Personal Book - Geneva Bible

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 9 2011 2:09 PM

I purchased a PDF version of the Geneva Bible, and then purchased "1-2-3PDF Converter" recommended by CNET in order to convert the Bible into a .docx format and then compile it for use in Logos 4. The problem I'm having is that the 1-2-3PDF Converter crashes every time I try to convert the document. I even tried just converting the pages of the OT, thinking that perhaps a smaller document might work better. That crashed too! Any ideas on how I can convert a 1,338 page PDF file?

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 2:51 PM

Rich Davis:
Any ideas on how I can convert a 1,338 page PDF file?

I guess I'd experiment and see how many pages the converter can successfully handle. If you have the option, start with 100 pages and see if it can do that. The whole OT is probably still about 8-900 pages, which is a chunk of info. It's possible you ran out of memory trying to convert anything that big in one pass. Just guessing but that might be the case. Then again the converter may just be having trouble with that particular file and special formatting it has in it.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11934
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 3:11 PM

Rich Davis:

I purchased a PDF version of the Geneva Bible, and then purchased "1-2-3PDF Converter" recommended by CNET in order to convert the Bible into a .docx format and then compile it for use in Logos 4. The problem I'm having is that the 1-2-3PDF Converter crashes every time I try to convert the document. I even tried just converting the pages of the OT, thinking that perhaps a smaller document might work better. That crashed too! Any ideas on how I can convert a 1,338 page PDF file?

I was VERY disappointed with all PDF converters I tried (don't recall if a 1-2-3 converter was among them, deinstalled most of this stuff). Based on some recommendations here in the forum I got me the calibre e-book manager, which converts between a number of formats, including Kindle, mobi, ePub and PDF. It worked seamlessly for PDFs with several hundred pages for me. If you like the idea, you might give it a try.

But you know that converting a PDF book to word only gives you text? To really get a bible to work, there are thousands of tags required (look into the files-forum, there are sample bibles). 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 3:46 PM

Thanks Mark and Mick. I'm actually trying Mark's idea of just doing 100 pages at this moment. I'll see how that goes first and if the program crashes again I'll head over to Mick's idea. Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 3:49 PM

I LOVE Calibre. I was using Mobi creator for a while till it became unreasonable (way outdated). Calibre is 10 Times better at converting files for my Kindle.

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 3:56 PM

OK . . . Halo and Mick - I'm downloading Calibre now. Hopefully, this will be the blessing I've been waiting for today! :-)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:15 PM

Wonder if Personal Book version of Geneva Bible posted by Mark Barnes is helpful => Some PBB Bibles for you to play around with ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:52 PM

Rich Davis:

Just a FYI...You could be violating copyright laws.  Therefore, you might want to read the copyright info on your pdf version of the Geneva Bible.  While it is very likely that the text of the Geneva Bible does not fall under copyright laws in your area, but the Geneva Bible in the pdf format can fall under copyright laws.

While fair use will allow you to make a backup copy of your file, it does not allow you to change the format of the file (pdf to docx).

Posts 2814
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:55 PM

tom collinge:

Just a FYI...You could be violating copyright laws.  Therefore, you might want to read the copyright info on your pdf version of the Geneva Bible.  While it is very likely that the text of the Geneva Bible does not fall under copyright laws in your area, but the Geneva Bible in the pdf format can fall under copyright laws.

While fair use will allow you to make a backup copy of your file, it does not allow you to change the format of the file (pdf to docx).

Question: If the TEXT of something is in the public domain and someone has copyrighted their versions format how does that REMOVE the public domainness of the original TEXT? If you extract the text and reformat it does the format copyright still exist?  What right has someone to  take something that is in the public domain and force us not to use it because they used it?    

That is does the so called copyright statement on the pdf version of the Geneva Bible have any standing in a court of law?  Has it been tested? (when and where please)

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 8:06 PM

David Ames:

Question: If the TEXT of something is in the public domain and someone has copyrighted their versions format how does that REMOVE the public domainness of the original TEXT? If you extract the text and reformat it does the format copyright still exist?  What right has someone to  take something that is in the public domain and force us not to use it because they used it?    

That is does the so called copyright statement on the pdf version of the Geneva Bible have any standing in a court of law?  Has it been tested? (when and where please)

I am not an expert in copyright laws.  Here is how I understand it.  Not only is the work of art is copyrighted, so is the work that is required to produce the work of art.  In this example, the work that it took to create the pdf is what is being protected by the copyright laws.

For an example, Logos just produced Barnes' notes of the Old and New Testament.  I personally use BibleWorks, and BibleWorks has a way to bring in content into its program. I cannot convert (even copy and paste) Logos' file to a file that BibleWorks can use.

What I could do is to use Logos to completely retype Barnes' notes into a format that BibleWorks can use.  This comes from the fact that the text is not copyrighted.

No one is taking anything away from us.

Posts 2814
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2011 9:32 PM

tom collinge:

What I could do is to use Logos to completely retype Barnes' notes into a format that Bible Works can use.  This comes from the fact that the text is not copyrighted.

EDIT:  RETYPE letter by letter one at a time or COPY AND PASTE paragraph or section at a time? Does that make a difference in the answer???

So: The story so far: We buy a book that is in the Public Domain [maybe Barne's Notes] from say Logos.  Then we use their program, Logos 4, to copy that book.  Then we paste that book into whatever [in this case Bible Works]  Have we violated any of Logos's rights?  Or does Logos just think that we have? [in the prior posts did we violate any of the real rights of the creator of the pdf by using copy and paste to insert the Public Domain text into Logos?]

As we do more and more PB books we will need guidance on this issue.  Can we recover the Public Domain text from a formated file that someone posted a copyright statement on if all we take is the text in paragraph format? [[Did they have the right to post that copyright statement just because they formated the file?  Does the person who types or scans a public domain work own anything or is the work still public domain?]]  [[And if we input a PB in violation of someones format or typing copyright will Logos get into trouble pulling it into the Cloud?]] 

Is there a thread that has answered this?  Hopefully Posted by a legal expert.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:00 AM

David Ames:

tom collinge:

What I could do is to use Logos to completely retype Barnes' notes into a format that Bible Works can use.  This comes from the fact that the text is not copyrighted.

EDIT:  RETYPE letter by letter one at a time or COPY AND PASTE paragraph or section at a time? Does that make a difference in the answer???

So: The story so far: We buy a book that is in the Public Domain [maybe Barne's Notes] from say Logos.  Then we use their program, Logos 4, to copy that book.  Then we paste that book into whatever [in this case Bible Works]  Have we violated any of Logos's rights?  Or does Logos just think that we have? [in the prior posts did we violate any of the real rights of the creator of the pdf by using copy and paste to insert the Public Domain text into Logos?]

As we do more and more PB books we will need guidance on this issue.  Can we recover the Public Domain text from a formated file that someone posted a copyright statement on if all we take is the text in paragraph format? [[Did they have the right to post that copyright statement just because they formated the file?  Does the person who types or scans a public domain work own anything or is the work still public domain?]]  [[And if we input a PB in violation of someones format or typing copyright will Logos get into trouble pulling it into the Cloud?]] 

Is there a thread that has answered this?  Hopefully Posted by a legal expert.

I do know that copyright laws are very complex, and they change from country to country.

What can be done legally and what is enforce is too different things.

Logos has said that they are going to take a laissez faire attitude when it comes to using Logos as a source to copy their resources so that they can be used in another program/device.  I think that this comes from the fact that it cost too much to enforce the laws.  

I do not believe that anyone is going to be hunting us down for copyright violations.  I just wanted to make sure that we are aware of the laws.  

I know that I have copyrighted items in my Logos' notes.

Here is a quote from Bob as it relates to PD books in PBB and the PBB's cloud bookstore:

Bob Pritchett:
I want to point out early-on that the goal of PBB is to support "personal" use. This means you can do whatever you want for yourself, but if you want to use our systems to share/distribute the content, we'll be offering support for sharing your "personal" content, not for going into competition with Logos on public domain (or licensed non-PD) content.

While Bob's statement is not related to copyright issues (he is reflecting on the economic issues), he is stating that Logos is not going to support PD works in the PBB bookstore.

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:51 AM

I feel like the guy in the movie "While you were sleeping"! While I was sleeping some folks were have a grand discussion on copyright laws. Actually, the thought never crossed my mind until I read the first post this morning. But I had already taken the advice from KS4J and checked out Mark Barns post with the Geneva Bible on Wiki. I compiled it in Logos 4 and it looks beautiful. I sure hope that those guys from the 1500s who wanted the Scriptures in everyone's hands don't turn over in their graves now that some of us can use their translation in our Bible study on Logos!

Posts 32949
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:07 PM

tom collinge:

Here is a quote from Bob as it relates to PD books in PBB and the PBB's cloud bookstore:

Bob Pritchett:
I want to point out early-on that the goal of PBB is to support "personal" use. This means you can do whatever you want for yourself, but if you want to use our systems to share/distribute the content, we'll be offering support for sharing your "personal" content, not for going into competition with Logos on public domain (or licensed non-PD) content.

While Bob's statement is not related to copyright issues (he is reflecting on the economic issues), he is stating that Logos is not going to support PD works in the PBB bookstore.

I read this slightly differently from you, Tom. I thought that public domain works that were outside what Logos viewed as its domain were allowed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 82
Joseph | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:27 PM

Reccomend pdf converter

I strongly reccomend this program, it is not free but it is not expensive. Of course if you are evil you can bittorrent it also and get it free ;) 

It is called PDF Converter Assistant and it handles PDF text documentsAND PICTURES WITH IN near perfectly.  With pictures, it is less than perfect but not horrible if the image is simple enough!  It takes about 5-10 minutes for a pdf book of 500-600 pages, so a bit slow but given the size not unreasonable.  I have able to get some of my AGES software on to logos with this program.

Posts 82
Joseph | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:28 PM

also why would you pay to get the geneva bible?  It is totally free all over the interet! 

Posts 62
Rich Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:34 PM

Actually, I did not search the Internet before purchasing the PDF form of the Geneva Bible. I bought a leather bound copy of that Bible from the Reformed Bookstore and for a couple of dollars more they sent me the digital form (PDF).

However, as regards the Geneva Bible for Logos 4 Personal Books, I was able to find it on the Wiki Logos page. It was very simple to compile that PB into Logos 4, but I haven't tried accessing it yet in Logos as a Bible.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS