Pillar Commentary (PNTC)

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 2:52 PM

Steve Robinson:

Since most of you seem to already own, be very familiar with and be pretty big fans (implied) of the Pillar NT Commentary series, I thought I'd toss this query out here instead of starting a new post:

As an avid Logos user who a) is a serious student of the Bible who b) works at a church (Director of Senior Adults) and teaches Adult Sunday School classes, but c) has no seminary training or understanding Greek and d) already has a number of NT Commentary series in his library including NIV Application, IVP, College Press, Tyndale, The Bible Speaks Today, Boice and Crossway Classic... What would Pillar "bring to the party?" 

Even as amazing as this "oops one-day deal" is for someone who doesn't already own Pillar, before spending $250, I thought it wise to inquire as to the opinions and perspectives of others on how they see this collection potentially benefiting my insight, understanding and application of God's Word given the circumstances above. 

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts... (before midnight).

Steve R.

Steve, 

I would agree with DAL that Pillar is a little more academic or scholarly than the ones you currently list.  That does not mean you have to be a scholar to use because the set reads so that even I can understand.  At this deal today I would recommend and think you benefit.  

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:21 PM

I started with Mark by Edwards in print and used it for 3 yrs as I taught through that gospel. Edwards always seemed to bring great insights that I didn't find in other commentaries.

Pillar was one of the main reasons I upgraded to Platinum.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:11 PM

Ps. Why tarriest thou? Arise, pull out your credit card and purchase the set at this AMAZING LOW 

““Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me”” (Matthew 16:23, NASB95)  

:D Not enough money in my bank account :(

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:31 PM

DAL:
Hope this helps!

Very helpful! Thanks! I decided to indeed purchase the Pillar Commentaries, not so much in response to your "PS" quote from the Book of 1st Hesitations, (inspiring as it was), but primarily thanks to the inadvertent temporary over-slashed price by Logos and the ability to spread the $ impact over a few months. I'm confident that this will be a valuable addition to my library from a personal spiritual growth perspective, as well as my being able to share newly gained insight with others.

Thanks again. Enjoy the day!

Steve R.

Posts 22
Chris White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:32 PM

That was very helpful, thanks!  I decided to purchase and am excited about diving into this series over the next several years.

Posts 251
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:59 PM

Gene Britton:
I have 10 volumes of this set.  Is there a way that I can obtain the other four volumes at the Xmas sales price?  

As I have the platinum base package, I am in the same boat.  Would love to add the rest of the series but it just doesn't make sense economically.

Posts 682
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:03 PM

If I recall correctly, last Christmas all the available Pillars were each offered at around $20. So the before midnight deal is the best available.

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 7:11 PM

A heads up to all my forum friends who like me have had the 10 vol. Pillar set and wanted to complete their set of the currently published volumes.

Talked with a sales rep earlier in the evening and put these on my existing payment plan. The total price of the four volumes should have totaled $224, but I received an upgrade price for $168. Am downloading now. My order history shows this as a Pillar upgrade. Looks like Logos has been listening! 

Really thrilled about completing this set... was holding off on purchasing them looking for a Christmas discount... received that discount plus earned some credit as well for next year.

Thanks Logos... and get ready... I think the phones are going to be ringing....  Big Smile

Posts 886
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 7:40 PM

EmileB:

A heads up to all my forum friends who like me have had the 10 vol. Pillar set and wanted to complete their set of the currently published volumes.

Talked with a sales rep earlier in the evening and put these on my existing payment plan. The total price of the four volumes should have totaled $224, but I received an upgrade price for $168. Am downloading now. My order history shows this as a Pillar upgrade. Looks like Logos has been listening! 

Really thrilled about completing this set... was holding off on purchasing them looking for a Christmas discount... received that discount plus earned some credit as well for next year.

Thanks Logos... and get ready... I think the phones are going to be ringing....  Big Smile

How is that considered such a good deal? At the regular Logos price of $500 for the 14-volume set, that's $35 per volume. At the supposed "retail" price of $663, that's $47 per volume. You're paying $42 per volume for these four.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:06 PM

It's a good deal from the perspective that I received the 10 volumes in the Platinum package. That leaves 4 volumes not included. The only way until now to get those 4 volumes and complete your set was to pay $65 for Acts, $65 for 1 Corinthians, $50 for Hebrews and $44 for Philippians. All significant volumes that I have been waiting for. This totals out to $224 I was planning to spend by the end of the year. Getting them at $168 is a 25% savings off something I would without question have been buying. Plus I received credit.

For those of us who have been trying to get these titles, and recognizing that its not real likely that they are going to go on sale, yeah, I consider a true 25% savings (not a mythical Logos "savings!!") plus credit towards future purchases a good deal. Better than paying full price, which I'd budgeted, and until now was the only option. I would rather pay for something that I will really use on a consistent nearly daily basis at $40 per volume, than receive 40 volumes for $40, consisting of stuff I've never heard of, from authors that I've mostly never heard of, was published 120 years ago, which I will almost certainly rarely, if ever, use, and will merely clutter up my library. I'm not into padding my book count. i already have more Logos titles than i will ever be able to read, or that could reasonably benefit my studies. I am merely trying to replace valuable hard back volumes that I once had, used very extensively, and lost through a family tragedy. So I have a very limited number of Logos titles on my wish list now, having whittled the list down over the last couple of years (actually only four titles that are currently available and not in Pre-pub/community pricing).

So, each person has his own needs/desires. And to each his own. It may not be a deal to you in your circumstances. i dare say a lot of what you might buy might not seem like a deal to me. For my purposes and goals, it was a good deal, and I'm grateful for it... and from this thread, i thought a lot more folks would be too, so I let them know about it, as others had not been successful in trying to get any discount at all.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS