyers have feature/function/for form factor/price choices. There is no comparison between Android hardware and iPhone, the 4s barely caught up but not really. Android has dual-core CPUs (offering a true multi-processing capability), removable batteries, adobe flash, FM radio, microSD chip capability for way more movies/songs etc., better cameras (3D and 10 MP+ cameras), and turn-by-turn GPS capability. iPhone just got dual core GPS, but Android is coming out with quad-core GPS in 1Q. Androids still have the leg up on cameras if that's important to you, iPhone has no 3D and their camera is 8 MP; Android has phones with two cameras, front and rear. iPhone just got turn-by-turn GPS.  What really bugs me is how the battery on iPhones is soldered in, so when the battery goes, you send you phone in for repair or buy a new one. I keep my phones a while, everyone one I have replaced the battery. Also iPhone does not support Flash, so forget watching videos using it.  I know from friends, current iPhones (don't know about the 4s) have the connection capability to get mail from Microsoft Exchange, but they do not have a true Outlook-quality email client, so you have to use POP3; this prevents true synchronization of email between server and client (if you download all emails they are no longer on the server, if you leave a copy on the server they always show as unread when you next use your phone to check email).

4. Apps availability is really a wash right now. Every ad I see now for an app, it supports Android and iPhone, so that advantage appears to have gone away. While Apple has more, both are well into the 100s of thousands of apps.

5.I almost bought an iPhone a couple of years ago, and I was scared off because so many people complained about dropped calls. Note on the latest 4s, there are now 2 sets of antennas on the phone, and the OS will automatically switch between them based on how you are holding the phone to keep good reception. Very clever idea, but it proves there has been a problem with older phones on losing calls based on how you hold the phone.

All that said, I am a geek with technology, when I get a phone I like the fastest I can afford. I like flexibility in my phone (I have my own custom ROM on a Windows 6.5 phone right now and it runs 1000% better than stock; that's a whole separate post for all the improvements my phone has over stock).  So the iPhone is not hardware state of the art or flexible enough for me. BUT, the iPhone is a very good phone that non-techy people seem to have NO problem using (Android just slightly behind, but they are behind IMHO). Individual preferences will win out in any person's choice, the great news is the market offers 2 clearly different strategies to choose from.

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 9:53 AM

I have a Samsung Captivate. My wife has an iPhone.  I like my screen better.  Hers may have a higher resolution, but mine is brighter and the colors crisper. In bright sunlight, mine is easier to read than the iPhone.

I on Verizon.  I use a 250MB plan for $15/month.  I download programs, updates and resources using wi-fi when I am at home.  My data plan is to check the weather, the market, Eagles and Phillies.  I also use it for navigation sometimes and to google something or other.  I have never gone over on my data and some months I don't even use half of my MBs.

I resent the restrictive policies of Apple and at the end of the day, this influenced my choice as much as the screen.  Take a look at the Samsung S II before you dive in, unless you've already decided the simplicity of Apple is for you. Both phones are great phones.

Greg

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:10 AM

Bill Moore:
I've seriously considered the iPod Touch. It's a great device. I'm trying to get down to one device to carry in my pocket. Otherwise, I would get a Touch.

I perfectly understand. One thing that helped me out is getting a bluetooth headset. My cell phone rarely leaves my pocket now, so I usually don't know its there. Plus if I do leave it somewhere a lady say's "lost connection" in my ear. I've been think about going to shirts with a pocket so I could go all geek with my ipod in my shirt pocket and cell in my pants pocket.

Posts 2759
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 11:04 AM

Purely from a Logos perspective, the iOS Logos app is ahead of the Android app. You cannot do reading plans on Android yet, the biggest thing I miss that is in the iOS version. I have an Android but preordered an iPhone 4S. I'm going home.

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:06 PM
A couple of minor corrections... There are a couple of apps that let you view Flash on an iOS device. Why anyone wants to is beyond me (I removed Flash from my computers; it's an abomination as far as I'm concerned), but it is certainly possible to do so (see, for example CloudBrowse). The market numbers are pretty difficult to assess and vary greatly depending on the organization doing the counting and reporting. I like to look at the customer satisfaction and "will buy again" surveys and also like to combine all device sizes into one lump (so all iOS, all Android, all Windows Mobile, all devices in any other operating system), and when you do that, the numbers are pretty compelling and clarifying. That said, there are still lots of people buying devices in each of the platforms available today (other than WebOS, which, unfortunately, appears to be dying thanks to HP--I'm hoping an organization with vision picks it up). Regardless of all that, however, neither the iOS nor the Android platform is going to go away any time soon, so pick the one that reflects your preferences: If you like to customize or if you want to adjust your device decision based on the specific capabilities that you care most about (processor, camera, screen type and size, etc.), select your device from the Android or Windows Mobile families. If you want a company to make those choices and compromises for you, Apple is the only company currently designing and delivering the entire system. That may change with Google's acquisition of Motorola mobile, but we'll have to wait and see how they integrate. (I admit to having a hard time taking seriously any operating system called "Ice Cream Sandwich"!)
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:15 PM

Dominick Sela:
I have been looking at this comparison (iPhone vs. Android) as I am in the market for a new phone soon. Here is my uninformed opinion

Some more comparison observations:

In July 2011, Apple's iPhone profits accounted for 66 % of Q2 smartphone profits among top vendors (noticed 2 Android manufacturers were profitable)

http://www.bgr.com/2011/07/29/apples-iphone-accounted-for-66-of-q2-smartphone-profit-among-top-vendors/

Apple's iOS 5 is a free upgrade => http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html (near bottom of web page includes iPhone models: 3GS, 4, & 4S plus iPad and iPad 2 along with iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation models)

Google Market shows Android 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) currently dominate usage (83.5 %) => http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html  while newer Honeycomb (3.0, 3.1, and 3.2) has 1.8 % usage

Android wildcard: not know lawsuit outcome (trial scheduled to start 31 Oct) => http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/09/oracle-contradicts-google-on-damages.html and => http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/10/ellison-schmidt-page-mcnealy-gosling.html

Also aware of many smart phone and Android lawsuits; no idea want to expect (noting potential for more Android device bans: especially tablets, may include smart phones).  One lawsuit => http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/10/google-and-t-mobile-ask-itc-not-to-ban.html includes: "Google's argument: without Android, Apple would have a monopoly; Android is open, so please let it infringe"

Android community web site => http://androidcommunity.com/google-t-mobile-file-to-support-htc-in-apple-lawsuit-20111008/ article includes: "Editorial note: say Google, Honeycomb came out more than six months ago – would you mind releasing the source code for this open mobile OS you’re so keen on?"

Android community has an article comparing iPhone 4s versus Android => http://androidcommunity.com/iphone-4s-versus-the-android-competition-20111004/

Mac friendly web site contrasts Siri with Android voice control => http://www.cultofmac.com/122098/what%e2%80%99s-so-great-about-siri/

Thankful for Logos and Vyrso apps on iOS and Android devices.  Dreaming of Siri additions for Logos app.  Anticipate Siri copying (competition) by others.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS