Low cost way to speed up logos : Solid State Drive

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:36 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Yep ... disassembly is going to be a bear (nice bear). Pull the back, take off the keyboard, etc. But luckily someone nice took pictures of the process and what to be careful of.

Wow Denise! What model laptop do you have that requres so much disassembly to replace the hard drive? I have a low end Acer and everything easily is accessible. I just upgraded my memory from 4 to 8 Gig and it took me all of five minutes to do. The hard drive is also accessible through the same cover. I can't see upgrading my hard drive any time soon. I have a 640 gig drive so space is not a major concern and SSD's are still too pricey in that capacity. It would cost me over twice what I paid for the laptop to get a comparable capicity in an SSD. Besides, once Logos is loaded I don't see any performace lags with the current setup.

Denise Barnhart:

I'd assume the video is not changeable for many (most?) notebooks (being integrated into the main chip logic)?

I would say 90% of laptops fall into this category.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:43 AM

I bought an Intel SSD (80 gig) for my desktop several months ago and was badly disappointed after all of the hype about how wonderful they are. So much so that I wiped it clean and returned it after a few days of trial run. Maybe it was just the particular model. It did boot faster but once I was up and running I was underwhelmed by the difference.

I think it is another example of benchmarking vs. real world experience being quite different.

Posts 10037
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:41 AM

Yes ... the Lenovo X220 Tablet arrived last night. The funny part is the user manual has a sizable section on customizing it for various types of hardware, most requiring 'surgury'. In the 'old days' you'd get a major warrenty warning ('This PC will be removed from the Book of Life).

The other funny part is on YouTube someone wished to show just how 'tough' these were. So they took another well regarded notebook starting with an 'H' and this one. Then while running, they poured a glass of water on each keyboard. Of course the 'H' computer fizzled out pretty quick, while this one kept right on computing away.

While on the subject of the 'H' computer, one of the founders was Christian and instrumental in making the large manuscript / papyri collections available to 'normal people' for Bible research. So if you  do have one of the 'H' computers, remember 'no water' AND your Logos fulfilled his dream.

Posts 3655
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:31 AM

Big Smile

Denise Barnhart:

...on YouTube someone ...took another well regarded notebook starting with an 'H' and this one. Then while running, they poured a glass of water on each keyboard. Of course the 'H' computer fizzled out pretty quick, while this one kept right on computing away.

More good news for coffee drinkers!   Coffee

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:14 AM

I tried a Core SATA 3 128GB on my ASUS G73JW (which is i7, 8 GB RAM) and found that my improvement was very limited - prob. because the laptop seems to only support SATA 2.

The improvement of speed was about 5% or less. Very sad to say.

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:18 AM

Ron Corbett:
I tried a Core SATA 3 128GB on my ASUS G73JW (which is i7, 8 GB RAM) and found that my improvement was very limited - prob. because the laptop seems to only support SATA 2.

You are always limited by your weakest link. It doesn't matter if the Speed Limit sign says 75, if Grandma in front of you is going 50. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24712
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 2:51 PM

Ron Corbett:
I tried a Core SATA 3 128GB

I can only find OCZ Core SSD's for SATA 2 and these are superseded (End of life!) models. They are slow by today's standards. But how do you measure your 5%?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 490
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:21 PM

alabama24:

Ron Corbett:

You are always limited by your weakest link. It doesn't matter if the Speed Limit sign says 75, if Grandma in front of you is going 50. Stick out tongue

I know a grandma who drives a  pavement  wrinkling '67 Camero Big Block and referee's Mixed Martial Arts, I kid not. So it depends.

Posts 490
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:21 PM

alabama24:

Ron Corbett:

I know a grandma who drives a  pavement  wrinkling '67 Camero Big Block and is a score card holder in  Mixed Martial Arts, I kid not. So it depends.

Posts 19
Tom Traubitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 5:06 PM

Running Logos 4 from an SSD was what made the most difference for me.  Fast computers do help, but using an SSD-based laptop really changed how I used Logos4.  Once I had Logos4 up to speed it's auto-searching was a joy to have at my fingertips.

-T

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS