Tell us, what are your favorite commentaries on the book of Ruth?
WBC - Bush (good treatment of hebrew patterns, and overall great depth; packaged with Esther)
Targum Ruth (not normally viewed as commentary, but paraphrasing quite rich in jewish values, both major versions)
Surely There Is a Future: A Commentary on the Book of Ruth (ITC) (E. John Hamlin, Eerdmans)
The Book of Ruth: Its Structure, Theme and Purpose (Murray Gow, Apollos/IVP) - not available in Logos, but should be
The Book of Ruth (NICOT) (Robert L. Hubbard, Eerdmans)
How to Ask for Help | Logos Wiki | My Machine Specs | My Blog
My faves are:
1. Ruth: The Ancestress of Christ (John G. Butler)
2. Ruth by Daniel Block on the NAC
3. Ruth by Rob F and Mark Z College Press NIV OT Commentary
4. USB Handbook on Ruth by Jan DeWaard
5. EBC & Believer's Church
Ruth (Interpretation) - Sakenfeld
Jayson Bradley:Tell us, what are your favorite commentaries on the book of Ruth?
Another vote for Daniel Block (NAC).
Seems there are many good commentaries on Ruth, some primarily theological and some more exegetical. In no particular order, I have found these to be worth the study:
Nielson, Kirsten. Ruth, the Old Testament Library
Patricia Tull. Esther and Ruth (IBS)
Marjo Korpel. The Structure of the Book of Ruth (nice for literary structure).
Danna Fewell and David Gun. Compromising Redemption, Relating Characters in the Book of Ruth (Literary Currents in Biblical Interpretation)
Federick Bush. Ruth / Esther (WBC)
Jack Sasson. Ruth: A New Translation with Philological Commentary. (Sheffield)
Victor Matthews. Judges and Ruth. (New Cambridge Bible Comm) - short, but well done.
Daniel Block. Ruth. (NAC) Of course, there are others, such as Anchor Bible's strong offering by Campbell, though perhaps showing it age in places. The Berit Olam series (though frustrating at times) offers Ruth by Tod Linafelt. And NICOT's Book of Ruth by Hubbard.
My "Top Ten" in order of preference:
1. Frederic Bush, Ruth, Esther (WBC)
2. Daniel I. Block, Judges, Ruth (NAC)
3. Robert L. Hubbard, Jr., The Book of Ruth (NICOT)
4. Leon Morris, "Ruth: An Introduction and Commentary," in Judges, Ruth by Arthur E. Cundall and Leon Morris (TOTC)
5. Edward F. Campbell, Jr., Ruth: A New Translation with Introduction, Notes, and
Commentary (Anchor Bible 7)
6. F. B. Huey, Jr. “Ruth,” in The Expositor’s Bible Commentary (Zondervan)
7. Jack M. Sasson, Ruth: A New Translation with a Philological Commentary and a
Formalist-Folklorist Interpretation, Biblical Seminar 10 (Sheffield)
8. Paul Joüon, Ruth: Commentaire philologique et exégétique, Subsidia
9. Leon Wood, Distressing Days of the Judges (Zondervan)
10. Geoffrey T. Bull, Love Song in Harvest: An Interpretation of the Book of Ruth (Christian Literature Crusade)