Video problems running L4/Win in Parallels on Mac

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:55 PM

I wasn't certain where exactly to put this post since it involves running the Windows version of Logos 4 on a Mac via Parallels.

Is anyone else having video problems in Parallels 5 in which part of the screen will completely go black as in the image below? It doesn't happen if I run Windows straight from Bootcamp. And it doesn't happen in Parallels in any  other program that Logos 4. I can minimize the window and it will go away, but it often comes back pretty soon. It most often seems to happen when moving my mouse over a link. 

I have Parallels set to give 256 MB of video RAM to Windows. Any suggestions?

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:29 PM

Hi, since it is still the Windows version, i is probably best to post it in the L4 forum since more folks are probably reading posts there.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:58 PM

Greetings,

I just finished my update from Parallels 3 to 5. I had this happen only one time and I believe it was due to closing L4 when P5 was in windows mode and then opening L4 when I was in coherence. L4 wants to open to the last screen, on my setup and this caused some resolution and video issues. I also removed 3d accelerator from the video configuration.

See if this is the cause.

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:47 AM

Changing modes was not an issue. It was occurring frequently even when opened in the same mode.

However, turning off video acceleration seems to have done the trick. It's a shame, though, that I'd have to turn off video acceleration for one program. Again, other software in Parallels didn't have the same issues. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:52 AM

R. Mansfield:
However, turning off video acceleration seems to have done the trick. It's a shame, though, that I'd have to turn off video acceleration for one program. Again, other software in Parallels didn't have the same issues. 

Turning off acceleration on Fusion speeds up Logos from what I am told. I am just downloading V4 and will be able to tell you more after that. Fortuately, Logos is about the only thing I run on Windows any more. I am looking forward to having Logos for Mac V4 catching up so that I can ditch Fusion all together.

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:46 AM

Well, you are fortunate, indeed... Parallels 5 crashed on me last night while downloading resources... I'll give it another try later today...

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:31 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Turning off acceleration on Fusion speeds up Logos from what I am told.

Are you referencing Fusion 2 or 3? I tried L4 on Fusion 2 and it was a little sluggish. I am currently trying it on a Parallels 5 trial and it is much better. Only the scrolling is sluggish. Are you referring to the acceleration in windows? Or is it a Fusion setting to disable?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 6
Marc Cohen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:58 AM

I found that VMWare 3.0 works great. Much better than parallels. Not many graphics issues and it is pretty snappy.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:05 AM

Dewayne Davis:
you referencing Fusion 2 or 3? I tried L4 on Fusion 2 and it was a little sluggish. I am currently trying it on a Parallels 5 trial and it is much better. Only the scrolling is sluggish. Are you referring to the acceleration in windows? Or is it a Fusion setting to disable?

I'm installing L4 on Fusion 3. I just did a fresh install of XP to try it out on. I read that fresh installs of XP on Fusion were faster than old installs under Version 2. Once I get the indexing done, I'll let you know how it goes.

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:08 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

R. Mansfield:

Turning off acceleration on Fusion speeds up Logos from what I am told. I am just downloading V4 and will be able to tell you more after that. Fortuately, Logos is about the only thing I run on Windows any more. I am looking forward to having Logos for Mac V4 catching up so that I can ditch Fusion all together.

I turned video acceleration off in Fusion 2, and L4 has acceptable performance. I do not know if it would be slower if I turned it back on, and I don't intend to find out. The one thing I believe did the most was assigning more disk space. I set it for dynamic and all the space I had left on the HD. After that, I had no more problems with Windows complaining about low disk space.

Jack

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:09 AM

Dewayne Davis:
Are you referring to the acceleration in windows? Or is it a Fusion setting to disable?

I am referring to the setting in Fusion.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:53 AM

Marc Cohen:

I found that VMWare 3.0 works great. Much better than parallels. Not many graphics issues and it is pretty snappy.

Which version of Parallels are you comparing to? I have found that part of the reason for scrolling sluggishness is due to the word under the mouse activating the pop up and the information window. Closing the information window makes an obvious difference. I really can't complain at the performance of Parallels 5. And if Fusion 3 is better, than there wouldn't be any complaints at all.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 30
Jordan Tatom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:24 PM

I also have a similar problem when opening up L4 Windows through Virtual Box: XP.  It hasn't done it the past view times, but it has happened.

Posts 50
Jeffrey S Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:32 PM

I had this exact problem (blacked-out window portions, or whole window).  It happened for me when I was running coherence, window, or full screen (as far as Parallels mode).  I posted on the Parallels forum (and haven't heard back) but just noticed this thread.

What fixed the problem for me was to limit the color depth of the virtual display in Parallels to 16-bit color.  At least I haven't seen the problem since, and it was continuous before.

I have plenty of power (Quad Core I7 / iMac, 8GB, with 2 cores and 2GB dedicated to Parallels).  I am guessing that the heavy use of WPF by Logos causes trouble with 32-bit 1600x1200 screen redrawing (maybe it's not fast enough, maybe it has memory issues?).

Once that issue is fixed it runs better on this setup than any PC that I have (though I don't have any really new PCs).

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 12:06 AM

JeffreySGordon:
I have plenty of power (Quad Core I7 / iMac, 8GB, with 2 cores and 2GB dedicated to Parallels).  I am guessing that the heavy use of WPF by Logos causes trouble with 32-bit 1600x1200 screen redrawing (maybe it's not fast enough, maybe it has memory issues?).

Ooooh, you got the new quad core iMac. Nice!

FWIW, I am using Fusion 3 and XP and haven't had any problems with screen stuff. In fact, my to my surprise L4 has worked pretty much flawlessly. So much so, L4 has been a delight to use. (I have been actually very surprised as I am not a big fan of virtual machines)

Posts 1
Tom Gerritsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2010 12:20 AM

The  "I also removed 3d accelerator from the video configuration."  solved it for me. 

No sense in running this if you are not going to game or do any other video stuff anyway. Now I can read my bible in 2D just fine.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS