Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the NT (21 vols.)

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:04 PM

Alex Scott:

Dean053:
I am unsure who is right about the strategy. I don't read anything about how bidding $30 will knock it down to $25 if enough do it

OK - suppose it takes $30,000 to produce a resource.  If 1000 people bid $30 or more, the item will go into production.  Now if 1200 people bid $30 or more, the price will drop to $25 because 25x1200=30,000 and now the cost of production is met with each person paying $25 instead of $30.  Every bid put in is factored in to each price level BELOW the bid.  Price levels ABOVE the bid are not affected which is why bids below the anticipated price are useless as far as meeting production costs are concerned. 

I understand the reasoning, but I think we need confirmation that this is how it works, after all Logos can make a small profit from Community Pricing, as they explain, so I don't see any necessity that they would share the wealth if there is a deluge of bids on a particular price. It would presumably just mean that a lot of people get the final bid price. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:34 PM

Dean053:

Alex Scott:

Dean053:
I am unsure who is right about the strategy. I don't read anything about how bidding $30 will knock it down to $25 if enough do it

OK - suppose it takes $30,000 to produce a resource.  If 1000 people bid $30 or more, the item will go into production.  Now if 1200 people bid $30 or more, the price will drop to $25 because 25x1200=30,000 and now the cost of production is met with each person paying $25 instead of $30.  Every bid put in is factored in to each price level BELOW the bid.  Price levels ABOVE the bid are not affected which is why bids below the anticipated price are useless as far as meeting production costs are concerned. 

I understand the reasoning, but I think we need confirmation that this is how it works, after all Logos can make a small profit from Community Pricing, as they explain, so I don't see any necessity that they would share the wealth if there is a deluge of bids on a particular price. It would presumably just mean that a lot of people get the final bid price. 

Continuing example: if 1,000 Logos users bid $ 30 and 199 users bid $ 25, price is $ 30 for 1,000 bidders.  If one more bid is placed at $ 25 (or $ 30), then community price drops to $ 25 for 1,200 bidders.  Have seen many community resources that were close to having enough bids to lower price when time for bidding expired.  While resource under development, Thankful for option to cancel pre-publication order without financial penalty (albeit if order deleted, then change mind, suggest talking with Logos sales to see about reinstating community price vis pre-publication price before resource ships).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:51 AM

Ok I see it now. Thanks for explaining. A $30 bid is *also* a bid for every number below that - $25 etc.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:21 AM

It's probably too late in the day, however the $25.00 bids are creeping up towards the finish line...

Come on new and $20.00 bidders - dig deep to make it a photo-finish. Big Smile

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 6:30 AM

Seems to be stuck at $30 so those bidding lower are going to miss out..... Whisper

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 7:54 AM

I shall regretfully raise my bid.  But still delighted at such good value!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:57 AM

Last bump in case anyone missed this great CP opportunity.

Excellent value at $1.43 per volume - $30.00 overall. 

Just over 2 hours to go before it closes.

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:51 AM

David J. Wilson:

Seems to be stuck at $30 so those bidding lower are going to miss out..... Whisper

rather than "stuck" it seems we are missing just a couple of bids to get it down to $25 - maybe only one? But you are right. Its's ten minutes to go and those bidding 20 are going to miss it - and those on 25 problably as well.

For those looking into it at the latest seconds (3-2-1- done) http://www.logos.com/product/9847/critical-and-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-21-vols

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 6:04 PM

$210 on prepub.  $30 doesn't seem so expensive now.  I'm glad I upped  my bid!

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:15 PM

Since this is my first win, and thanks to your post, now my second win, it becomes a "waiting game". Is it typically several months; or, is that "if we are lucky" or extreme cases?
And like the poster above me says, Im glad I got this 21 Vol set. So, a huge thank you for the heads up. I bid $40 or $50; but, i guess that didnt help lower the price; but, thats ok. Much better $30, than $210 which is better than $750!

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 2:37 AM

LegendsOfBatman:
Since this is my first win, and thanks to your post, now my second win, it becomes a "waiting game". Is it typically several months

This varies from resource to resource depending upon the length and complexity of the material. Sometimes they come rather quickly, others seem to take forever. Some seem to have been in process even before bidding closed.

In other words, who knows? Big Smile

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:29 AM

Thanks.

Jack Caviness:

LegendsOfBatman:
Since this is my first win, and thanks to your post, now my second win, it becomes a "waiting game". Is it typically several months

This varies from resource to resource depending upon the length and complexity of the material. Sometimes they come rather quickly, others seem to take forever. Some seem to have been in process even before bidding closed.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:02 AM

LegendsOfBatman:
I bid $40 or $50; but, i guess that didnt help lower the price

But you DID help lower the price!  When you bid $50, that bid was factored into every price lower than that, so you were actually in at every price below that.  Only thing was, in the end, there were not enough bids at the $25 level to meet the costs, but your bid at $50 was included at the $30 level which helped meet the cost.  All those who persist at bidding below the likely price are contributing absolutely NOTHING to the process, either to meet Logos' cost of production, or to speed up the publication for the rest of us, but they just don't seem to get it.  I don't know how much simpler one can make it.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:40 AM

LegendsOfBatman:

Thanks.

Jack Caviness:

LegendsOfBatman:

Couple community pricing closings in August are estimated to ship this week:

http://www.logos.com/product/8558/puritan-sermons-1659-1689 (closed 5 Aug @ $ 30)

http://www.logos.com/product/9404/the-works-of-john-*** (closed 12 Aug @ $ 21)

Also shipping soon (this week) is a community pricing closure on 21 Oct (@ $40):

http://www.logos.com/product/8531/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-genesis

For current community pricing under development, oldest one without estimated shipping date closed on 12 Aug (@ $ 20):

http://www.logos.com/product/8527/the-great-texts-of-the-bible

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2952
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:14 PM

Yes, it was a good deal.  I missed it having bid $25.  

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:58 PM

Michael Childs:

Me too.  don't know how I missed that one.  I would have upped it to $30.  Maybe I thought the bid was at 25.  I don't know.  Did you choose not to up your bid, or did you overlook it, Michael?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9080
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:32 PM

Michael Childs:

Wow, I'd hate to be in your shoes right now! But oh well, I know the feeling VERY WELL.  I missed out on Great Texts of the Bible by Hastings and I still get butterflies in my stomach when I see the ship date and the current price...Crying Oh well, at least I managed to get 2 great CP titles, Expositor's Bible and Critical and Exegetical Commentary of the NT.

DA

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS