Limiting Searches for Faster Results

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
William F. Hill, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:06 AM

Is there a way to limit what books in the digital library are searched when conducting a passage or topic search?  For instance, if I want to search for the term "hope" can I have only specific resources searched as my "default set" of books in my library instead of having it search the entire library.  My library is quite large and there are not too many times where I need to get results on every book that I own. 

Thanks!

W. Hill

Posts 36041
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:31 AM

Yes - where it says "entire library" there is a drop down box that gives you your options. You may need to creat a "mytag" value for those you wish to select.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1927
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:34 AM

Can you limit your search?  Yes.  You can select any collection or series you have on your computer.  I haven't tried what MJ says about just doing it by tag, but will assume she is correct about that since I picked now for a re-index.

However, does it make faster results?  Sorta.  The search itself is SLOWER if you limit it since the computer has to do more work since the index is for the whole library.  It is still pretty fast and since it returns fewer results it may even display faster.  You would certainly be able to go over it faster.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:58 AM

I only use collection searching for one reason...actually for the SAME reason that I used it in v3 (except that for v3 a full library search was out of the question) I use it to limit the TYPES of hits...

I don't care what a commentary says about a pottery jar; I care what bible and spade has on it...

I don't care what Hally's bible handbook says on supralapsarianism, I care what a systematic theology says about it...

and so on....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:43 AM

Kenneth McGuire:
Can you limit your search?  Yes.  You can select any collection or series you have on your computer. 

I know that I can add collections to the Passage Guide, but they only stick for a single search. How do I add collections permanently?

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:46 AM

JackCaviness:

Kenneth McGuire:
Can you limit your search?  Yes.  You can select any collection or series you have on your computer. 

I know that I can add collections to the Passage Guide, but they only stick for a single search. How do I add collections permanently?

Jack,

you would need to create a custom passage guide.

I don't want to tell you what you may know, but you can create a custom Passage guide called My Passage Guide  (similarly for EG: My Exegetical Guide; BWS My Bible Word Study). Once you have done this, they will be the guides used when the guide is automatically triggered - such as from the home page. They also always appear in the right click context menu.

Do you know how to create custom guides?

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:52 AM

Hi Jack,

I have played with many of the guides, search boxes and tools. For example open a "cited by" tool (formerly reference browser) and select the drop down box. Mine had my journals already spit by publisher, some other series already setup and then all my collections that I created.  

The PG is set up to allow users to return to the default setting. Create a new guide and name it My Passage Guide, put what you want into it and it will be saved.

I have opted to open a "Cited by" tool and use it instead. It is faster and easier to read and change. I simply change the collection do my study and then change the collection again. For large hits you can open a search with a single button. I have changed and rethought my workflow and am very pleased with the results I am getting in L4.

Hope this helps

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:17 AM

John,

Wow..I had no idea you could change the resources in the cited by window...thanks for the tip...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS