Logos and Outboard Monitors

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 2 2011 9:59 AM

Dear David and other Code/idea/smart folks:

As I stated in another thread, I was/am having some issues with Logos and, after going through the Forums ( much help from Smiling and others ), reading all the Wiki's ( applying recommended tweaks ) watching all the Video's ( Logos, Staff, Barnes and many users) I came to the conclusion I had some real issues that were not going away, so, back to the forums and was advised to call Tech Support.

Tech support was able to help with some things ( we screen shared ) but some they could not fix such as crashes on start-up, screens doing strange things when internet is enabled, searches crashing Logos, etc.

One thing really stuck out for Tech and myself was when I told them the "buttons" do not work when I am using outboard monitors. They had not heard of this problem, but, If I remember well, they were able to duplicate . One thing I am sure of is they were going to report it as a New Bug, one unknown to them prior to my call.

I am on a Macbook 5.1, 2.4 gig dual core , 4 gig ddr3 memory, 250 gig hard drive with 150gig free.

OSX-LION

Ok, when on my Macbook Screen, all the "buttons" for drop down menus work, but if I slide the Logos Ui up "or" over to another screen, most of the little "arrow type buttons" for drop down menus cease to function. They become similar to very fast momentary switches, but without ever leaving anything "open", the menu will appear for just a dec., then disappear again.

Thus in the Exegetical Guide-the "setting's" arrow in grammars will not function.

Word by Word- setting arrow will not function.

These same "buttons" seem to work fine in the Passage guide and Bible word study panes.

Ok, over to Main Biblical Text Pane: These "buttons" are fine on macbook, some do not work on outboard screens= the three circle icon in Biblical Text fields, and, any other panes I open, this Icon is also momentary and not open long enough to see whats there.

That said, "sometimes" they will all work-"One Time Only", then become momentary after that.

It's like having a switch that will never "catch" open.

Would love to have a workaround for this.

Blessings.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 11:06 AM

Could you describe your configuration in greater detail?

• What resolution are you running on the MacBook?
  • What kind of model is your external monitor (brand & size)?
  • What is the resolution of the external monitor?
  • How is the monitor connected? If you're using an adaptor for the mini display port, which kind is it? DVI? Dual-link DVI? VGA? HDMI? Is it an Apple-produced adaptor?
  • How are your displays logically arranged? (a screenshot of the Arrangement tab of the Displays section of System Preferences would be most helpful)
  • Which display holds your menu bar? (this will also be covered in the screenshot)

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:12 PM

• What resolution are you running on the MacBook? 1280x800
  • What kind of model is your external monitor (brand & size)? ACER 19'' HOME, 23" office.
  • What is the resolution of the external monitor? 1440x900 home, think office is same, not sure, home sick this week.
  • How is the monitor connected? If you're using an adaptor for the mini display port, which kind is it? DVI? Dual-link DVI? VGA? HDMI? Is it an Apple-produced adaptor? Apple mini display port adapter-VGA
  • How are your displays logically arranged? Outboard display above at home. To Left side at Office.

Not sure how to do screen shot-Looking.

Others on site have had same issues, it is repeatable across systems, Logos tech support was able to duplicate.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:16 PM

Screenshots:

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:48 PM

The arrangement tab is the one that looks like this:

So far, I've been unable to find anyone at our offices that can replicate this problem. I'll keep looking.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 226
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 2:28 PM

I use triple monitors (two spanned together into one mega screen) and have never had any issue.  Here is a screen shot of my one spanned monitor with logos on it.  Runs like a champ all day long.

Dr. Kurt Trucksess www.christ2Rculture.com
Posts 30482
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 2:54 PM

Kurt - All I have to say is "Wow!" Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 226
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 3:11 PM

Might I kindly recommend the Matrox DualHead2Go - DP Edition.  It does the trick.  

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 3:42 PM

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 3:51 PM

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:17 PM

I might add again: This was a repeatable error when talking to Tech Support>

It has been repeated with people on the Forums.

Tech support said: We are reporting this to the developers right away.

If there is no "ticket Item" reporting this, then I am, rightfully in my opinion, a bit concerned about this.

Posts 71
Romulo de Amorim Correa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:21 PM

It seems to me that I had a similar problem. 

Look this video to see if it is the same problem.

http://www.screencast.com/users/Romulo/folders/Jing/media/f1244144-e681-4034-8dae-7a63b726ee79

and here is the thread I mentioned the problem.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/22585.aspx

I don't know what happened but the problem stopped with the later versions of logos 4. 

Romulo

Romulo Corrêa

Brasília - Brazil

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:25 PM

Dear Dr. Kurt: I do not see any of the "drop down" menus open in your screenshots indicating the particular buttons I mentions are indeed working on your set-up.

Would you mind do me the favor of trying those "buttons" mentioned and see if they do indeed work, and, work repeatably?

I would appreciate it very much, any input is helpful in trying to track this issue down.

Apple states my computer its fine, Tech support says it's not on my end, but be looking at set-ups that are working vs ones that are not, we may be able to help tech support/programmers.

Who knows, might even help something else work better.

Also, and I did not see indication on this, are you using a macbook or iMac ?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Blessings,

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:30 PM

Yes! same problem, but in more areas.

Thank you Romulo!

You made my Day!

David: The issue is pretty much the same shown in Romulo's video.

Again, does not do this on my Macbook Screen, but does do this on all outboard monitors.

Thanks.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:33 PM

David: I might add that it does not matter what mouse I use ( i have tried a couple) or the track pad, results are the same.

I have: Repaired Permissions, reset PRAM, reset SMC.

Nothing else running on Mac, all other programs are closed.

Also at one point trashed Logos and re-installed.

If it helps: You should know that if I turn internet to ON in Logos preferences, Logos crashes on restart ( sometimes several times ) but when it does open, it opens very small, to one side of outboard monitor . It does not matter where Logos was when I close it, with internet On, it bumps up to outboard monitor and is re-sized in both directions.

Did not have this problem before the update before this last one.

Hope this helps.

Posts 226
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:40 PM

I will check it out in more depth and run the tests you suggest tomorrow when I am back at the office with all the monitors.  I am using logos 4.5 beta 4.  I am using Macbook pro 2011 model.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:44 PM

Yea, saw your setup and monitor device-impressive.

Not sure test can be duplicated that way, but worth a try.

If you had one plugged in direct to mac through dongle, might be different ( who knows ), but no need to mess with what appears to be nice set-up that is working.

If it's working-Don't mess with it-smile.

Thanks again.

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:20 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I might add again: This was a repeatable error when talking to Tech Support>

It has been repeated with people on the Forums.

Charles,

I pull out my Acer LCD Display from my Windows Desktop and Connect to my MacBookPro in a similar arrangement as yours.  I can confirm that the "Display" button of the interlinear is dimmed and suffers the same effect as you have described if Logos 4 is on the secondary external LCD.

I found something else interesting, if you click on the "parallel resource set" button and get your parallel resources drop down list, in this state clicking on the display button will display it correctly ONCE.  Hope that give the developers some leads to the bug.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:36 AM

Thank you LimJk: I really appreciate all the effort you put into testing this.

Thank you, very much.

Blessings.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:33 AM

I set my monitors up so that the secondary monitor is above the first, as LimJK demonstrated. I can now reproduce the issue (and I even experienced a crash).

Fr. Matheny: if you go to the Arrangement tab and drag your secondary display to the side of your primary display, does the issue go away?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS