Disappointed

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2011 11:03 AM

Douglas Alvarenga:
I remember that the first thing I really disliked was the newspaper like home page, but now that I'm used to it I see libronix home page boring.  So don't dismay, give it some time and it'll grow on you.
I, too, hated the home page when I first saw it. But when I gave it a chance I discovered certain parts of it to be very helpful. I really like having my recently downloaded resources listed. The "Book of the Day" blurb is nice. It is like asking a librarian for a one book recommendation. And it is chosen from a collection you already own. (No sales pitches here; just open it up and start reading.) Everyone in my family loves the 1000 images and color atlas photographs. I have grown to appreciate  the daily devotional link (Morning & Evening.)

There are a lot of Pre-Pubs, Community Pricing alerts and sales events included in the home page. Many do not like that fact but I enjoy it. I am happy to see sales for things I already have because it serves as a reminder and costs me nothing. Smile And if I don't have it, I have an additional opportunity to consider purchasing it.

We also have the choice of opening Logos 4 without displaying the home page. For a few months I used that option and would toggle to home page once a week for a peek.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2011 4:52 PM

shawn mathis:

Very disappointed. Going back to 3 for now.

Well done. Dance with the one who brung you--wife of your youth and all that stuff. Wink Long live L3!!!

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2011 6:06 PM

Now, David. Shhhhh. L3 puts licenses on your PC. And keeping a close eye on IE, L3 will likely outlive L4. Let's not spill the beans.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2011 6:41 PM

Denise Barnhart:
Now, David. Shhhhh. L3 puts licenses on your PC. And keeping a close eye on IE, L3 will likely outlive L4. Let's not spill the beans.

I believe Libronix will indeed have a longer lifespan than Logos 4. When L4 graduates to L5, the user base will graduate with it. There is nowhere for the Libronix user base to go that retains what features we like about it. Crying  When that day comes, I hope Logos will offer a DVD of all the latest Libronix files before they pull the plug on the old mare.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 4 2011 7:04 PM

Well, maybe(!) I'm a little different.

My favorite music composition tool is a Roland that had met its last days when I bought it. Now, they're on eBay for almost what I paid.

There's the 1949 Steinway, still nicely tuned and great ivories. And my 1898 Steiner (style!) fiddle. Loud is not the word.

Then there's my Pfaff from 20 years ago still the best smooth and even. Plus of course my Featherweight from 1952 with a price more than a good modern machine.

My Sony media PC's from 10 years ago before they started putting all the media controls on; people search and search for the drivers now, but of course only if you have the original.

The list goes on and on. Libronix was (is) a nice piece of software. I'll be pleased to have it join all my other friends and family!

Posts 1494
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 5 2011 3:46 AM

Does anyone else think it is odd that we live in a culture that is so technologically advanced that having to wait longer then 60 seconds for something to load is considered slow? I might still be in my 20's but I remember when I was impressed with the speed of a 56k modem!

Even if it took 15 minutes for Logos to do a search through all 3,000 of my books that would still be ridiculously fast compared to how long it would have taken me to do it by hand.

Posts 27668
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 5 2011 4:45 AM

Joshua Garcia:
Does anyone else think it is odd that we live in a culture that is so technologically advanced that having to wait longer then 60 seconds for something to load is considered slow?

YesSmile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 5 2011 5:18 AM

Joshua Garcia:
Does anyone else think it is odd that we live in a culture that is so technologically advanced that having to wait longer then 60 seconds for something to load is considered slow?

Yes, I agree with you.I think you are 100% right.

P.S. But I like so much when I get things FAST... Embarrassed

Bohuslav

Posts 17
shawn mathis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 5 2011 3:43 PM

"I would like to be able to right click a hyper link and tell it to go to a zone in a workspace that I designate, including floating panels. I spend too much time shifting new windows where I want, but this may be only me."

Not just you. Maybe they can be rearranged but I've not found out how yet. Too many other things to learn first.

Posts 54
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 5:39 AM

FWIW when I first upgraded to L4 I was not a happy camper and I still think it was released early to meet an arbitrary release date but that aside I've taken the time to learn the new software and now I'm solidly in the fan column.  I've been involved in software all my life and rarely do you ever see someone happy when a major change takes place with software they use everyday, but give it some time and make the effort to learn how to use it and most likely you'll be happy you did.

Posts 10545
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 5:55 AM

David Paul:
Dance with the one who brung you

In my case that would be dead tree resources, a mimeograph, and an IBM Selectric II. If you are talking electronic, that would be Grammcord. No thanks. I used L3 among other resources, but today L4 is my primary resource for serious Bible Study. 

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 3:12 PM

nicky crane:

I hated L4 at first, but now I use it daily and haven't used Libronix for over a  year.  I'm glad I stuck with L4. 

Give it most of the 30 days within which they allow us to ask for a refund.  My guess is you'll like it by then!

Yes

Amen!

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 6 2011 4:24 PM

In my experience Logos loads and is ready to use in about 17 seconds. If I am just restarting it without a system reboot it only takes about 8 seconds. The response of the software after it is loaded is very fast and responsive. By comparison, I have video editing software (Pinnacle Studio Ultimate HD 15) that takes 27 seconds to load the first time after boot-up.

My system is not state of the art by a long shot. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 4 Gig of RAM, EVGA GT-240 1 gig video card. I have 4 Terabytes of storage across four drives. (A two terabyte, a one terabyte and two 500 gig drives).

So I am a little puzzled as to why an I7 quad core with 6 gig would run slow. Of course if Shawn only has the one 500 gig drive that would slow things some since his page file is on the same drive as Logos. And we all know that there are a myriad of factors that affect performance.

Just curious.

It may just be a matter of peception because it is being compared to Libronix. But there again I don't remember seeing a huge difference in speed between Libronix and Logos 4. I may reinstall Libronix (removed it months ago) just to do a comparison. After all, I do have an over 60 memory that doesn't work as well as it used to. Smile And I don't do a lot of the huge searches that many others seem to do.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 4:41 PM

I recently upgraded from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Vista and I can see a clear performance improvement, particularly in doing searches (the majority of which are L3 searches). They may not be twice as fast, but they seem like they could be.

Just in case anyone is wondering why I didn't just upgrade to Win7, the upgrade option was free for me and was occasioned by replacing a failed hard drive.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS