PB - Comma-separated reference

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 68
vandevsr | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:49 AM

I'm looking for an easy way to make a double reference (consecutive) to show up as a single.

Eg. John 3:16, 17 is computed separately by book builder.  Two verses, two hovers, two balloon tips.

I would like John 3:16, 17 to act like John 3:16-17.  How do I do that?
I tried [[John 3:16, 17>>Jn3:16-17]] but I get a double layered balloon tip. (the top portion, with the first verse, and the bottom portion with both verses.)

I would like the software to take any consecutive verses to be one passage (can you think of someone being opposed to this suggestion?)
or if that is unlikely, then set before me the solution how I can leave my original document with the comma, but get it to act like a hyphen.

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 1:27 PM

Steve Vandevelde:
(can you think of someone being opposed to this suggestion?)

Yes, I can - namely myself. For me, when I use John 3:16-17 I mean a single reference, a single example; When I use John 3:16, 17 I mean 2 separate references, 2 examples.And for responsorial readings there are times when the split means change of voice, or the response etc.

There is tagging that does what you want but for some reason I'm not finding it in the Wiki.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27058
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:01 AM

Steve Vandevelde:
I tried [[John 3:16, 17>>Jn3:16-17]] but I get a double layered balloon tip.

Try 

John [[3:16, 17 >> Jn 3:16-17]]

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 4:38 AM

Dave Hooton:

Try 

John [[3:16, 17 >> Jn 3:16-17]]

I tried this and if entered as Dave suggests it gives produces the name John twice. If you enter only what is inside the double brackets the way Dave suggests, it produces the result and pop up you are looking for.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:35 AM

MJ. Smith:

Steve Vandevelde:
(can you think of someone being opposed to this suggestion?)

Yes, I can - namely myself. For me, when I use John 3:16-17 I mean a single reference, a single example; When I use John 3:16, 17 I mean 2 separate references, 2 examples.And for responsorial readings there are times when the split means change of voice, or the response etc.

There is tagging that does what you want but for some reason I'm not finding it in the Wiki.

I also agree with MJ

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS