Expositors Bible - Another Community Pricing book over the top !!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 26 2011 4:48 PM

Looks like we have until November 4th to get the price even lower.....  Smile

http://www.logos.com/product/8539/the-expositors-bible

Posts 1027
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 4:59 PM

I was going to post exactly the same thing Smile It's currently at $40, let's try to get it down to $35 or maybe $30

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 5:55 PM

we're really churning them out! ...and it looks like Logos is doing their part to keep up!

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:03 PM

I wasn't sure if I wanted this resource because I know very little about it. But the fact that Warren Wiersbe said, "If you can locate the six-volume edition of the Expositor’s Bible, buy it immediately!", makes me want it. 

Does anyone know more about this resource? For instance, what is its position concerning the interpretation of Genesis 1-11?

Posts 5591
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:33 PM

Joshua Garcia:

I wasn't sure if I wanted this resource because I know very little about it. But the fact that Warren Wiersbe said, "If you can locate the six-volume edition of the Expositor’s Bible, buy it immediately!", makes me want it. 

Does anyone know more about this resource? For instance, what is its position concerning the interpretation of Genesis 1-11?

I'm pretty sure they agree with Warren Wiersbe's interpretation of Gen. 1-11.

...wait for it...

Stick out tongue

...I'm just kidding, actually.  I'm not really sure, but I am planning on getting it...I'm hoping that having it my collection will make me an "expositor". Angel

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:25 AM

Joshua Garcia:
For instance, what is its position concerning the interpretation of Genesis 1-11?

You could take a look at the sample pages on the web page. Page 3 of the Genesis - Ruth commentary should answer your question. The print is very faded and requires a couple of zooms, but it is readable.

Note that one of the endorsements contains the information that this set was written by a mix of conservative and liberal scholars, so you should find some with which you agree and some that you reject.

Posts 124
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:54 AM

Perhaps I should have started a new thread...but another set to look at and consider in community pricing is The Speakers Commentary.

http://www.logos.com/product/15463/the-speakers-commentary

brooks cochran

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 5:08 AM

Being tight-fisted I'm in at $30.00, although would be happy to increase if necessary.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:28 AM

Brooks Cochran:

Perhaps I should have started a new thread...but another set to look at and consider in community pricing is The Speakers Commentary.

http://www.logos.com/product/15463/the-speakers-commentary

brooks cochran

Thanks, Brooks... I'm in.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:59 PM

Joshua Garcia:

1. Have you noticed the images on product webpage show the commentary on Genesis 1- 2 ?

2. "The text is popularly written and devotional in character."  (Referring to I & II Samuel.)

Grace Seminary. (1980; 2002). Vol. 1: Grace Theological Journal Volume 1 (124). Grace Seminary.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 3:52 AM

Scott S:

Joshua Garcia:

1. Have you noticed the images on product webpage show the commentary on Genesis 1- 2 ?

Wow, I feel stupid. While the text was blurry, I was able to understand its position quite well! For anyone who is interested in what I found the text states:

1. The author of Genesis was not aiming to describe the process of creation.

2. Chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis are glaringly incompatible in detail.

3. Genesis only deals with our "spiritual history".

4. Day does not mean day.

5. The author in Genesis only used the word "day" because he would have been discredited by his contemporaries if he had said millions of years. Therefore, he used the current cultural ideas of how the world was formed as to not offend his readers.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 7:33 AM

Joshua Garcia:
While the text was blurry, I was able to understand its position quite well!

What I think we are seeing here is a standard problem with commentary sets written by multiple authors. Some of the volumes will take positions with which we strongly disagree. Other volumes may greatly please us. This is the nature of these sets. You have to take the trash along with the treasures.

If the set ships as multiple resources, which I hope it does, then one can hide the "trash" volumes using "Hidden Resources" on the program settings panel. This will keep then "out of sight and out of mind." On the other hand one can keep all the volumes available and use the "bad" ones to illustrate weak ideas or maybe even heresy. One often reads "bad" volumes, not be believe them, but to make sure one's own good teaching address the issues raised in the "bad" volumes.

I once saw a bumper sticker that say "No one is ever useless, they can always serve as a bad example." Maybe that is what I am saying about certain volumes in a commentary set.

There is, I am told, enough good volumes in this set to make it work buying, especially at this price.

This same principle can also be applied to a single volume by a single author. One buys the volume because there is enough good material in it to make it worth the price.

Posts 36090
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 9:37 AM

Joshua Garcia:
4. Day does not mean day.

You mean back in the day, day didn't mean day? In my day  "during the day" meant day(light hours) but in a "couple of days" meant calendar days even if partial. Of course in the day of the dinosaurs day as a word didn't exist so day didn't mean anythingWink

Sorry this was just too fun to pass up.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 10:28 AM

Any day now we could get some light on Genesis 2:4

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 10:06 PM

Jerry M:

Any day now we could get some light on Genesis 2:4

It's a good thing we have Logos Bible Software to save the day. It appears that beyôm is an idiomatic phrase. And since yôm here lacks a numerical adjective (unlike in Genesis 1), I'm going to have to agree with the NIV translators and suggest that this is more appropriately translated "when".

Gen 2:4 NIV

This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.

Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS