Visual Filters with Footnote Numbers

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Brent E. Marshall | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 12 2011 7:59 PM

I am looking for a way to set a colored background for footnote numbers in text, or give them some other visible distinction, so that they are more easily noticed when I am scanning through text. I think that I did this in the past with visual filters, but I have not yet found anything in help or here on how to do this (at least, not in the searches that I did).

Maybe this was in version 3. I am not sure.

Any thoughts on how best to do this in Logos 4.

Posts 27477
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:32 PM

Brent E. Marshall:
Any thoughts on how best to do this in Logos 4.

This is possible via a Visual Filter  -> http://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Filter

Here I've picked a specific type of footnote and a query relating to specific decisions for the text of this Bible. If you click "Translator's Note" you will find the more usual (and inclusive) "Footnote Text".  My footnote numbers are boxed for easy identifcation.

The problem with identifying all footnotes is that your query must identify any text, which means using wildcards  e.g.

a*, b*, c*, d*, e*, f* ... x*, y*, z*

which will identify any word by listing each letter of the alphabet. If you choose this query try to restrict the VF to a few resources (a collection) else it will consume time for every restart of L4.  My advice would be to highlight footnotes for a specific purpose as with my Translator's Notes.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5
Brent E. Marshall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2011 8:19 PM

Thank you, Dave. The reference to wildcards was what I needed.

For the book I am reading (Hamilton's first Genesis volume in NICOT), most all the footnotes have "see" or "the" or page or note numbers. Consequently, the visual filter "s*, t*, p*, n*" is doing well enough so far and is much faster than when I had wildcards for all 26 letters. I tried a simple "*" wildcard, hoping that Logos would match all footnote text and run faster, but that was not seeming to work--maybe I just did not wait long enough.

That said, it seems that there should be an easier way. Searching the contents of each footnote just to highlight the numbers in text is inefficient.

Still, this helps, and I appreciate the tip.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS