Low cost way to speed up logos : Solid State Drive

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4
Leighton Tebay | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 28 2011 7:48 PM

I just threw an Intel 120GB Solid State Drive in my old 1.6Ghz Core Duo laptop.  It has made an impressive difference in navigating through logos.  I'd say it is faster than my 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo desktop.  I'd say disk I/O is definitely the bottleneck with a data heavy program like logos.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 8:03 PM

I have an SSD in my laptop containing a mere pentium chip. It does make things much faster for everything, not just Logos. But another bottleneck is graphics and Logos does better with a dedicated graphics card.

Posts 27848
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 4:09 AM

Leighton Tebay:
I just threw an Intel 120GB Solid State Drive in my old 1.6Ghz Core Duo laptop.

I wouldn't say it was low cost. Also, many laptops don't have room for an extra drive or replacing the existing HDD can cost more money.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 7:37 AM

What was the MSRP?  Stick out tongue

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 7:54 AM

Paul Strickert:

LOL.... your sentence for that humor is to go back & reread all the black friday complaint threads... Wink Stick out tongue

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 8:05 AM

BillS:

Paul Strickert:

LOL.... your sentence for that humor is to go back & reread all the black friday complaint threads... Wink Stick out tongue

Yes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 8:07 AM

Leighton ... thank you for your experience notes.

Dave's probably right; depends on the PC.

I've got a new Lenovo X220T coming in; it had an article on putting in an SSD but said I'd have to take out some sort of communications card. If its WIFI that'll be a no-go but if it's something else, I might try it.

My 'need for speed' is mainly on my MIDI software synths, but L4 would be good too.

The Intel SSD 120g typically goes for $180-200 or so; the 300g much higher.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4
Leighton Tebay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 10:56 AM

I replaced the main drive.  This process in laptops is usually really easy.  On my Lenovo x60s, there was one screw on the case and 4 screws on the brackets.  The hard drive just slid out and slid back in.  It was even easier than replacing a drive on a desktop pc.

i can take the original 2.5" drive and stick it in USB external case, although my original drive is 60GB so I'm not sure if would be worth it.

I had to install windows and move over all my data, but even that went fairly quick.  Well, it could have gone faster if I realized that Windows 7 Upgrade disks don't do "clean installs" only upgrades.  I ended up installing Windows 7 clean, and then ran the "upgrade" from the same install disk to get it to accept a product key.  Figuring that out took awhile..."what isn't this product key working".../thud /thud /thud.

It was certainly cheaper than getting a new machine of the same build quality (Lenovo xSeries  starting around $850 normally).  Plus when I do get a new machine I'll just take the SSD drive with me. 

In my experience Disk input/output is huge when it comes to big databases.  I used to run an old old Dell Poweredge Dual Processor  P3 700mhz server with 5 SCSI Drives in a Raid 5 setup.  For heavy database work it would run circles around computers with much much faster processors with regular hard drives.  I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it would make with MIDI software synths though.

Posts 146
Brian Maag | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 7:53 PM

Another thought - might consider a hybrid drive. Similar concept to an SSD, but MUCH more bang for the buck (runs at about 90% the speed of a full SSD). I put a 500 GB Momentus XT in my Mac for $100. It cruises now!

Techie note - hybrids are great for non-laptops. They do drain a battery faster than a full SSD, so laptop users have to weigh that out for themselves.

Posts 30473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 7:59 PM

Brian Maag:
I put a 500 GB Momentus XT in my Mac for $100. It cruises now!

What Mac are you running?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27848
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 29 2011 10:57 PM

Brian Maag:
runs at about 90% the speed of a full SSD).

But only for files/apps in the 4 GB SSD (for the 500 GB Momentus) and it first has to "learn" what you use most often. Also see http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/seagate_momentus_xt_750gb_review

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 12:08 AM

Dave Hooton:
Brian Maag:
runs at about 90% the speed of a full SSD).

But only for files/apps in the 4 GB SSD (for the 500 GB Momentus) and it first has to "learn" what you use most often. Also see http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/seagate_momentus_xt_750gb_review 

I'm using that hybrid drive (in a Toshiba laptop), and it really is quite snappy. I leave L4 loaded anyway, so the drive probably does have the files I need in its SSD cache.

Mind you, the 2nd generation Seagate Momentus looks even better:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5161/seagates-2nd-gen-momentus-xt-more-nand-larger-capacity

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 4:09 AM

Though Solid State Drives are somewhat pricey ($170 to $190 for a 120 Gig depending on the manufacturer) the current shortage of mechanical drives may drive the prices downward. Latest predictions for mechanical drives say it will be the end of 2012 before the supply can again meet the demand.

In March I bought a 1 Terabyte drive for $49.99. Now the same drive runs $149.99. Not to say there aren't some bargains available (1 Terabyte Samsung for $79.99 at Newegg) but overall mechanical drive prices are much higher which could help boost SSD sales. It would be nice to see the prices fall off of the plateau they have been stuck on for so long.

Do I see an SSD in my not too distant future. Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:45 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered an mSata form-factor 128g.

Indeed the slot is empty and better to put it in with a new PC than later. Not sure if I want to boot off of it or just feed synth samples.

I also notice it comes with W7 professionanl which means I can download MS's Virtual PC. I need that for some older software, but I am also wondering if I can use that to isolate Libronix (from IEx). Probably not.

Thanks again, Leighton

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:53 AM

For people wanting to upgrade your drive with an SSD:

• I concur that SSD makes any computer run a lot faster (you get a bigger return on your investment if you put your operating system and applications on it), However, as someone already mentioned another bottleneck for Logos seems to be a graphics card.  I would get an SSD first and graphics card second, if I was upgrading.
  • If you are upgrading a laptop, MAKE SURE you can access the hard drive easily. I was looking at some new laptops and manufacturers started to make it extremely hard to upgrade.  With some laptops you would have to disassemble them to bare boned to replace a HD or RAM

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:14 AM

Yep ... disassembly is going to be a bear (nice bear). Pull the back, take off the keyboard, etc. But luckily someone nice took pictures of the process and what to be careful of.

I'd assume the video is not changeable for many (most?) notebooks (being integrated into the main chip logic)?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 12:29 PM

Leighton Tebay:

I just threw an Intel 120GB Solid State Drive in my old 1.6Ghz Core Duo laptop.  It has made an impressive difference in navigating through logos.  I'd say it is faster than my 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo desktop.  I'd say disk I/O is definitely the bottleneck with a data heavy program like logos.

Leighton, I skimmed the thread and didn't see this addressed, but how did the SSD differ in power usage?  My L4 drinks my MBP battery like no one's business.  Any noticeable difference, positive or negative?

Posts 496
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 1:25 PM

SSD's use less power than standard hard drives

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 2:02 PM

As Larry noted, SSD's use less power. But in doing my research, some users reported substantially increased battery time (hours), while others couldn't detect any difference.

I'd assume even with Logos, it depends on the type of activity (reading, searching, etc).

Most examples of real-world timings were along the lines of 50-75% reduction in time-to-do-X.

Posts 30473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2011 2:29 PM

Paul Newsome:
how did the SSD differ in power usage

Since SSD have no moving parts, you would expect less power consumption.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS