What does it mean to upgrade a library?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 14 2011 5:05 AM

Upgrade Scholar's Library: Platinum (KF) to Scholar's Library: Platinum (JG)

What does it mean to upgrade a library? I believe that this is actually called a crossgrade in my case.

My software version is unchanged: Logos Bible Software 4.3 SR-5 (4.30.0.1603)  Copyright 2000–2011

There is no annotation in my client software that there is any change.

Other than an entry in my online Order History, I cannot discern any change.

I am quite confused by this.

Living in the Fruit of the Spirit! Big Smile

For the glory of God alone! Yes

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 5:51 AM

You are correct - this is a crossgrade.  I assume this is in reference to yesterday's blog post in which logos indicated they are now including the Revised Common Lectionary: Daily Readings in various base packages. 

Like you, I started with Platinum (KF) and am now on Platinum (JG).  The blog post (which I have linked above) does talk about a "crossgrade":

How to Get It

1. Go to the upgrade page.
  2. If you own an LE or KF base package, select the free crossgrade option.
  3. Your free crossgrade to JG (from LE or KF only) includes the Revised Common Lectionary: Daily Readings.
  4. Next time you start Logos 4, the lectionary will download automatically. (If you noticed the book didn’t come through, simply type “Update Resources” in the Command Bar and Logos 4 will download them.)

Other than the inclusion of this new resource in your library and base package, there should be no discernible changes as a result of this crossgrade.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 5:54 AM

Dennis Audet:
What does it mean to upgrade a library? I believe that this is actually called a crossgrade in my case.

Dennis, you are quite correct about the more fitting name of "crossgrade" in terms of most of your library.  6 resources were added to your library, so some see this addition, and progression to the next version of the base package as an upgrade.

Posts 30658
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 5:57 AM

Dennis Audet:
What does it mean to upgrade a library?

"Upgrade" generally refers to moving from one level to another (i.e. "silver" to "platinum"). Sometimes Logos adjusts the base packages (in large or small ways) and you can "upgrade" from "Platinum (KF)" to "Platinum (JG)." In this case the upgrade was free for those who owned a (KF) base package.

A crossgrade is when someone wants to add the basic functionality of Logos 4 (i.e. reverse interlinears). 

I am unsure of the changes in JG over KF except that a lectionary was added.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:01 AM

...and now Dennis you have awakened the Trifecta (three posters who all write virtually the same answer at the same time without each other knowing) Stick out tongue

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 7:03 AM

So, if I understand the responses, Logos added a free Lectionary to all the base packages and that warranted in a change in the base package from KF to JG. The features and functions of the base package are unchanged. Everything else is the same.

Posts 27
Chris Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 7:32 AM

There are LOTS of items labeled as "NEW" in the comparison charts.  What's up with that?  "New" since what/when?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 7:43 AM

Chris - I agree it can look confusing.  I'm guessing they mean new since L3

Dennis - I think of it like how the Betas are numbered.  Every change gets a new number/name

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:47 AM

Paul, I'm only dealing with what has gone gold. I'm not part of or seeing Beta development.

My opinion is that when I click on the question mark (Help) at the far right of the toolbar and click About Logos Bible Software, it should report the Library version along with the software version. I have been saying this for years, even back with Libronix. My words seem to fall on deaf ears.

Or, alternatively, there should be an About Logos Resource Library which displays the Library version and perhaps number fo resources of each "Type" and total resources.

Posts 30658
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:15 AM

Dennis Audet:
I'm not part of or seeing Beta development.

The update from KF to JG has nothing to do with "Beta development." It is just a refresh of the base package. 

Dennis Audet:
there should be an About Logos Resource Library which displays the Library version

There are no "Library versions." I think you mean to say "Base Package."

Dennis Audet:
number fo resources of each "Type" and total resources.

The library already shows you how many resources that you have. It does not distinguish between how many resources came with your base package and which ones you purchased separately. If you click on "Type" it will organize the resources in your library by type. It would be nice if it gave the number of resources under that type.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:17 AM

Dennis Audet:

My opinion is that when I click on the question mark (Help) at the far right of the toolbar and click About Logos Bible Software, it should report the Library version along with the software version. I have been saying this for years, even back with Libronix. My words seem to fall on deaf ears.

Or, alternatively, there should be an About Logos Resource Library which displays the Library version and perhaps number fo resources of each "Type" and total resources.

It would have to display all the base packages ever purchased (and every version of those packages) if it was going to be at all accurate.  A person who has had several versions of the Platinum library will have more books than the one who has just purchased the latest one (because of changes to the contents of the packages).  A person who has upgraded from Original Languages to Scholars has a combination of books from both, which is more than just what is in Scholars. Neither of those packages supercedes the other.

The Account Summary menu option from Logos 3 (Libronix) displayed all of the packages purchased, plus all of the individual unlocks.  Perhaps that is what you want.  It would have to be improved from the L3 version, IMO.  My Account Summary went on for pages, and it was hard to find things in it.  If it were better organized, it might be a nice feature.

HOWEVER, the Orders page from the Account Summary on the Logos website does basically that already: My Account - Orders
The Order History lists all of the purchases including library upgrades.

But you're right, there's no easy way to tell what's changed (historically) in a library upgrade.  The best way is to check the recently updated resources list on the Logos application home page immediately after you've done the upgrade.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:58 AM

Paul Newsome:
Dennis - I think of it like how the Betas are numbered.  Every change gets a new number/name

Dennis Audet:
Paul, I'm only dealing with what has gone gold. I'm not part of or seeing Beta development.

alabama24:
The update from KF to JG has nothing to do with "Beta development." It is just a refresh of the base package.

it seems as if my use of simile shot right past everyone.  To try that one again, I was comparing how the base package versions (KF, JG, etc.) progressed in sequence much like the Beta versions, or Gold versions, or anything else for that matter.

...won't make that mistake again!

Posts 30658
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 11:13 AM

I understood your use of simile. It was smooth like butter. Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:33 PM

Todd Phillips:

Dennis Audet:

It would have to display all the base packages ever purchased (and every version of those packages) if it was going to be at all accurate.  A person who has had several versions of the Platinum library will have more books than the one who has just purchased the latest one (because of changes to the contents of the packages).  A person who has upgraded from Original Languages to Scholars has a combination of books from both, which is more than just what is in Scholars. Neither of those packages supercedes the other.

The Account Summary menu option from Logos 3 (Libronix) displayed all of the packages purchased, plus all of the individual unlocks.  Perhaps that is what you want.  It would have to be improved from the L3 version, IMO.  My Account Summary went on for pages, and it was hard to find things in it.  If it were better organized, it might be a nice feature.

HOWEVER, the Orders page from the Account Summary on the Logos website does basically that already: My Account - Orders
The Order History lists all of the purchases including library upgrades.

But you're right, there's no easy way to tell what's changed (historically) in a library upgrade.  The best way is to check the recently updated resources list on the Logos application home page immediately after you've done the upgrade.

Peace, Todd!                           *smile*

Thanks for your post!

Out of curiosity I just took a peek at my Logos 3.0g Account Summary.  (I'm not sure why; but I keep Logos 3 on my computer alongside Logos 4 - and properly updated -  just for old times sake, I guess!  I don't really use it anymore, but I like having it there; and I have plenty of HD space.)

And the Account Summary is pages and pages and pages indeed!  Long, long, long.

However, good old Logos! -- I just got my free Spurgeon prayers yesterday, and it's there.  Am quite surpised! 

Also, yesterday I "cross-graded" to Portfolio JG and it is there already!  Then I noticed that my Portfolio KF was there also ...    AND   my plain old first Portfolio LE from November, 2009 !    All those books - mainly the same - listed three times.....             pages and pages

Along with my many purchases, the Account Summary is quite unwieldy.  However, the "find" feature permits one to find a specific item.

That could turn out to be "handy" sometime; so maybe I'll keep my L3 for just a little longer.

2 Thessalonians 3.16

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS