Shameless Plug

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 3 2011 7:14 AM

I am making a shameless plug for this community pricing offering:

http://www.logos.com/product/8539/the-expositors-bible

A recognized standard of expository commentaries written by twenty-nine eminent scholars who were also preachers, representing every important branch of Protestantism. The Expositor’s Bible may thus be regarded as an interdenominational exposition demonstrating agreement on the profound realities and essentials of the Christian Faith.

I closes in less than 29 hours, and it looks as if one or two more bidders will put it over the top at $30.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:22 AM

Michael:

I'm already in... so close... so very close...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:26 AM

OK, I'm in.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:28 AM

If this resource comes down another $5 then:

- If I use this resource 5 times, I'll save $1 each time I use it!!

- And if I used it 10 times, why that's still 50 cents per resource opening.

Wow, this is really getting interesting ... probably I'd save even more if it weren't US dollars.

Sales make SO much sense!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 9:24 AM

If we can get this through at $30.00, $5.00 per volume is a very nice price!

The feedback on this series seems to be very good:

Praise for the Print Edition

This notable work was conceived and carried out by that genius among editors, Sir William Robertson Nicoll, C.H., D.D., LL.D. He had an exceptional knowledge of religious and literary, of theological and philosophical, thought. He understood what were the most urgent needs of the church as to spiritual enlightenment, for the better exercise of the Church's mission in advancing the Kingdom of Christ to earth's remotest bounds.

—Oscar L. Joseph, Litt. D.

If you can locate the six-volume edition of the Expositor’s Bible, buy it immediately! It takes up less space than the original fifty-volume set, and not everything in the original set is worth owning. Samuel H. Kellogg on Leviticus is a classic; so is Alexander Maclaren on the Psalms and on Colossians.

Warren W. Wiersbe, A Basic Library for Bible Students

This set, originally published in 1903, contains expositions by both conservative and liberal theologians. The most important works are by Dod (Genesis), Chadwick (Exodus and Mark), Kellogg (Leviticus), Blaikie (Joshua, I and II Samuel), Adeney (Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther), Maclaren (Psalms), Moule (Romans), Findlay (Galatians and Ephesians), Plummer (Pastoral Epistles and the Epistles of James and Jude), and Milligan (Revelation.)

—Cyril J. Barber, The Minister’s Library

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 3:55 PM

Looks like 1 more bid at $30 will put it over the top.  Will you be the one?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 4:26 PM

Michael:

Looks like 1 more bid at $30 will put it over the top.  Will you be the one?

Peace, Michael!                                and                Great Joy in the Lord!

I'm in and have been for quite some time.  With you I am hopeful.

What a shame if we don't see that one last bid, eh?

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

1 Thessalonians 2:13

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 4:46 PM

already in.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:21 PM

Careful, now everyone. It looks like it might go over the $30 edge. Any new orders need to be VERY CAREFUL.

Posts 9072
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:32 PM

Having purchased (about a  year ago) the Bible Expositor's Commentary (12 vol.) I think I'm way better off with it than with this other resource.  I know 35 or 30 is cheap, but seems a little too out dated for my use.  I love BEC and I don't use it that often because I go to my other commentaries before I go to it; so imagine me spending money on this  one resource that I might never use...not a wise choice for me.

Anyway, it's just my personal opinion.  I'm still saving for x-mas sales which will get me some better more up-to-date information.  I'm still hopeful to buy the WBC and other resources for $399 very soon...hehehe.

Blessings!

DA

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:38 PM

Interesting, when this closes on Friday it will be exactly one year after I placed my $40.00 bid. That was slow, but I am glad it finally went over the top.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:57 PM

I just noticed the community bid is now $30!

Yippee, don't you just love community pricing?

Posts 2951
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2011 9:16 PM

Douglas Alvarenga:
seems a little too out dated for my use.

Interesting point of view, Douglas.  The best advice I was ever given was read two old books for every one new book.  I love BEC, NIVOT/NT, WBC, Pillar, and my other up to date commentaries.  But frankly, the most valuable spiritual insights come from spiritual giants of past such as Alexander MacLaren (or Spurgeon, or Wesley, or Calvin, or the Church Fathers) than the "up to date" resources.  I think the best set of commentaries I ever bought are the Ancient Christian Commentary set.  Ever notice how those really good "up to date" commentaries often quote the old spiritual giants?

To each his own.  I like to stand upon the shoulders of the giants.

Blessings.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:12 AM

$30 for 5400 pages of classic commentary.

Bidding ends at noon Pacific time today

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:17 AM

Edwin Bowden:

Is this a public service announcement or are you aiming for $25.  

(I have my order in)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:24 AM

Going, going, gone!  and I didn't need to up my bid from $30!

Posts 9072
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:15 AM

Michael Childs:

Douglas Alvarenga:
seems a little too out dated for my use.

Interesting point of view, Douglas.  The best advice I was ever given was read two old books for every one new book.  I love BEC, NIVOT/NT, WBC, Pillar, and my other up to date commentaries.  But frankly, the most valuable spiritual insights come from spiritual giants of past such as Alexander MacLaren (or Spurgeon, or Wesley, or Calvin, or the Church Fathers) than the "up to date" resources.  I think the best set of commentaries I ever bought are the Ancient Christian Commentary set.  Ever notice how those really good "up to date" commentaries often quote the old spiritual giants?

To each his own.  I like to stand upon the shoulders of the giants.

Blessings.

Alright Michael, you talked me into it.  I went in for $30 to do a little more research on it.  Though I must say BEC is quite good with spiritual insights too and is not that old.  But yeah, I'll go for it for $30 and then if I see it won't really help me then I'll cancel later, but for now I decided to jump in the wagon.

Thanks!

DA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:24 AM

Edwin's "$30 for 5400 pages of classic commentary." sounded pretty fishy, to be honest.

There's only 6 volumes. How could that be?

But it is.

Looks like you had to really exercise to be able to use some of these sets 'back when'!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:17 AM

I found an interesting quote from the 1954 issue of Bibliotheca Sacra v. 111 (Oct. 1954) that gives The Expositor's Bible some perspective from author S.L. Johnson Jr.

The review is actually on Norval Geldenhuys' 1951 NICNT Luke volume

"It appears that the series [NICNT] can be classified as midway between the technical International Critical Commentary and the more popular Expositor’s Bible. The four volumes that have appeared would fall into this classification."

Its not much but the Expositor's Bible (1903) was still considered popular 50 years after its release and less technical than the ICC
Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:34 AM

Jerry M:

Edwin Bowden:

Is this a public service announcement or are you aiming for $25.  

(I have my order in)

PSA Big Smile

I doubt that enough orders will come in to drop it to $25.

This shows the beauty of Community Pricing. It crossed over at $40, but will be only $30 because of those who jumped on the bandwagon after it reached enough orders to go into production.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS