Hasting's Dictionary of the Bible in Community Pricing - close. Let's push it over

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:29 PM

With Meyer's commentary and Swinnoch closing this Friday, now's a good time to get Hastings 5 volume Dictionary of the Bible over the top. Right now it is sitting at $15.00 and needs a small push.

I quoted this some time ago but feel it is worth repeating. It was in a review written in 1963 concerning the release of the Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible.

"The editor and his associates are to be commended for having produced this dictionary. The print is clear and sharp and is easy to read; the numerous illustrations have an educational value and generally add to the beauty of the page. In the middle of each volume are eight colored plates, but they have no relation to the adjacent pages. This up-to-date work should be in the pastor's study, but if he has Hastings' four-volume Dictionary of the Bible or the Encyclopaedia Biblica, he should not discard them: they represent a type of scholarship that may never be repeated. And furthermore there should still remain room on his shelf for a one-volume dictionary of the Bible.

Henry S. Gehman
Princeton, New Jersey"

(my emphasis)

Dr. Gehman was William Henry Greene Professor of Old Testament Literature at Princeton Theological Seminary for years and a teacher of Bruce Metzger. When he states that the five volume (he refers to it as the four volume) dictionary, while dated at that time, 'represent(s) a type of scholarship that may never be repeated' that is a strong endorsement.

Put in your bid. It looks like it will go for $15 or under which is a great deal.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:40 PM

I agree this is a great resoucre and it can it can be had right now for a fraction of ISBE and it fills the role that old ISBE very well!!!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:50 PM

I'm certainly in ... Hastings can't be beat.

I didn't realize Encyclopaedia Biblica was compared. He just got promoted from the sewing room to the kitchen earlier today. Good boy!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:55 PM

Hastings had amazing output. Along with others of you I hectored for his inclusion and have been very happy to see him published in Logos. This will be a valued addition to my collection of dictionaries.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:21 PM

OK, Mark, I am in.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:38 PM

Bill Anderson:
OK, Mark, I am in.

Yes Thanks, Bill.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:26 AM

I've been in on this resource for a while.  It seems like great value and I hope it closes soon.

That said, I have been wondering the following: 

I have the Scholar's Platinum base package, and recently purchased the IVP Reference Collection (vol. 3.)  I was wondering whether it was overkill buying another dictionary, or whether this resource would complement my collection given it is potentially such great value. 

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:53 AM

you do not need to worry about adding this to your dictionaries it does add to what you have very well and with the price so low how many different articles would it have to have to make it a worthwhile resoure??? I am building a good referene library and hope this goes over the top soon and I already own what you mentioned plus 4 other large sets such as ISBE and Zondervan and others.

Posts 635
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:53 AM

I'm in.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:14 AM

Paul Clarke:
I have the Scholar's Platinum base package, and recently purchased the IVP Reference Collection (vol. 3.)  I was wondering whether it was overkill buying another dictionary, or whether this resource would complement my collection given it is potentially such great value. 

Like Jim, I have a number of dictionaries and often find that I am helped by this. Dictionary articles are like books in a set of commentaries: of uneven value. You often benefit from having a second or third or fourth article to look at. To me this is an inexpensive way to add another good Bible dictionary to my already pretty good collection.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2011 2:19 PM

This seems like another great CP opportunity if you want to add a dictionary set to your library. It's very close to going over the top.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 7:44 AM

*Bump* - This is very close.  Let's get it into production! Smile

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:49 AM

Lets get it over the top and drive the price down.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 12:48 PM

Lynden Williams:
Lets get it over the top and drive the price down.

This is a great time to get in because we'll have a whole week to get the price down after that.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 1:53 PM

Are you ready for this (after I was a teensy bit critical of the pre-pub pricing on Meyer).

Click on the Gorgias version of this set:

http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/pc-57450-10-hastings-james-and-john-a-selbie-a-dictionary-of-the-bible.aspx

Then scroll down to the bottom to see their pre-discount price.

Even their discount price kind of gave me the shivers, after I thought about the Logos' CP bid that is ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!

Then I headed over to RareBooks.Com: http://rarelibrary.com/book/OVS-B/165/DICTIONARY+OF+THE+HOLY+BIBLE.html

As "everyone" knows, RareBooks.com are SOOO much cheaper. Then again I thought about the Logos' CP bid that is  ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!

The pictures on Rarebooks are interesting too. Notice they call it the 'Holy' Bible, but the pictures have the correct title.

Apparently ADOTB is more properly an encyclopedia, the articles being quite lengthy, more similar to Anchor or a commentary.

Also don't confuse this resource with the 1-volume Dictionary of the Bible in the early 1960s. The multi-volume one's the REAL DEAL.

And did I mention? .... it's ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 2:28 PM

Denise Barnhart:
And did I mention? .... it's ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!

And did you mention it was a real deal??

Seriously, if a Logos user has nothing but a single volume Bible dictionary, there is no cheaper way I know of to add a good (albeit somewhat dated in those areas where that counts) multi-volume dictionary to Logos than this. The price will rocket up after CP is over.

For comparison the revised ISBE is $129.00 and the Anchor-Yale Dictionary is $269.95. Hastings is but $15.00 right now and by the time it goes over the top could be $12 or even $9.

Whether Denise agrees or not, this is a good deal and well worth adding to your library.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2011 3:41 PM

OK, i am in. Even i can afford $15.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 12:21 AM

Mark Smith:
get Hastings 5 volume Dictionary of the Bible over the top

Looking at graph, appears bidding at $ 15 needs ~ 9 % more bidders so can cover estimated production cost for 4,500 pages with 1,500 definitions.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 11:35 AM

Lets get this over the top.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 12:23 PM

Lynden Williams:

Lets get this over the top.

Yes Please Yes

A Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.)

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS