OT: The Digital Library

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:31 AM

I know this is way off topic, sort of - but not entirely.

To me this was a fascinating article on the digital Library in which a Massachusetts school dumped the dead tree copies and went all digital.  The All-Digital Library -- THE Journal

It made me wonder just how many of us Logosians are or have completely voided the paper-Library in exchange for Logos?

Personally I still have a collection of core reference works like TDNT, an assortment of commentaries, Greek and Hebrew Reference grammars.  But I've only purchased less than a dozen dead tree books this year - if you knew my former addiction you would realize that this is major.  

So... What's the scale of your digital library?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:38 AM

I am 100% digital.

Posts 1821
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:54 AM

i use mainly digital resources, the only hard copy resources are Hebrew and Greek resources that are not in Logos format, and a few commentaries that are not in Logos format either.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:16 AM

I would like to be more digital than I am.  I've found a couple of book series I'll keep in hardback as they are issue related and good for lending if I should find someone curious on the issue.  Other than that I'm trying to keep the hardbacks and paperbacks to a minimal while attempting to keep my digital library to Logos/Vyrso and one other website's digital format.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:20 AM

Thanks to Logos, I now have many more electronic books than I do paper books.  Probably more than I can read in my lifetime.  Unfortunately, I still find it more "natural" to read paper versions than I do electronic versions.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:41 AM

My wife and I bought my in laws' house off them and my father-in-law left me a very sizable collection of Biblical books (many of which were given to him in his younger days), most of which are up in the attic.  I have my preferred books closer to hand in my small study.

Despite having this large collection of books, I think I eclipsed this library when I subscribed to the Platinum base package.  I have also added some one-off resources to it in the few months since I jumped on board.

My future focus will definitely be on trying to expand my electronic library.  Reading books on my iPad is a big benefit to me.  Each time I need a new book I look to see if it's available electronically.  I'm sure I will always retain a modest collection of hard copy books.  There is something nice about picking up a real book off the shelf and leafing through it...

Posts 44
Bob Fuller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:10 AM

My total ministry library is about half/half. I am working to add significant resources to my Logos collection and then get rid of the tree copies (mostly to younger men who may not have the money to invest yet). That said, a great deal of my tree library is in resources that Logos does not have (and probably never will). So, I expect that at best my library will become about 65% digital - 35% paper. BTW, I have the Scholar's Platinum with a lot of my own purchases added to is.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:40 AM

I don't know that I will ever get to be all digital, since some books and magazines I just like to pick up to read. If Logos resources were available to read on a light weight e-ink reader with highlighting and notes that would sync with the Logos cloud I could see it happening faster. I am working on getting all of my study resources purchased in Logos. That would include those I have in other software programs as well as those on my bookshelves. I would say about 15-20% of my resources are still on my bookshelves. Some of those I have already added to Logos, but I can't seem to remove them from my shelves.
I haven't purchased a paper book in over a year now since I really want to have everything in Logos.  With the launch of Vyrso, I am hoping that more of the non-technical books will be available closer to their publishing dates. 

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 10:24 AM

I've pretty much gone all digital. I even just check out Kindle books from my public library. I use my Bible on my iPad, and it's been awhile since I got a paper book. 

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 10:43 AM

Logos and, particulARLY, Kindle has saved me from feeling the need to buy many paper books.  And it's wonderful when travelling.  For the weight of about 3 books, I have innumerable books on Logos app, vyrso and KIndle.  Kindle is great for reading on public transport when I don't want to flash the iPad around.  Here in German I've bought 3 books and been given 2, none of which are likely to appear in Logos, being mostly biographical rather than theological.  Digital books significantly reduce my problems of trying to avoid paying extra for flying with overweight baggage!

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:48 PM

I have retained a very small number of books... perhaps 400 or so.  Kind of a memorial Big Smile

"I read dead people..."

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 1:52 PM

Thomas Black:
So... What's the scale of your digital library?

Ten years ago: 5% digital, 95% print

Today: 80% digital, 20% print.

Of the 20% that are print, I use them far less than 20% of the time. My prime resources are in Logos. 95% of my time is probably spend using the great Logos resources I now have.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS