What should I get for L4? Ipad or Android Tablet?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Charles Hollingsworth | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:13 PM

I need to get a little more mobile, so the tablet seems the way to go.  The question is, Mac or Android?  Which has the better interface for using L4, and why?  Has Logos done better work on one or the other?

BTW, I have no leaning either way yet.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:16 PM

Welcome Big Smile

Gleaned from forum reading: iOS Logos app currently has more features than Android Logos app, with parity improvements planned for Android (no time frame estimate).

Upcoming Kindle Fire ($ 199) and Nook Tablet ($ 249) look attractive from a price perspective; personally waiting to read reviews about Logos Android app working on these new 7" tablets before pondering purchase to primarily read Logos resources, hopefully have highlighting, notes, and reading plan sync by end of this year.  Also noticed no response to thread => Logos Android app on Nook Tablet ?  (Nook Tablet is running a custom forked version of Android 2.3)

Currently, Apple has refurbished iPad's available => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad (same warranty as new, box has refurbished sticker).

Found an article with Top 20 Android alternatives to iPad => http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/top-20-best-tablet-pc-ipad-alternatives-690596

Caveat: Android devices have poor track record for OS updates => http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

For light weight portability, may want to consider Apple's MacBook Air laptops (released in July 2011):

AppleInsider has Price Guide => http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Mac Rumors has buyer's guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

MacBook Air can run Logos 4 Mac, which has substantially more features than mobile apps.  MacBook Air has similar weight as iPad.  Logos 4 Windows currently has more features than Logos 4 Mac (feature parity in progress, no estimate when).  New ultra book models with Windows 7 similar to MacBook Air are available for order, with shipping in a few days.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 1:34 AM

Charles Hollingsworth:

I need to get a little more mobile, so the tablet seems the way to go.  The question is, Mac or Android?  Which has the better interface for using L4, and why?  Has Logos done better work on one or the other?

If you want to be in charge of your machine and take all responsibility for the way applications work on it - and hence have the ability (and knowledge) to make it work pretty much the way you want it to then choose and Android or Windows PC.

If you want Apple to be your gate keeper, provide you with an elegant but limited way of working and applications that generally work and don't mess up your machine then choose and iPad or Mac Book.

It really depends what you want to spend your time doing.

Beware though even lap tops (without and external monitor) can be a disappointment if you are used to using Logos on the Big Screen. Logos mobile apps are not a replacement for the desktop version and have limited functionality for serious study and note taking.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 1:51 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

MacBook Air can run Logos 4 Mac, which has substantially more features than mobile apps.

As KS4J touched on, the iOS (and presumably the Android) mobile app is not Logos 4, and does not have anywhere near the functionality of Logos 4 on a PC or mac.

I've found the Logos iOS app on my iPad useful for (1) doing basic searches of my resources, (2) doing my daily Bible reading - when the syncing functionality works, and (3) reading resources like you would do a book. 

Also, be aware that due to licensing restrictions imposed by some publishers, you will not be able to read certain resources you have on Logos 4 on a mobile device.  Have a browse of the iPhone/iPad forum for more information.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:30 AM

Hi Charles,

If you're looking for software that'll do the heavy lifting, I'm not aware that either the ipad or the android (which I have) is ready for it. Heavy lifting? Even if the android had caught up with the Mac, nothing I see that's planned or present would make me feel comfortable trying to develop a sermon or a Bible study using the tablet version. The fact that you CAN accomplish it doesn't mean you're anywhere near as efficient...

If you're looking for a skinny mobile version as an ADD-ON, follow your heart... (& the wise counsel already provided)... otherwise, I'd suggest the smallest / lightest notebook (airbook, etc.) as my mobile platform & add a monitor/keyboard to offset any limitations it has.

Blessings to you!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:33 AM

Charles,

That is an issue I am facing.  Ipad is nice but the price is pretty steep, even the Android tablets of the same size are in the high end price range.  Kindle size would be ideal and cheaper.  I do have a netbook which provides portability and long battery life.  It also provides all of the features of L4 rather than primarily a mobile reader.  That could be a cheaper option you may want to consider.  I do have an iphone so I have a good idea of what the iPad app will look like.  Great for reading but not much else.  Good luck in your search and purchase.

Don

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:40 AM

We're kind of like a few responses above. In our case, we've had smart phones for about 10 years and have pretty much got tired of the pricing.

So now, we're going back to the 'basics' on phones and then getting a Wifi hotspot to run our small netbooks on the go.

Cheaper and full-featured Logos4.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:20 AM

Depending on what you need it to do I would consider a netbook.  I just got an ASUS for less than 300 dollars, that handles Logos 4 with over 2500 resources and also runs theWord bible program with 3500 resources.  This is duo core with 2 gigs of ram it is not as fast as a powerful computer, but it allows me to run the full program any place I go. I also have android on a galaxy phone and the netbook is much better!!! Plus it runs more programs useful to me than android.  If you have alot of money the small air mac might be the way to go if it fits your budget.  I do not believe android or Ipad is ready for prime time yet, even though they maybe someday!

Posts 2
Charles Hollingsworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:04 AM

Thanks all.  I appreciate the info, opinions and information you sent.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:14 AM

Charles Hollingsworth:

Thanks all.  I appreciate the info, opinions and information you sent.

A belated welcome to the Logos forums!

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:25 AM

Mike Binks:

Charles Hollingsworth:

If you want to be in charge of your machine and take all responsibility for the way applications work on it - and hence have the ability (and knowledge) to make it work pretty much the way you want it to then choose and Android or Windows PC.

If you want Apple to be your gate keeper, provide you with an elegant but limited way of working and applications that generally work and don't mess up your machine then choose and iPad or Mac Book.

It really depends what you want to spend your time doing.

To be a bit more fair - the Apple crew would say that if you want to spend your time rebooting, reinstalling and fighting viruses buy android or Windows. Both views are - to some extent- wrong. Realistically, there will be few people and few situations where you will really want to mess with your stock computer.  Underneath OSX is real UNIX and you can make it look like pretty much anything you want - for a cost in time and effort.

Mike Binks:

Beware though even lap tops (without and external monitor) can be a disappointment if you are used to using Logos on the Big Screen. Logos mobile apps are not a replacement for the desktop version and have limited functionality for serious study and note taking.

This is the real heart of what you must consider.  The iPad and Android versions of LOGOS programs (you should not refer to either one as L4, they are not L4) are primarily useful as book readers, not the powerful search and analysis system that is L4.  I think that I can speak for all users that they have a notebook/laptop/desktop system to run L4 and mostly use the mobile device for reading.  If you sync books, use dictionaries, passage guides, notes or any of the wide variety of tools available in L4, you will be disappointed by the mobile app.  Heck, I am disappointed that I cannot take notes on the current version.  But I am happy with it for reading.  The warning that most laptops are underpowered for L4 use is correct. Do not expect to buy a $300 netbook and use LOGOS (I tried this, I know - it took two days to index my collection). My 17" MBP drives the software pretty well, more than well enough to support Bible classes, its primary use.  There are Windows laptops that will do a good job, I just do not know which ones they are.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:57 PM

I have that 300.00 netbook I just got it, and if does run logos well enough to use.  I teach pastors and others how to study the bible on their computers, and I say if you shop around and buy the right netbook it works on Logos, other laptops work better, but it does the job if you get the right one.  Make sure you get a duo core,and upgrade the ram to 2 gigs.  It will not be fast but it does everything, I have more than 2500 resources and it took about 5 hours to index!

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 3:36 PM

Donald G. Fisher:

Charles,

That is an issue I am facing.  Ipad is nice but the price is pretty steep, even the Android tablets of the same size are in the high end price range.  Kindle size would be ideal and cheaper.  I do have a netbook which provides portability and long battery life.  It also provides all of the features of L4 rather than primarily a mobile reader.  That could be a cheaper option you may want to consider.  I do have an iphone so I have a good idea of what the iPad app will look like.  Great for reading but not much else.  Good luck in your search and purchase.

Don

Hi Charles - the lightweight, as in light of weight, solutions to using Logos all fall short of the desktop experience. I use an iMac with a second monitor plugged in and still run out of space. Smaller screens curtail efficiency. Great for getting work done in extremis but not great for regular work.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:43 PM

You are right all the lightweight options you give up something, but I think we are looking at ways to make use of more time by having a light weight easy to pack around option that allows you to do the most with the program, I think a good netbook does the best job of doing that.  If you just want a good reader the tablet does a good job, phones do an okay job.  Once again netbooks also do a fair job.  I hope you  enjoy what ever you get and know that things should get better in the future!!!

Jim

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:58 PM

Logos 4 is resource intensive on Mac & PC – benefits from fast processor, graphics, and disk along with adequate memory (i.e. newer hardware since Logos 4 being designed for use over 5 to 8 years).

If shopping for Logos 4, suggest looking for 2nd generation Intel Core i5 or i7 with fast hard drive and dedicated graphics.

Solid State Disk (SSD) has speed variance across various models; ranges from bit faster than 7200 RPM to much faster.

By the way, while carrying my Dell XPS 17" L702x laptop at church, a missionary asked about my "netbook".  Personally do like LED backlight screen and keyboard.  Currently, Apple has premium pricing for 17" laptops: can buy two Dell Outlet XPS 17" L702X laptops for price of one 17" MacBook Pro (at times wish for Mac OS X ease of use).  In contrast, Apple's pricing for new MacBook Air models needed $ 300 million assistance from Intel for other PC manufacturers to produce similar ultra book models (with similar pricing).

Looking at Apple's refurbished Mac store, have not seen current model MacBook Air models available (yet):

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Anticipating some Apple discounts on Black Friday 25 November.

Newegg has 15.6" laptop for $ 599.99 with 5400 RPM hard drive for $ 599.99 (15.6" screen has 1366 x 768 resolution):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215197

Upgrading to faster hard drive would noticeably improve Logos 4 responsiveness.

For $ 888.99 is another laptop that could benefit from hard drive upgrade (larger 16.4" screen has 1920 x 1080 resolution):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127453

For $ 899.99 is a 17.3" laptop with 1600 x 900 resolution (may be easier to read since items on screen are 26 % larger than 16.4" screen, but 5 % smaller than 15.6" screen)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215200

Also would benefit from faster hard drive upgrade.  Manufacturers use 5400 RPM to extend battery usability.

For Dell Outlet, coupons can provide up to 20 % off (coupons have time limits).  Also suggest comparing Dell Outlet price with build to order.  At times, Dell Outlet with coupon is substantially less than new build to order (and Newegg prices, earlier this week Dell Outlet 17" L702X with 2nd Generation Quad Core i7, 7200 RPM drive, and NVidia graphics was discounted to $ 800).  At other times, Dell Outlet pricing is same as build to order.  Dell Outlet has a twitter page with coupon codes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS