4.5 Beta 1 (v4.50.0.1142) shipping this afternoon

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:28 PM | Locked

Jeff Loven:
My system won't sync either...

Jeff ~  Thank you for including a log in your other post.

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:36 PM | Locked

Melissa,

I think this is what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Danny

2117.Logos4.log

3755.Logos4Error.log

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:38 PM | Locked

Danny Baskin:

I think this is what you're looking for.

Yes, thank you!

Posts 821
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:10 PM | Locked

Mmmm ... at the same time, the merging of the two systems in its first iteration anyway, is producing a lot of cross-talk and noise e.g. meaningless notes generated because of a multi-layered highlighting system that I use.

It also creates the need for workarounds like creating a "dump" file to hide all the highlighting notes in so they don't interfere with my intentionally created notes.

It also means that you have to create all kinds of new and potentially dangerous exceptions i.e. delete all notes except imported ones - might I end up losing my precious highlights by mistake? It's unthinkable.

I'm not too happy about this development - but maybe given time it will find mature into something which is  less "noisy" and with less opportunity for data loss.

Thanks
Richard 

Posts 124
Randy Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:21 PM | Locked

My system won't sync either

2555.Logos4Error.zip

Posts 736
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:36 PM | Locked

Wow - Looks like a huge upgrade for the Notes users! Congrats, I'm looking forward to checking out the PBB updates, keep up the good work Logos!

Posts 35578
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 9:52 PM | Locked

Ben Vargh:
1. Notes are often of a transactional nature with regular additions and deletions. This throws my highlights (which I often want to perpetually remain) at great risk.

For me it is the reverse, my notes are permanent and my highlighting is usually temporary although I am getting into more permanent highlighting.

Ben Vargh:
2. Notes for a resource is fragmented into multiple note files. 

My notes are generally organized by function rather than resource - a few exceptions of course.

Ben Vargh:
one note file per resource that is NOT exposed to the end-user.

I like the ability to access the note. For example, one of my highlighting palettes classifies texts by Berlin's scheme, another by Bratcher's scheme. The ability to add text adds some very useful functionality - however, I would want the note created by a highlight to be immediately presented to the user for editing.

However:

• I am not thrilled with clicking on the note symbol to get palette, style and fact it is highlighting in origin - I'd prefer to have the palette and style name to be shown in the note rather than clicking on the (default) gray box to see them.
  • I prefer the use of the palette name to the note file name  in the resource visual filter selection. It is the palette name that is descriptive of its use. Many palettes may appear in the same note file - and the presence of multiple palettes in the note file means one has loss control over the text display.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35578
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 10:03 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:
We could have duplicated the whole notes file system for highlights, but people are also asking for highlighting capabilities on the selections to which they attach notes. So it just made sense to merge these things together into a single annotation system.

I agree with your design choice. But notes still have a ways to go (Luke 18:1-8).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35578
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2011 11:00 PM | Locked

Richard Lyall:
the merging of the two systems in its first iteration anyway, is producing a lot of cross-talk and noise e.g. meaningless notes generated because of a multi-layered highlighting system that I use.

I think the fault is not with the current design, which still has some serious flaws, but with the fact that Logos 4 originally gave us a solution that was not compatible with the overall goals - multi-device & collaboration.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:07 AM | Locked

My system won't sync either since the new beta.

1440.Logos4Error.log

0878.Logos4Error-2.log

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:40 AM | Locked

My system won't sync since upgrading last night. Didn't realize it at 1st (busy with non-Logos stuff & didn't restart L4 after upgrade to 4.5 B1).

But we have a repeatable error (log attached).

Sync error.
Click Sync.
Repeat..

Here's the log from today (old ones all deleted):
6562.Logos4Error.log

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:48 AM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:
New use cases requiring multiple sets of highlighting on a single book.

Thank you! Effectively, this seems like it'll remove one of my last dependencies on L3... No longer will I have to use L3 for teaching, in order to allow classes to have highlights that are separate from any other use I may want to make of the same Bible resource. THANK YOU!

Now, here's hoping I'll be able to associate these highlight notes with (& auto-open only by) the layout specific to each class--and that if no highlight note is selected it'll mean no highlighting in the book. If it all works this way, I'm going to be one VERY happy camper!

Re the design choice? I can & will learn to use whatever you use to provide the capability. Thanks again...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:51 AM | Locked

Halo Hound:

grrr....I had forgotten to change my channel back to beta....downloading now....

So did I... Right there with ya'.... Embarrassed Zip it!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 1:08 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
But notes still have a ways to go (Luke 18:1-8).

Yes

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 1:17 PM | Locked

BillS:
No longer will I have to use L3 for teaching, in order to allow classes to have highlights that are separate from any other use I may want to make of the same Bible resource. THANK YOU!

Yes this does open up a new world of flexibility Bill

BillS:
Re the design choice? I can & will learn to use whatever you use to provide the capability. Thanks again...

Great attitude and lesson for us all Bill.  This will present its challenges no doubt because we are used to doing it differently, this will now force us to re-asses how we do things with notes and highlights, but the opportunity is there for positive outcomes, as you suggested above.  It's clear this is a design choice to bring notes and highlight to mobile devices so we are a step closer to seeing his a reality also.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 2:26 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

We could have duplicated the whole notes file system for highlights, but people are also asking for highlighting capabilities on the selections to which they attach notes. So it just made sense to merge these things together into a single annotation system.

Been wanting this feature (merging highlights with notes) for the last few years! Thanks!!!!

Posts 821
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 2:54 PM | Locked

I have to disagree - but I guess it all comes down to how each of us uses L4 and highlights and notes are completely separate in my workflow and usage.

Maybe it's semantics - the concept is OK - having a simpler system, allowing collaboration etc, but the design framework developed to implement that concept is either fundamentally flawed, or needs a lot of rethinking - I can't decide which at this point!

Posts 35578
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2011 6:06 PM | Locked

Richard Lyall:
but the design framework developed to implement that concept is either fundamentally flawed, or needs a lot of rethinking - I can't decide which at this point!

Do you have a concrete alternative?

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 7:42 AM | Locked

Mitch Davis:
Been wanting this feature (merging highlights with notes) for the last few years! Thanks!!!!

After using this feature since yesterday I am able to create as many "versions" of highlighting any bible/book as I see fit. For instance, I can go through the whole Bible and use a high lighting system to create "16 periods of the Bible". I can later use another high lighting/notation system on "shadows". Then a third system for another purpose. At any time I can toggle (via the visual filter) which highlighting/note system I'd like in view while doing my studies.

So much better now. :-)

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:23 PM | Locked

I am very happy that we can finally sort notes in various ways. This is really good. 

I am not sure why the size of note icons was increased. I find them more obtrusive. 

It is encouraging to see some venturing into improving notes. I look forward to further enhancements. 

Blessings.

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS