Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the NT (21 vols.)

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:16 AM

After the success of getting a late $5.00 reduction on the Expositor's Bible last week, this seems like a reasonable opportunity for getting the following resource for $25.00, instead of the $30.00 where it looks like it's going to cross the community pricing threshold:

Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (21 vols.)

It looks like we need: (1) a few of those guys who are in at $20.00 to dig deep and boost their bids by $5.00; and (2) some new bidders to join the party.  If we're successful, that's $1.19 per volume.

This looks like an excellent value community pricing deal - check out the suggested retail price and possible saving.

Feedback for this resource:

Consummate scholarship and something like exegetical genius unite in Dr. Meyer in a degree to which it would be difficult to find a parallel.

The British Quarterly Review

Meyer's Handbook is for scholars, and to them it is invaluable, especially for its strictness of method, its exegetical acumen, and its wealth of reference and citation.

The United Presbyterian Magazine

As an Exegete, he is simply unrivalled.

The Baptist Magazine

The ablest grammatical exegete of the age.

Philip Schaff

In accuracy of scholarship and freedom from prejudice, he is equaled by few.

Literary Churchman

We have only to repeat that it remains, of its own kind, the very best Commentary of the New Testament which we possess.

Church Bells

No Exegetical work is on the whole more valuable, or stands higher in public esteem. As a critic he is candid and cautious, exact to minuteness in philology, a master of the grammatical and historical method of interpretation.

Princeton Review

The commentaries on the Epistles are marvels of patient, laborious research, and often times of most penetrating insight. If we were restricted to one commentary we should certainly choose Meyer.

The Evangelical Magazine and Missionary Chronicle

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:33 AM

Yes, Paul, Yes!!

And then there's yes, and even more yes's!!

And so close too.

Just a FEW bidders below the line tu UP their bid, it would very likely settle back down.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:53 AM

I'm already in at $25 (with my fingers crossed)  Big Smile

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 7:11 AM

We really need to not count our chickens before our eggs hatch.  We need 30.00 bids first to get this in publication and then we need to drive the price even lower this resource is worth a lot more than 30.00. I first saw it while working on my DTH degree, I like it a lot, and the price right now is great!

Jim

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:26 AM

Some jokers bid just a couple of hours before midday, Pacific time, so we only have 2 days, instead of 9, to try to get the price down....  I bid $25, but will think it's a bargain even if I need to up my bid to $30...

Posts 1027
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:49 AM

I have just upped my bid from $25 to $30 - it would be silly to miss out on this for the sake of $5

I think whoever placed the bid to take it over the top needs a lesson in how CP works, in particular with regard to the timing of placing bids!

Posts 12580
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:06 AM

Regarding "jokers" and "needs a lesson"

I think everybody is entitled to follow his/her own strategy with regards to CP. While some people look for bargains, others may consider getting a resource earlier more valuable. Others may join for the thrill of it and actually like the idea being (potentially) the one who pushed it over the top. Still others may feel they waited long enough, or they may really see the CP for the first time when they bid.

Sometimes the time for a resource to go over the top, say from 90 to 100% is stretched very long, sometimes it's incredibly fast. Sometimes the price falls after that until Friday, sometimes not. Everybody is entitled to change their bids up and down as they like, and try to argue others in doing the same, thus possibly reaching a desired outcome (may it be faster delivery or a cheaper price). However I don't think it's a good thing to flame those who follow another strategy.

Mick

(just for the record: I was in on the going price for weeks, didn't bring it over but also didn't purposely lower my bid to prevent it from doing so)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:11 AM

nicky crane:
Some jokers bid just a couple of hours before midday, Pacific time, so we only have 2 days, instead of 9, to try to get the price down....  I bid $25, but will think it's a bargain even if I need to up my bid to $30...

That is so annoying!!  I'm beginning to wonder if Logos is doing this deliberately.  As of last night, this resource was barely at 98% and the other one was at barely 95% and yet now they have surpassed the 100% mark and more.  If not, people need to learn how this process works and stop sabotaging it for the rest of us.

And why are you bidding below the price and waiting to up it $5 'if you need to'?  You are contributing absolutely nothing to the cost of production when you do that, and you are risking losing out if you don't raise your price in time.  If you are willing to pay $30, put it in.  It's not more likely to go to $25 because you're bidding low - in fact it's LESS likely.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:34 AM

OK, I have a silly (newbie) question that is a bit off topic.  How do you know what % the various resources are at?  All I see are the charts that give a general idea of where the resource sits, but i keep seeing exact percentages in various posts.  I am sure I am missing something and would love for someone to tell me what it is that I'm missing.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:36 AM

Alex, I bid what I think I'd like to pay for it, and I keep it there till the last moment to see if it reaches that.  My form of gambling!  The only time it lost me a book I might have upped my bid for was when I landed in hospital on the Thursday and was away from the computer, and not very interested in much else than aches and pains and needles and drips.  

Incidentally, how do you reckon the price is less likely to go down to $25  because I don't bid $30?  I've bid $50 for the Revelation commentaries, along with many others, in an attempt to bring the price down from $160, which I am NOT prepared to pay.  Does our failure to bid $160 mean it's less likely to go for $50??

Newbie Mick, I take your point that people have the right to bid as they see fit..  I still think if people realised we get an extra week if it reaches production cost after midday Wednesday, more people would wait till then before placing their bids.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:39 AM

That's not a silly question. When I tried to 'move' the ball Monday, I think, it didn't move at all.

Then Paul yesterday added another thread and it didn't move at all.

Then all the sudden it moves. Hmmm.

But I easily remember earlier THIS YEAR that this resource didn't seem to be going anywhere, so I'm happy even with 'the joker'!

Probably his little picture is a penguin. Oh wait, no that's the Logos guy.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:56 AM

I am thankful this has  gone over, in the end it may sell for almost 10 times this amount, this is a great resource and we still can drive it down, so let's do it.  And let's hope we get this set soon!  This is a helpful resource for a great price!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:10 PM

I think 'under the Christmas tree' would be good!!

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 1:13 PM

nicky crane:
Incidentally, how do you reckon the price is less likely to go down to $25  because I don't bid $30?

Because, in  this particular case, when you bid $25, you might as well bid $0 or nothing at all.  Your bid cannot be factored into the cost of production.  After all, if it closes at $30, any bids less than that are worthless as far as Logos is concerned.  Every bid at $30 or higher is being factored in, and if there are enough people willing to bid, the price will go down if the total amount of bids meet production cost at $25 or lower.  

A lot of people don't seem to be grasping the concept here - it is not some kind of auction where the goods are going to be sold anyway and you keep your bids low so the price doesn't go too high - it's how many people are willing to put in money to meet the production costs.  When you bid below the most popular price, you're saying in effect that you don't want the product at all because you're not willing to commit any finances to it.   That's OK if you really don't want the resource, but a lot of you seem to be indicating you'll pay that price if you have to, so withholding your support is pointless.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 2:46 PM

It's a shame we're unlikely to get this resource reduced in time, however, on the bright side: (1) it looks like we've got a great resource into production at an excellent price; and (2) it frees up a space in community pricing for Logos to throw in another good opportunity. Yes

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 4:41 PM

I am unsure who is right about the strategy. I don't read anything about how bidding $30 will knock it down to $25 if enough do it, and I can't open the link which promises all the details (does it open for anyone else?).

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:19 PM

Yeah, I bid $40 last minute on Expositor Commentary, and thought it was at $35. Cool it dropped to only $30. When do we get access tho? That was my first, and I guess this one you mention will be my 3rd.

Paul Clarke:

After the success of getting a late $5.00 reduction on the Expositor's Bible last week, this seems like a reasonable opportunity for getting the following resource for $25.00, instead of the $30.00 where it looks like it's going to cross the community pricing threshold:

Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (21 vols.)

It looks like we need: (1) a few of those guys who are in at $20.00 to dig deep and boost their bids by $5.00; and (2) some new bidders to join the party.  If we're successful, that's $1.19 per volume.

This looks like an excellent value community pricing deal - check out the suggested retail price and possible saving.

Feedback for this resource:

Consummate scholarship and something like exegetical genius unite in Dr. Meyer in a degree to which it would be difficult to find a parallel.

The British Quarterly Review

Meyer's Handbook is for scholars, and to them it is invaluable, especially for its strictness of method, its exegetical acumen, and its wealth of reference and citation.

The United Presbyterian Magazine

As an Exegete, he is simply unrivalled.

The Baptist Magazine

The ablest grammatical exegete of the age.

Philip Schaff

In accuracy of scholarship and freedom from prejudice, he is equaled by few.

Literary Churchman

We have only to repeat that it remains, of its own kind, the very best Commentary of the New Testament which we possess.

Church Bells

No Exegetical work is on the whole more valuable, or stands higher in public esteem. As a critic he is candid and cautious, exact to minuteness in philology, a master of the grammatical and historical method of interpretation.

Princeton Review

The commentaries on the Epistles are marvels of patient, laborious research, and often times of most penetrating insight. If we were restricted to one commentary we should certainly choose Meyer.

The Evangelical Magazine and Missionary Chronicle

Posts 694
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:08 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:13 PM

LegendsOfBatman:
When do we get access tho?

Legends,

We get access once it is actually produced. We aren't 'bidding' on a book already in production but promising to buy it at a set price (our 'bid') if ever it is produced. Once enough people 'bid' so that it can be put it into production it can take months for it to finally be released. You should get an email just before it is about to be released. Logos 4 will take care of downloading it automatically once it is released. Patience is called for in the in-between time.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:00 PM

Dean053:
I am unsure who is right about the strategy. I don't read anything about how bidding $30 will knock it down to $25 if enough do it

OK - suppose it takes $30,000 to produce a resource.  If 1000 people bid $30 or more, the item will go into production.  Now if 1200 people bid $30 or more, the price will drop to $25 because 25x1200=30,000 and now the cost of production is met with each person paying $25 instead of $30.  Every bid put in is factored in to each price level BELOW the bid.  Price levels ABOVE the bid are not affected which is why bids below the anticipated price are useless as far as meeting production costs are concerned.   Of course you, may get lucky and get the resource if the price drops but you're not helping get the resource into production which is the whole purpose.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS