ICC : International Critical Commentary

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:54 AM

It really depends what you are looking for. IMHO ICC are good at what they claim to be, viz. scholarly historical-critical approaches to the text. I have several individual volumes in print which were bought for specific study projects. I also have a coupe of individual volumes in Logos.

As I said, it all depends what you are looking for. If you want a lot of historical background then they have considerable value, but if you are looking for a commentary which focuses more on the biblical text as a literary or rhetorical text, then ICC are less satisfactory. If you are looking for commentaries that provide homiletic or devotional material, then again ICC won't provide that.

Personally, I am not tempted by the special offer, as I doubt if they would ever repay their investment costs in terms of the usage I would get from them either academically or in bible study/sermon preparation. 

Indifferent

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:59 AM

10%? Wow! What a bargain! Forgive me, please Denise. I'm thinking more along the lines of 30%. I know! It'll never happen.

Is negativity contagious?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:44 AM

Denise Barnhart:
Maybe I have 'wishful-thinking-memory'. But many months back I got a top-secret email and indeed it had a 10% off AYB (woops ...

Maybe when they saw who the secret offer was going to, they placed their thumb on the wet ink and smeared the 40% discount to make it a 10% discount. Big Smile

Whisper You should try offering them a deal where you only say nice things in your posts if they give you 40% off. (now I've gone and spilled the beans of my secret negotiating technique.)  Zip it!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:03 AM

Just as I suspected! (I love Get Smart.)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2889
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 12:56 PM

Denise Barnhart:

Regarding Hermeneia vs AYBC, easily I like Hermeneia.

Thanks.  Your comments were very helpful.  I have WBC and NICOT/NT, and I think balancing those with Hermeneia would be good. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 1:19 PM

MJ. Smith:
Super Tramp:
if you discover you purchased a commentary that is horribly disappointing or heretical. Wink
Are you sure they publish any that aren't heretical?
  Point well made.
George Somsel:
The "heretical" ones are the ones I most often enjoy since they offer a different interpretation which should be considered.  After all, I already know the traditional interpretation since I grew up with that so why should I be interested in a commentary which sim
Yes, that is when the fun starts. If I purged my Logos library of those dangerous books, I would only be left with a Bible. Imagine trying to hear from God with just one book!

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 2:40 PM

Super Tramp:
I would only be left with a Bible. Imagine trying to hear from God with just one book!

Perhaps you should elaborate, its hard to understand you with your tongue in your cheek!

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 6:34 PM

Gee, Super Tramp. It's worse than you said.

Right off the bat, before anyone could suggest great Christmas specials, NO AYB!

I keep thinking 'naughty or nice' ... 'naughty or nice' ... 'naughty or nice'.

Mmmm .... which was it? Which 'n' caused them to pull AYB?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:24 PM

Danny Baskin:

10%? Wow! What a bargain! Forgive me, please Denise. I'm thinking more along the lines of 30%. I know! It'll never happen.

Apologies: not know about never happen.

One day in October had a Logos twitter sale that included ICC => Logos on Twitter 

$ 974.95 => Hebrew Bible Bundle (54 vols.) (not a download, so add some shipping for CD's)

- - - - - - -  Twitter sale was 50 % off $ 974.95 (bit less than buying HALOT and JPS Tanakh individually)

$ 769.95 => International Critical Commentaries: Old Testament (23 vols.)

$ 379.95 => JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection (JPSTC) (9 vols.)

$ 229.99 => Forms of the Old Testament Literature Series (FOTL) (17 vols.)

$ 159.95 => Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (HALOT) (5 vols.)

Hebrew Bible Bundle nominally has 37 % discount compared to individual purchases; Twitter special offered 68 % discount.

Caveat: earlier this year JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection was on sale => http://blog.logos.com/2011/09/featured-commentaries-exodus/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:28 PM

Denise Barnhart:
Gee, Super Tramp. It's worse than you said. Right off the bat, before anyone could suggest great Christmas specials, NO AYB!  I keep thinking 'naughty or nice' ... 'naughty or nice' ... 'naughty or nice'. Mmmm .... which was it? Which 'n' caused them to pull AYB?

Seems like you got TWO lumps of coal in your Christmas stocking! One called Anchor Yale Bible and the other called NICOT/NICNT. You must have been naughtier than we thought. Devil

I am a little skeered I'm gonna get coal too. Any chance we can have an Advent calendar sale or add Hanukkah to the 12 days? Things took a downhill turn tonight when the Pumpkin Bread came out of the oven.....    I just want to be happy this Christmas!

Help Dan! don't make me choose.

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:55 AM

Logos seems to really be pushing the ICC; in addition to homepage promos, etc., I got a card via snail mail yesterday. Would somemone "bottom line" this for me? Is it or is it not worth $1200?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:11 AM

Danny Baskin:

Logos seems to really be pushing the ICC; in addition to homepage promos, etc., I got a card via snail mail yesterday. Would somemone "bottom line" this for me? Is it or is it not worth $1200?

Sell your first-born child and buy it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:12 AM

Danny Baskin:

In my opinion, YES it is absolutely worth it! ICC in Logos cannot be compared to PDF's and hardback copies (which I was using before). I waited long for a good sale and picked up the Hebrew Bundle on the Twitter Daily Deal sale (it included the OT ICC). I had previously purchased the Matthew,  Romans, Pastoral Epistles...and when ICC volumes started showing up on the Twitter Daily Deals I contacted my salesman to get a price on completing the set and took it. I'm glad that I did, even though it cost me a bit more doing it that way. Absolutely no regrets.

You do realize that if you purchase it you have 30 days to use it and determine if it is worth it to you. If you decide it is not something you value at $1200, you can return it and get a refund.

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:14 AM

Danny,

Logos has hyped the old ICC volumes (not the newer ones that have come out since the mid-seventies) through Twitter lately, too. I wouldn't buy a single one at half price.

I don't know you, your training, calling, or background, but my advice is to forget about it, especially if you were unaware or largely unaware of the ICC before all this promotion and have never looked at any of the volumes, I think you'd end up being disappointed in your purchase. If you don't know Hebrew and Greek, you'd be extra disappointed.

At one time ICC filled a spot that was not being filled by other commentaries. That has changed a lot in the last thirty-forty years and even the newest volumes of the ICC have significant competition. In most people's opinions there are superior volumes for every ICC volume, most of them available in Logos. Most of the ICC volumes you are buying are so dated they are only of interest to scholars, if even to them.

Save the $1200 and use it for resources you really have been looking at. If you are not proficient in Greek and Hebrew, look for less technical commentaries if that is what you feel you need. Lots of thread have been devoted to what those are.

$1200 is a lot to spend. Be convinced you need something before you spend that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:36 AM

Mark,

Thanks so much for your help. Though some of the ICC NT volumes have appealed to me in the past, as I'm much more proficient with Greek than Hebrew, I've already got some great sets: NICOT/NICNT, NIGTC, Pillar, WBC, etc. I've also got quite a list of stuff I really want. I will definitely heed your advice and spend the money on those volumes I already have on my "wish list."

Peace,

Danny

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 10:06 AM

George Somsel:

Danny Baskin:

Sell your first-born child and buy it.

George, my firstborn is a great kid but I don't think he'd fetch 1200!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 10:17 AM

Does anyoone remember the price of the ICC on pre-pub?  I didn't think that I had bought it prior to 2003, but it doesn't seem to appear in my history.  I think $1200 is only about $200 above what I paid on pre-pub.  Definitely a good deal for an after-pub.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 10:19 AM

Danny Baskin:

I seem to recall that we paid a fee of about $1000 to the adoption agency when we adopted my son.  You could try.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 11:08 AM

George Somsel:

Does anyoone remember the price of the ICC on pre-pub?  I didn't think that I had bought it prior to 2003, but it doesn't seem to appear in my history.  I think $1200 is only about $200 above what I paid on pre-pub.  Definitely a good deal for an after-pub.

Yes, I remember and you are right about the pre-pub price, George.  And, I agree it is a good deal after-pub.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:01 PM

Danny Baskin:

I'm not too sure about that.  I think we paid a $1000 fee to the adoption agency when we got our son.  You could try.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS