Pillar Commentary (PNTC)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:54 AM

I have 10 volumes of this set.  Is there a way that I can obtain the other four volumes at the Xmas sales price?  

I lack Hebrews, Philippians, Acts, & 1st Corinthians.  If the Lord wills, I plan to teach Corinthians in  the New Year and would like this additional source to examine.  

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:13 AM

I'm in the same position as you.  I think this is a great Christmas offer if you don't already own PNTC, however it's not much use for the rest of us who own most of the volumes in this series.  Well done to Logos though for putting such a fine bundle on offer this Christmas!

Posts 1
Matthew Weeden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:16 AM

Great deal. I already own the 10-vol. set as well.

Posts 6
Johan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:17 AM

Gene Britton:
I have 10 volumes of this set.  Is there a way that I can obtain the other four volumes at the Xmas sales price?  

I just wanted to ask the same question...

Posts 7871
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:26 AM

I already own all 14 volumes and I'm still waiting on the new ones to come out.  I highly recommend this series, hopefully it'll get finished some day.

DAL

Posts 2874
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:06 AM

Gene Britton:

I would certainly call and ask.  Nothing to lose and everything to gain.  I bet they would work something out.

This is a great commentary set.  I too hope they soon add the other published volumes.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 22
Chris White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:08 AM

Would you recommend this for someone that already owns the NICNT and NAC, as well as the (forthcoming) EEC?  I've read the reviews of this series and they all seem unanimous in their praise, but I'm trying to figure out what Pillar brings to the table that wouldn't be included in the series I just mentioned.

The price seems so good, but I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely nonetheless.

Thanks!

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:35 AM

I own 5 of the 14 vols, just send an email to sales dept.  They usually make a good offer.... wait and see

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:36 AM

What?  No Supplement?

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:49 AM

Chris White:

Would you recommend this for someone that already owns the NICNT and NAC, as well as the (forthcoming) EEC?  I've read the reviews of this series and they all seem unanimous in their praise, but I'm trying to figure out what Pillar brings to the table that wouldn't be included in the series I just mentioned.

The price seems so good, but I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely nonetheless.

Thanks!

I have been using Pillar and Baker Exegetical both for a couple of years and as with any set of commentaries there are some great ones and some that disappoint.  As an overall consistent set the NICNT is still at the top of my list.  I have also enjoyed the UBS Handbook series and use regularly. (thanks Morris Proctor) I also frequently examine the Tyndale set which I find easy to read.  Pillar and Baker Exegetical will usually come in after these listed.  I still use WBC but that set seems harder to navigate for me in the electronic form, and there is a wider range of inconsistency from volume to volume. I would still recommend WBC though.  I also enjoy the Life Application Series for thought starters.  From my experience with Pillar, I would recommend.   

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:14 AM

I rang up sales to ask if they could do a special deal on PNTC for the few volumes I don't own and they couldn't help me.  My sales consultant did say he'd fielded a lot of calls by people asking the same as me. I'd be interested to know if anyone was successful in getting a deal!

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:20 AM

Paul Clarke:

I rang up sales to ask if they could do a special deal on PNTC for the few volumes I don't own and they couldn't help me.  My sales consultant did say he'd fielded a lot of calls by people asking the same as me. I'd be interested to know if anyone was successful in getting a deal!

I was thinking the same thing. $500 for 14 volumes = $35.72/volume @50% off = $17.86/volume x 4 volumes = $71.44. Sounds like I need not waste my time on a phone call to sales, though. Crying

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:24 AM

Chris White:

Thanks!

The format of Pillar is very similar to both the NICNT and the NAC - verse by verse, Greek transliterated, and closer to NICNT in depth than the NAC. That said, the benefits of owning this resource that I see is for the particular authors--Peter O'Brien on Ephesians is outstanding, as is D. A. Carson on John, Gene Green on Thessalonians, Leon Morris on Matthew and Romans, and Douglas Moo on Colossians/Philemon (these are all ones that I have personally used, there are others in the set that are also supposed to be excellent). In particular, I've found O'Brien, Carson, and Green's volumes the most helpful ones for those particular books.

Hope that helps!

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 985
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:47 AM

Eric Weiss:

I was thinking the same thing. $500 for 14 volumes = $35.72/volume @50% off = $17.86/volume x 4 volumes = $71.44. Sounds like I need not waste my time on a phone call to sales, though. Crying

The full equation is

if purchase_volumes = 14 {

average_volume_cost = $17.86};

else {

average_volume_cost = [var.normal_price]

};

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 9:50 AM

Eric Weiss:

I did the same math as you Eric and that would've been a nice deal.  Sadly, it wasn't to be...

If anyone is tempted to get this set, don't hang around.  I just saw the following note on today's Logos blog:

We got a bit carried away slashing our prices for this product. We’ll honor today’s price ($249.95) until 11:59:59 (PST) tonight, but starting tomorrow the new discounted price will be $349.95—which means you get the very best deal on this commentary today!

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:23 AM

Just a tip:

If someone is considering $250 for the Pillar set, they might want to check out the cost of upgrading their base package. Platinum only has 10 volumes of Pillar, but the cost of upgrading might not be much more than the cost of the 14 volume PNTC set.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 11:30 AM

Gene Britton:
I lack Hebrews, Philippians, Acts, & 1st Corinthians.  If the Lord wills, I plan to teach Corinthians in  the New Year and would like this additional source to examine.

These came out in Prepub as individual volumes in 2010. I bought them up as they were produced as I had the base set in my Portfolio collection.  What surprises me is that once they were produced that Logos didn't created an 'upgrade bundle' for people who missed this in Prepub and sent an advertisement to all the Portfolio owners.  I just happen to watch the prepubs regularly and picked them up. The only option at this stage is just to buy them separately and get the Christmas credit to apply to another purchase.

For what it is worth, there are other commentaries in prepub that are in a similar situation. The BECNT is also part of the Porfolio collection. WBC used to be in the top 10 selling commentaries on Logos, so a lot of people might be interested in these additions.

Baker Exegetical Commentary Upgrade

Word Biblical Commentary, vol 37a: Acts 1-14

Word Biblical Commentary, vol 32: Micah-Malachi

Posts 20
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 12:23 PM

Paul Clarke:

I gave it a shot and called as I was only missing three volumes (Acts, 1 Corinthians, Philippians). Sadly, no deal.

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:53 PM

Since most of you seem to already own, be very familiar with and be pretty big fans (implied) of the Pillar NT Commentary series, I thought I'd toss this query out here instead of starting a new post:

As an avid Logos user who a) is a serious student of the Bible who b) works at a church (Director of Senior Adults) and teaches Adult Sunday School classes, but c) has no seminary training or understanding Greek and d) already has a number of NT Commentary series in his library including NIV Application, IVP, College Press, Tyndale, The Bible Speaks Today, Boice and Crossway Classic... What would Pillar "bring to the party?" 

Even as amazing as this "oops one-day deal" is for someone who doesn't already own Pillar, before spending $250, I thought it wise to inquire as to the opinions and perspectives of others on how they see this collection potentially benefiting my insight, understanding and application of God's Word given the circumstances above. 

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts... (before midnight).

Steve R.

Posts 7871
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 2:46 PM

Steve Robinson:

Since most of you seem to already own, be very familiar with and be pretty big fans (implied) of the Pillar NT Commentary series, I thought I'd toss this query out here instead of starting a new post:

As an avid Logos user who a) is a serious student of the Bible who b) works at a church (Director of Senior Adults) and teaches Adult Sunday School classes, but c) has no seminary training or understanding Greek and d) already has a number of NT Commentary series in his library including NIV Application, IVP, College Press, Tyndale, The Bible Speaks Today, Boice and Crossway Classic... What would Pillar "bring to the party?" 

Even as amazing as this "oops one-day deal" is for someone who doesn't already own Pillar, before spending $250, I thought it wise to inquire as to the opinions and perspectives of others on how they see this collection potentially benefiting my insight, understanding and application of God's Word given the circumstances above. 

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts... (before midnight).

Steve R.

Steve, I would venture to say that the PNTC series is more advanced than the ones you have, it will enrich your knowledge with fresh insights into the text...all that and more at a level anybody can understand.  I own College Press NIV, IVP, NIGTC and others but my # 1 and #2 choices are Pillar's series (#1 choice) and BECNT (#2 choice)...these two are very good and it has nothing to do with doctrinal inclinations.  I'm a member of the church of Christ and even though College Press leans more towars what I believe, sometimes the set doesn't go as deep like Pillar's does when it comes to background and explaining the text.

Hope this helps!

DAL

Ps. Why tarriest thou? Arise, pull out your credit card and purchase the set at this AMAZING LOW price!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS