Reformed Expository Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:39 PM

I'd love to see the Reformed Expository Commentary series on L4.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 167
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:28 AM

As I have said ad nauseum, if Logos could work out a deal with P&R and Banner of Truth, I wouldn't need to get on the blog anymore to beg for things to be in L4.

Posts 3004
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 3:12 PM

I too have requested this. I got a free copy of the the Reformed Expository Commentary on James a couple years ago at Shepherd's Conference. If the quality of the whole series is equal to that commentary, I beg for more. 

And regarding Mr. Rowe's comment on P&R & Banner of Truth. Amen!

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 3790
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:56 AM
Definitely something I would buy. I have a couple of commentaries.
Posts 147
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 9:35 PM

Me too.Smile Smile Yes

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 2:26 AM

Doc B:

...And looks like a Reformed Expository Commentary set is up now on Pre-Pub!

Posts 3004
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 2:12 PM

Thank you for the heads up. I have ordered it. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 485
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 9:42 AM

Let's get this through Pre-Pub!

https://www.logos.com/product/30485/reformed-expository-commentary

Westminster bookstore is having a huge sale -- 50% off on every volume -- and it's still more expensive than the Logos Pre-Pub price!

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 10:06 AM

Reformed Expository Commentary is going to be released today (Ships ~6/18/2014). I'm looking forward to it!

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:27 AM

Doc B:

Well, it took two-and-a-half years, but it's finally here!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 167
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 8:57 AM

Thank-you Logos; Thank-you P&R!!!

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 5 2014 9:19 AM

Not saying I don't like the commentary set, I know next to nothing about it, but went to 

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/reformed-expository-commentary-rec/ and the top ranked volume is Galatians which was #5 in the list. What is the general feeling regarding that website, do you trust their rankings? I do, although I mostly see what the ranking is for the sets I already have, WBC, NAC and TOTC/TNTC.

Posts 485
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 5 2014 11:28 AM

Scott Groethe:

Not saying I don't like the commentary set, I know next to nothing about it, but went to 

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/reformed-expository-commentary-rec/ and the top ranked volume is Galatians which was #5 in the list. What is the general feeling regarding that website, do you trust their rankings? I do, although I mostly see what the ranking is for the sets I already have, WBC, NAC and TOTC/TNTC.

They collect rankings from other sources and compile it, but I prefer looking at their sources (and others) rather than use their rankings.

There are so many different types of commentaries for different levels and purposes, that I think it's deceiving to put them all on one list and ranking them. It's like ranking "best tools" and putting a hammer, a screwdriver, and a plunger on a ranked list, based on lists created by carpenters, plumbers, and auto mechanics.

Posts 485
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 5 2014 11:35 AM

Scott Groethe:

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/reformed-expository-commentary-rec/ and the top ranked volume is Galatians which was #5 in the list.

Most of the "best commentaries" lists are written by Old Testament and New Testament scholars who are doing research. The commentaries they recommend are to aid in-depth study of these books, and are written by other Old Testament and New Testament scholars.

The Reformed Expository Commentaries are not really commentaries, but collections of sermons preached by a Reformed pastor going through a particular book. Thus, they tend not to show up on "best commentaries" lists.

If you are Reformed-ish in your theological outlook, and are looking for examples of how other Reformed teachers have taught through a book, you will find it useful, perhaps even invaluable. If you're not Reformed, or you're looking for something more technical written by a practicing Old Testament or New Testament scholar, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS