Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:25 AM

Joe Lafferty:
it seems that both the Olive Tree and Logos apps are defaulting to 3G (or even GPRS!) and not using the wi-fi connection.

I'm not sure I believe Apple in this case - that scenario doesn't explain why the download didn't complete in Safari on the iPhone. Anyway, there's an easy way to test it. Turn off cellular data (Settings/General/Network) and try it again.

Did you find anything in profiles or in proxy server?

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 4:58 AM

Mark,

the agent was VERY insistent that it was something to do with the app. when i told him about your suggestion re downloading the link he said that safari on the iPhone would not download this - can you download it on your iPhone?

i turned off cellular data and it failed to download the off air resources - as before, it failed, both in the app and also in safari on iPhone 

thanks for your help!

Joe

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:21 AM

Joe Lafferty:
the agent was VERY insistent that it was something to do with the app. when i told him about your suggestion re downloading the link he said that safari on the iPhone would not download this - can you download it on your iPhone?

Yes, I can.

Joe Lafferty:
i turned off cellular data and it failed to download the off air resources - as before, it failed, both in the app and also in safari on iPhone 

If it fails part way through the download, and cellular data is turned off, that proves the failure isn't because Logos is trying to do the download over the cellular connection.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:31 AM

Mark,

thanks for your help on this - much appreciated.

now onto Apple...

Joe

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 11:18 AM

OK - apple agent agreed to replace my iPhone 4s!

hopefully that will sort the problem...

...taken far too long and too much time!

thanks for all your support - will post again when I have my new phone and let you know the outcome.

Joe

Posts 1
Jeffrey Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 12:58 PM

I am having the same exact problem. Cannot download any offline resources. Tried airplane mode, tried turning off cellular. My 4s won't even let me try to download. All my other apps work fine. This is frustrating....

Jeff

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:06 PM

Joe - Out of curiosity... what carrier are you using?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:12 PM

Jeffrey Warren:
My 4s won't even let me try to download.

Jeffrey,

Can you start a new thread please, and post your logs (there's instructions about how to get your logs further up this thread). It's likely that you problem will have a different cause, and if so a separate thread will be more straightforward.

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:40 PM

I'm with O2 in the uk, tho not sure of relevance as the problem is wifi not working in this very narrow sense.

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:41 PM

mark, why a new thread? seems like the same problem?

Jeffrey, i suggest you try marks idea on page one of this thread and download the file to your iPhone. 

Joe

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 2:04 PM

Joe if you issue is it switching to 3G, as a workaround you can disable all cellular data connections so your phone will only be able to connect via WIFI.

Turn Cellular Data on or off: Go to Settings > General > Network, then turn Cellular Data on or off. (see the heading Network on page 148 of the iOS5 user guide)

or the following Apple Support article.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

This will then at least allow you to download the files via WIFI.  Once done, you can then turn cellular data back on for normal 3G usage.

Also note latest version of Logos iPhone software includes feature of resuming downloads so make sure you have upgrade to this..that way if you have further problems you won't have to download all the way from the beginning but be able to resume download of the file.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 6:01 PM

Joe Lafferty:
mark, why a new thread? seems like the same problem?

It's possible it's the same problem, but it's not certain because (a) it sounds as though the resources don't even start downloading, (b) there is no report of other download failures, and (c) your error is a rare error. It can get really complicated (even dangerous) if people make suggestions as to what to do when there are two separate issues, and it's easy for those of use who are helping to get confused (was it Joe who we asked to try X, or was it Jeffrey?) so unless we're certain that the problem is the same, it's best to have two separate threads.

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 2:20 AM

Andrew,

thanks but I tried that. disabled cellular data & still crashed. i've tried about everything after 3 hrs with advanced tech in apple & also advanced tech in Logos!

apple agreed it must be the phone...

Joe

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 2:20 AM

Fair enough Mark - you know what your speaking about!!

thanks for your help.  I'll post when I get my replacement iPhone 4s.

Joe

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:20 AM

new iPhone 4s...

just tried to download (some) of my resources for off line use...

ERROR messages galore...

sigh.......

Posts 30
Joe Lafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:26 AM

OK i tried downloading again to write down error messages this time.

one is LSS:1.0.108.

Posts 30488
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:41 AM

Joe - What wifi connections have you tried? I still think that it is an issue with a router someplace. Also, what part of the world do you live?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:58 AM

This is really bizarre, Joe. Have you had trouble downloading any other apps via WiFi? Maybe you said it already, but have you tried downloading the app via 3G, turning off the WiFi?

It seems the culprit is the wireless router. To say you are frustrated would be putting it mildly, I'm sure.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:02 PM

I had a similar issue with my wifi. I changed the DNS settings to Googles Public DNS 8.8.8.8 and my wifi woes were sorted. I too am on o2 in the uk

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:03 PM

Just to calrify I changed the DNS on my iphone.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS