Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 3
Larry Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2011 2:38 PM

you can't download any apps from the android market place onto the Kindle Fire, only from the Amazon app store... the Logos app is on the Amazon app store, but for some reason you can't download it on the kindle fire from the Amazon app store, you have to side load it...

Posts 1
Gene Webb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:59 AM

I was able to get this to work but thought I would add a little more detail.

1. On the Kindle fire I browsed to the forum on the beta and clicked on the link for the beta. It does not show a download complete like I get on IE so did not even know it had downloaded it so I did it from my computer and was about to copy it via USB and figured out I had downloaded it three times as I kept clicking the link. 

Here is that link from the other post http://downloads.logos.com/Android/Logos/beta/Logos-23.apk

2. I went into the settings, then Device, and as noted turned on allowing the 3rd party apps to install

3. I downloaded the Easy Install App from the Amazon App Store and ran it. Once I ran it it found the downloaded file and Logos installed and seems to be working fine.  I have this on my IPad and the search actually seems to work better. I did note that at this time my Reading Plan does not appear.

Here is the link for the installer: http://www.amazon.com/INFOLIFE-LLC-Easy-Installer/dp/B004RDMXSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1321459139&sr=1-1

Posts 28
David Pereira | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:20 AM

Gene - THANKS SO much for your instructions.    This is NO easy task, but I WAS able to get it . . and just in time to get familiar with it all on a convention trip.

For everyone else's sake, I certainly hope this process becomes much easier, but for now, it's good to know there IS a way to get Logos installed on Kindle Fire!

Thanks again.

Posts 5
John Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:34 AM

Logos was also an immediate install for me, and I side loaded as described above. 

If you browse to the app on Amazon's website, it shows an X next to it indicating it's not compatible with the Fire. This is why it's not available directly from the App Store on the device.

It appears that the Fire soft buttons overlay the bottom row of Logos menu buttons, so I'm guessing this is why Amazon flagged it as incompatible. Hopefully, someone from Logos is testing it to make appropriate adjustments.

Personally...I'd love to see a nice Logos app optimized for the Fire!

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:44 AM

John Chandler:

Logos was also an immediate install for me, and I side loaded as described above. 

If you browse to the app on Amazon's website, it shows an X next to it indicating it's not compatible with the Fire. This is why it's not available directly from the App Store on the device.

It appears that the Fire soft buttons overlay the bottom row of Logos menu buttons, so I'm guessing this is why Amazon flagged it as incompatible. Hopefully, someone from Logos is testing it to make appropriate adjustments.

Personally...I'd love to see a nice Logos app optimized for the Fire!

helpful comments, John, thanks!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19
Sean Crotty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:56 AM

John Chandler:
It appears that the Fire soft buttons overlay the bottom row of Logos menu buttons

John, does this make vital features of the Logos app unusable?

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 12:20 PM

How are search speeds for the Logos Android App on the Kindle Fire?  On my PC Logos gets to verses almost instantaneously since it has indexed itself there.

I've noticed on the Kindle Fire other Bibles specific to the Kindle used to index and have instantaneous access to verses on the 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard WiFi but on the Kindle Fire they have NOT indexed and searches take a very long time for specific verses.

If Logos does not index on the Kindle Fire, then searches for specific verses will also take a long time.

Since Logos will be using an Android App, it should work fine.  I'm temporily using the Tecarta NIV and KJV which is also Android and approved by Amazon and it works perfectly with instant searches.

Logos should be even better once it's Android App is approved by Amazon.

Posts 12
Chuck King | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:28 PM

I don't feel it makes it unusable but it would be nice to have fixed.  The biggest problem is when you press and hold a word to do a "look up" you have to carefully tap the button that would perform a search as it is mostly covered.  Other than that it is not a problem for what I have used to this point.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 4:34 PM

Chuck King:
The biggest problem is when you press and hold a word to do a "look up" you have to carefully tap the button that would perform a search as it is mostly covered.  Other than that it is not a problem for what I have used to this point.

wonder if you'd be able to make a video of your use?  it'd be an instant hit!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 5
John Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:58 PM

Dan DeVilder:

helpful comments, John, thanks!

Dan,

I opened the app again tonight. It looks like the soft buttons don't cover the app menu on the home screen, but the soft buttons do cover the menu buttons on the text screen.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 4:00 AM

John Chandler:
I opened the app again tonight. It looks like the soft buttons don't cover the app menu on the home screen, but the soft buttons do cover the menu buttons on the text screen

How about the Logos speed of searches on the KIndle Fire for words and locations of verses?  Are they as fast as on a PC or is there a noticeable slow down.  It appears that the Kindle Fire inhibits indexing of eBooks.  Logos definitely requires indexing on the PC.

It may be that Amazon has the Logos Android App classified as not yet suitable for the Fire for that reason.  Once that problem is cleared, the Amazon Android Store will probably clear it for regular downloads by customers.

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 4:25 AM

Currently all Android app searches are done over the Internet. So speed will vary with network speed.

Graham

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:00 AM

Graham Criddle:

Currently all Android app searches are done over the Internet. So speed will vary with network speed.

Graham

What if WiFi is not available?  Can Android apps do any searches then?

I have noticed a huge difference in different Bibles on the Kindle Fire.  The Osnova KJV and NET plus the Crossway ESV search in seconds on the 3rd generation Kindle but take many minutes on the Kindle Fire.  The Tecarta KJV and NIV take just a few seconds on the Kindle Fire.  The Osnova requires indexing for a few hours upon installation.  The Tecarta Android App has built their indices into the App.

The Logos Bibles as well require an extended time for indexing on my PC upon installation.  Then it searches in just seconds. For the Logos Android App to work at peak performance, it would have to have its indices built into the App.  If it requires local indexing or access to a WiFi, it will search very slow.

Thus, Logos may be impaired on the Kindle Fire since the latter appears to impair indexing.  That problem may have something to do with why the Logos Android App is available in the Amazon App Store but is flagged at the moment as incompatible with the Kindle Fire.  Perhaps, once the Logis indices get built into the App, then the flag will change to show compatibility.

My Church has locked WiFi access so only staff can access it.  The membersip does not have access to WiFi at my Church so the Bibles I use must be able to search fast without internet access.  The reason for locking WiFi at Church is to prevent the members from having access to shared files which are required for the staff to function properly.

Posts 2333
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:33 AM

My main use for the Kindle Fire would be for reading Logos resources, note taking and highlighting and basic Bible searches to locate a specific verse or passage.  Any serious, in depth  study would likely be done on my desktop. 

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:38 AM

Sir Maru:
What if WiFi is not available?  Can Android apps do any searches then?

Currently no. You need some form of Internet connection - Wi-Fi or mobile network. According to the FAQ, offline search of resources is planned - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/34373.aspx

Sir Maru:
For the Logos Android App to work at peak performance, it would have to have its indices built into the App.

This is, I believe, one of the issues Logos are trying to address. I don't see how they could build indices into the App because many people would be using different resources. This is a consequence of Logos making available as many of our resources as they can, not just a single (or few) Bibles.

Sir Maru:
If it requires local indexing or access to a WiFi, it will search very slow.

The iPad app does have local searching when offline. It is functional but not very fast. With the intention to get feature parity between the two applications this is something we will have to wait for. 

Sir Maru:
Thus, Logos may be impaired on the Kindle Fire since the latter appears to impair indexing.  That problem may have something to do with why the Logos Android App is available in the Amazon App Store but is flagged at the moment as incompatible with the Kindle Fire.  Perhaps, once the Logis indices get built into the App, then the flag will change to show compatibility.

The "incompatible" flag may be more to do with availability of an SD card which the Logos app requires. I understand that the Fire makes one available internally.

Sir Maru:
The membersip does not have access to WiFi at my Church so the Bibles I use must be able to search fast without internet access.

It all depends on what you mean by "fast". It is ok for me on the iPad (and so I would expect it to provide something similar on Android) but others might find offline searching too slow.

Graham

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 7:00 AM

Graham Criddle:

Currently no. You need some form of Internet connection - Wi-Fi or mobile network. According to the FAQ, offline search of resources is planned - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/34373.aspx

Thanks for that link.  It shows the following:

"

Q: What features are planned?

• Offline search of downloaded books
  • Library list sorting and filtering
  • Favorites
  • Reading plans
  • Copy text
  • Highlighting
  • Notes
  • Sharing via Twitter, Facebook and email
  • Split screen
  • Tablet-optimized layout

That's the answer I was awaiting.  Once that is developed, I'll install the Logos App on my Kindle Fire.

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:14 AM

Gene Webb:
I was able to get this to work but thought I would add a little more detail.

I followed these steps and Logos installed just fine on my Fire.

Now, figuring out how to use it will be the next project.  I don't care to try to do much study with it...I mainly want it on the Fire so I can readd some of the books in my library.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 38
Roberto Bustamante | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:42 AM

Any updates regarding performance on the kindle fire? I'm thinking of side-loading it, but wondering about the current beta. Perhaps I should just wait for it to go gold and see if it pops up in the amazon app store. However, not sure how long that will be.

So, regarding perfomance, feel, and look...anyone have any further thoughts?

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 12:27 PM

An update about Logos beta release for Android and the Kindle Fire. Yes, Logos works great on the Fire, but no, the Android App cant do much of what the desktop does. I am still quite happy with it. My main (only?) Reason to have Logos on my Fire (any portable phone or tablet device is to read resources when I am out. Now, perhaps in the future, that will change! I downloaded (sideloaded) Logos beta release and then I downloaded about 50 - 60 books into Logos with nearly 6 GB left of space. I have downloaded many other apps (forgive me, but I just had to have youversion as well!) And additional databases. The Fire remains speedy and responsive. No, it is not an iPad2, but it is a very useful, handy device! The worst thing thus far about the Fire is how the web browser (Silk, normally a very nice browser) interacted with Logos Forums. I, and at least one other Fire user, could not post to the Forums! Why? I don't know. But, I am making this post using my Fire ... though it was not easy. I suspect there will be a fix. Until then I use another browser for the Forums. But if that is as bad as it gets, I am thrilled with this device. Before the Fire I had a dual-booting (Android) NookColor. It was very nice, but there were too many pluses of the Fire to ignore. In short, the Kindle Fire is a capable and useful Logos device. You can sideload it now or wait until the full revision is complete. I know that I like the Fire so wel l that I sold my NookColor. Speed is better than on the Nook and it is a lot more convenient. At least, that is my two-day appraisal! JJ

Posts 765
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 12:35 PM

where do you download the app?  How do you sideload it?

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS