Downloading all my resources again?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:58 AM

I am installing Logos 4 on my VMware machine. I have my books in a shared resource directory so that Logos for Mac can also use them. What surprised me is that it appears to be downloading all my resources again, instead of looking at my resource directory to see what I don't have yet and then downloading what is missing. (I'm upgrading from Gold to Platinum and it reports the download as 9GB)

A few questions about resources:

• Is this normal?
  • Also, does this make my old Logos 3 resource directory redundant?
  • Can I share this new download of resources for Logos 4 (windows) with Logos 4 (mac) to save drive space?

Thanks for your help!

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:15 AM

Hi Donavan,

1. Yes it is normal

2. Yes. L4 highly recommends you use the default directories due to syncing of resources. There is some talk of ways to get around this by redirecting drives, but I think it was for users of Win 7.

3. You possibly could direct your Logos Mac to the VM ware side, but you would need to have VM ware open to read the books probably. That is easy to test as you would not need to move anything or delete anything once you have L4 setup. 

L4 will copy the resources and then download the newer versions and new books. The amount of resources with images in L4 is significant thereby causing the large download. If you have L4 setup already there are some posts as to how to transfer those resources to the new setup as well as how to possibly avoid the indexing process. Run a search of the forums and you should be able to get the specifics.

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:04 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I am installing Logos 4 on my VMware machine. I have my books in a shared resource directory so that Logos for Mac can also use them.

I assume you mean that you share an L3 resource directory between VMWare and Logos for Mac (not Logos 4)? So:-

1. it is normal as most resources are now in L4 format, and some L4-only books can be about 1 GB

2. it is not redundant if you still use L3

3. you can't share a resource directory for L4

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:37 AM

I played around a bit and found that in parallels I can direct the Logos Mac directory to the L4 resources directory on the windows side and it will read all the L3 resources. Any L4 resources such as bibles with interlinears will not come across, so you will need to keep these resources in a separate directory. You MAY be able to move them to the L4 directory, but I have not, and probably will not try it. Logos Mac allows you have more that 1 directory for your resources.

I still do not care to have the mac resources on the windows side. Once L4 Mac is fully operational, then none of this will be necessary.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:57 AM

Dave Hooton:
I assume you mean that you share an L3 resource directory between VMWare and Logos for Mac (not Logos 4)? So:-

Yes, that is correct. I have had Logos 3 and Mac 1.2.2 sharing the same library. Saves drive space! :)

Dave Hooton:
   3. you can't share a resource directory for L4

This is a drag. So for V4 Windows and mac I have to have two copies of all my resources, in addition to my V3 library! :( Of course when Mac v4 is fully functional, I'll ditch V4 windows, V3 windows and 1.2.2 Mac! :)

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:15 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
This is a drag. So for V4 Windows and mac I have to have two copies of all my resources, in addition to my V3 library!

Yes! But you do not have to populate them independently as you could use the L4 scan <Mac resource folder> command to get them from the Mac folder (or vice-versa if Mac has a similar command).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS