Help! Your Customer Support System isn't working!!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12
Bruce Mills | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:03 PM | Locked

I called a few minutes ago to get some assistance on how to do certain things in Logos 4.  I waited on hold for 30 minutes, but that isn't my complaint.  The lady who answered the phone advised me it would be a 30 minute wait, and I chose to wait.

My problem is that once I got a customer support person, I asked my questions and she told me that I would have to get my answers from the forum groups because they had seen the product for a month and they had only got to see and work with it recently.  Every question I asked resulted in the same answer--go to the community forums and see if someone out there can help me.  So here are my questions:

1. In version 3, when I was working in a Word document and I wanted to copy Bible verses into the text, I did not have to leave the Word document.  I only had to click on an icon down on the system tray and the Copy Bible Verses window would pop up and I could make it stay open for future use.  I didn't have to leave my Word document to use it; it popped up as a "floating window" on top of my Word document.  I don't see that feature in Version 4 and wondered if there is a way to do that, or if I will have to click out of my Word document and go to the Copy Bible Verses panel on the Version 4 desktop to handle the insertion of the verses?

2. Also in Copy Bible Verses, it says that I can create a new style other than the default styles which are included.  I tried to create one, got all the HTML tags set the way I wanted, but then I can't find a way to save the style.  And there is no answer in the help menu which tells how to create a style.  It explains everything except how to save it once you are ready to do so.  How do I save it?

3. When I open up Passage Guide in Version 4, there are several default Bible versions listed, as well as default commentaries in a window, and default Bibles listed in the Text Comparison window.  I wanted to change those to set my own defaults for future use.  I change them, but then they seem to revert back to the originals the next time I open up Version 4.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but again, I can't figure out how to set my own default listings.

Those are my questions.  Since customer support can't help me, can someone out there in the forum give me some feedback?

Thanks,

Bruce

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:09 PM | Locked

Watch some of these videos.  You should be able to easily set your defaults.

http://www.logos.com/videos

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:19 PM | Locked

Bruce Mills:

t have to leave the Word document.  I only had to click on an icon down on the system tray and the Copy Bible Verses window would pop up and I could make it stay open for future use.  I didn't have to leave my Word document to use it; it popped up as a "floating window" on top of my Word document.  I don't see that feature in Version 4 and wondered if there is a way to do that, or if I will have to click out of my Word document and go to the Copy Bible Verses panel on the Version 4 desktop to handle the insertion of the verses?

That feature is not in 3, but is planned. Logos has stated that they didn't realize how many people use the feature, but due to popular demand will attempt to roll it out in the future.

Bruce Mills:

2. Also in Copy Bible Verses, it says that I can create a new style other than the default styles which are included.  I tried to create one, got all the HTML tags set the way I wanted, but then I can't find a way to save the style.  And there is no answer in the help menu which tells how to create a style.  It explains everything except how to save it once you are ready to do so.  How do I save it?

You go up to the little orange thingy and in the upper left hand corner of the Copy Bible Verses window and go down to "Create a New Style". Then you'll title it in that window that comes up. It'll then be saved as a format you can use in the future.

Bruce Mills:

3. When I open up Passage Guide in Version 4, there are several default Bible versions listed, as well as default commentaries in a window, and default Bibles listed in the Text Comparison window.  I wanted to change those to set my own defaults for future use.  I change them, but then they seem to revert back to the originals the next time I open up Version 4.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but again, I can't figure out how to set my own default listings.

You'll want to prioritize your favorites. You'll do that under the library window (the book icon second from the right on the upper-left of the screen). Watch the following video for how you would prioritize the NIV as a preferred BIble.  http://screencast.com/t/xMfqThyfsy. WHen you do that the NIV will default to your preferred version in all report. You can do the same for commentaries, lexicons, etc.

I hope that helps. I may have misunderstood your questions. If so, let me know.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:28 PM | Locked

Bruce Mills:

1. In version 3, when I was working in a Word document and I wanted to copy Bible verses into the text, I did not have to leave the Word document.  I only had to click on an icon down on the system tray and the Copy Bible Verses window would pop up and I could make it stay open for future use.  I didn't have to leave my Word document to use it; it popped up as a "floating window" on top of my Word document.  I don't see that feature in Version 4 and wondered if there is a way to do that, or if I will have to click out of my Word document and go to the Copy Bible Verses panel on the Version 4 desktop to handle the insertion of the verses?

Bruce,

At this time, that's the only way to do it. Bob, has indicated in a different thread that they will look at this. They didn't realize it was as popular as it is, but there are issues with Microsoft wanting to keep the task bar clean - apparently especially in Windows 7, so there is no commitment beyond looking into it, as far as I know.

Bruce Mills:

When you click on Create your own and it opens up to the edit page, you have to put a name in the top box where it says "Unnamed Style" - once you do that and click "done", it will save what you create with that name and display it as an option when you click on the first blue word in the CBV dialog.

Don't know about your experience with Customer Service. From my experience that is not normal.

Re: your default commentaries: L4 uses prioritization - watch that video

If your still confused, ask more. I would also suggest making your topic line related to your issue not your complaint. I almost didn't read this because I don't own Logos' customer support and just reading complaints that Logos needs to know about is not usually what I have time to do - there are so many posts that I want to try to help with.

Chris

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:32 PM | Locked

Bruce Mills:

I called a few minutes ago to get some assistance on how to do certain things in Logos 4.  ... Every question I asked resulted in the same answer--go to the community forums and see if someone out there can help me.  So here are my questions:

UNBELIEVABLE Surprise

Let me try.

Bruce Mills:
I only had to click on an icon down on the system tray and the Copy Bible Verses window would pop up and I could make it stay open for future use.

Good news and bad.  First the bad.  There is no CBV icon in L4, the reason is that Microsoft is asking software people not to do that anymore (yeah, weird!).  But in a recent post today, Bob actually said they'll look into bringing something like this back.

Right now the best you can do is in the command bar either:

1.  type copy john 3:16

2.   type open copy bible verses

The first will put the verse in the clipboard the second will open a dialog with more options.

Bruce Mills:
How do I save it?
  when you open a style to edit, right below the copy button is a blank.  Type your name in there, and click OK below the entry box.

Bruce Mills:
I can't figure out how to set my own default listings.

Open the library and click Prioritize in the top right corner.  Drag your favorite bibles and resources there, and order them as you wish.  Those prioritized resources are used throughout the program.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:33 PM | Locked

Wow, when I started typing my response there were no answers.  Now you have too many Wink

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3781
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:49 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Wow, when I started typing my response there were no answers.  Now you have too many

Yeah - I had that happen once or twice as well.  Once my response was delayed enough that, though I sought to be helpful and encouraging, my response came across as crass and somewhat unkind when viewed in the sequence of all responses.  Strange - very strange.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 108
Mark Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:27 PM | Locked

Bruce,

Relating to your questions, I would suggest that you go through the videos as well.  I know that that is frustrating.  I also miss the icon for copy verses and it was a distraction to me at first.  Now I have the CBV as a shortcut at the top of the page (go the to the menu and drag and drop it there.  I open the CBV and then float the panel.  After floating the panel, I manually make it small and reduce it to an icon down below.  Now I reduce my Logos 4 and open my Word doc or restore it.  When I want to insert a verse, I merely click on the program for CBV down below.  It opens up over my Word doc.  I type in the reference and hit enter.  I then either copy or copy and paste depending upon what program I am in.  It works for me and I have adapted to it now about as easily as I did L.3's CBV.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:29 PM | Locked

Mark Martin:

Bruce,

Relating to your questions, I would suggest that you go through the videos as well.  I know that that is frustrating.  I also miss the icon for copy verses and it was a distraction to me at first.  Now I have the CBV as a shortcut at the top of the page (go the to the menu and drag and drop it there.  I open the CBV and then float the panel.  After floating the panel, I manually make it small and reduce it to an icon down below.  Now I reduce my Logos 4 and open my Word doc or restore it.  When I want to insert a verse, I merely click on the program for CBV down below.  It opens up over my Word doc.  I type in the reference and hit enter.  I then either copy or copy and paste depending upon what program I am in.  It works for me and I have adapted to it now about as easily as I did L.3's CBV.

Mark,

Creative solution. Thanks. Gotta love this user help user idea.

Chris

Posts 12
Bruce Mills | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:57 PM | Locked

Everyone's answers have been helpful so far as watching the videos and learning how to set up my prioritized resources.  Also, I understand the issue of the Copy Bible Verses window not being available in the same way it was in Version 3.

However, I'm still struggling with saving my new style for the Copy Bible Verses.  I've been told to click OK and to click DONE.  I can't find either of those commands anywhere once I name and edit my new style.  Where is it found?  Maybe I'm going blind or something...

Posts 12
Bruce Mills | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:00 PM | Locked

Also, thanks Mark for the creative idea for floating the CBV panel and minimizing it at the bottom.  I'll use it that way until Logos restores the old way of doing things.

Posts 12
Bruce Mills | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:05 PM | Locked

Never mind my continued whining about not finding the OK button for saving a newly created style in the CBV.  Once I floated the panel, it was clearly visible.  I was trying to do it in a locked window and the OK button was not available in that situation.

Well, the forums did have the answers to my questions, and it was a lot more thorough than the Customer Support line.  Thanks again to all who responded.

Posts 108
Mark Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:06 PM | Locked

Bruce,

When you open up he CBV, click on Create a new style in the lower left corner.  Choose a style that you would like to modify.   Click on that style.  It will open up the style.  You will have to play with it but as you do the Bible text below will change accordingly.  If you need some help, open the help file for instructions on the various elements that can be changed.  After you have made the modifications, name the new style and click OK.  The Help button on your CBV Style Modification menu will help with the nomenclature as well.  I modified a style that I copy into my sermons all the time.  I couldn't tweak it as well as the style in L3 but it is useable and workable.  I can live with it.  Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS