Switching from Windows to Mac

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 88
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 20 2011 1:53 PM

Hi all!

I think in the next week or two, I will be buying a 13" MacBook Pro and giving it a try.  I had wanted to take the plunge several years ago, but only having a Windows version of Logos (at that time) made the jump seem a little pointless.  If I would only be using the Mac to run Windows apps, why switch?

Now that Logos seems rather robust and mature on the Mac, I was wondering if there were any tips or comments on switching over to the Mac OS in terms of Logos only.  Any features missing in the Mac version that I have on Windows right now (I've been running Logos 4 for about a year and a 1/2 now I guess)?  Anything special in the Mac version that I hadn't seen in Windows?  Is installing it on the Mac as painless as it is on Windows (download the installer, login, and let it do its thing)?

Thanks!

Tim

Posts 30839
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 6:33 PM

Timothy - There are some differences, but I am not a PC guy, so I am not the best to talk about the differences. I will include a link to the WIKI. You should know that many of the feature differences have been eliminated in 4.3 and 4.5, but there are still others that are left.

The installation is fairly straight forward. Have you used a Mac before? If you have any questions about your Mac, you will find many people here willing to help out.

Feature Parity:  http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_and_PC_User_Interface_Differences#Feature_Parity

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 88
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 6:46 PM

Ah, thanks for the link!  Doesn't look like there would be too much that I use regularly that isn't present or isn't at least coming soon.

I found a thread on this while searching before, but I can't find it now, and most of the posts were about a year old anyway.  On Windows I can hit CTRL-ALT-B system wide to open the Copy Bible Verses window (as long as Logos is running in the background).  I use this constantly to grab a Bible verse when I'm neck-deep in a word processor.  Does the Mac have a similar, system-wide command if Logos is running (even if it's a different keystroke)? [EDIT: Just found it farther down in the link... and it looks like the same keystroke! Yeah!]

And, no, this is really my first foray into the Mac world.  Buying an iPad in May and then an iPhone in October has pushed me over the edge. While I do like a lot of things about open system, Apple's walled garden that just works has me hooked. I'm getting the Mac to evaluate for a while, but if need be could fall back to another Windows PC if I'm just not grooving on it (before Windows 8 becomes standard, anyway).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 6:55 PM

Timothy Shrimpton:
I think in the next week or two, I will be buying a 13" MacBook Pro and giving it a try.

Suggest visiting an Apple store along with looking at a 13" MacBook Air.  For Logos 4, would buy MacBook Air with 4 GB since RAM cannot be upgraded.

For a 13" MacBook Pro, suggest upgrading hard drive from 5400 RPM to faster 7200 RPM or even better: Solid State Disk (SSD).

Mac Sales has Do It Yourself (DIY) kits => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/

Mac Rumors has a Buyer's Guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Timothy Shrimpton:
Anything special in the Mac version that I hadn't seen in Windows?

Wiki has Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Easter Egg

Timothy Shrimpton:
Is installing it on the Mac as painless as it is on Windows (download the installer, login, and let it do its thing)?

Have experienced needing to restart Logos 4 Mac several times to complete downloading.

Wiki has Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs => Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X

If choose to download, please share your experience.

Timothy Shrimpton:
I'm getting the Mac to evaluate for a while, but if need be could fall back to another Windows PC if I'm just not grooving on it

Wiki has Logos 4 Mac => Need Logos 4 PC feature? since have virtualization and native boot options.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 88
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 9:25 PM

Thanks for the thoughts!  I'll be going with the base model 13" Pro, but buying my own 8GB RAM upgrade.  It's nice to know that a big program like Logos won't need to run in a virtual machine.  I hope to get an SSD down the road, but they're a little too pricey for me right now (and hey, after a year or so using the machine as is, the upgrade will be that much better!  It'll be kind of like a new machine! ;) ).  But swapping the HD for an SSD and then swapping the optical drive for the original HD will be a nice project down the line.

Also just discovered today (I'm slow) that the iPad/iPhone apps now have access to NIV84!  Christmas has come early!

Posts 1957
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 11:00 PM

I originally started on Apple II computers of various types and then when I went to university, switched to PC because that was what we were using for classes. Then about three years ago, I hit the wall with many problems that I was having with Vista and made the jump back to Apple. The big thing that was preventing me from doing so was I had a fair amount of money invested over time in Logos and I couldn't walk away. There had been indications for some time that Logos was going to release a Mac version, but virtualization software had become so good that I initially ran it on Windows on my Mac.

At least as far as the switch to Apple, I have never regretted it. It just works. Logos for Mac doesn't always 'just work', but it is pretty good and is getting better all the time. I crash it at least once a week, but I post my logs on here and I am certain that it is trending in the right direction as the techies continue to develop it.  We are seeing the day quickly approaching when it will finally have feature parity with the Windows version and this is a big achievement.

I don't think you will regret making the switch. Your fall back if you do, is to run virtualization software. Not ideal, but that's your insurance policy. All this being said, my only advice is that you purchase as much processing power as you can. Logos is not a lightweight application.  Upgrading the RAM yourself to 8GB is a good call and I agree with you completely about SSD. I probably will make the switch to SSD in another year or two when the prices come down, but until then a 7200 rpm drive is essential. The more horsepower you have under the hood, the better.  Also, just keep in mind screen space. I have a 15" screen and couldn't imagine using it with anything smaller than that, but it all depends on your work flow and your preferences.

HTH

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 2:03 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Suggest visiting an Apple store along with looking at a 13" MacBook Air.  For Logos 4, would buy MacBook Air with 4 GB since RAM cannot be upgraded.

For a 13" MacBook Pro, suggest upgrading hard drive from 5400 RPM to faster 7200 RPM or even better: Solid State Disk (SSD).

I can testify to this.  I was previously using Logos on a MacBook with 4GB of RAM and a 5400 RPM hard drive.  And, to be honest, I was very pleased with how Logos ran.

I recently obtained a mid-2009 model MacBook Pro as a "hand-me-down" from a colleague who upgraded to the MacBook Air.  I upgraded the MBP to 8GB RAM and installed a SSD.  The results are amazing. 

I've noticed the following main benefits - which all happen A LOT more quickly than with my old MB - (1) installing and indexing new resources; (2) starting and booting up the program; and (3) performing searches.

Posts 88
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 6:53 AM

All these suggestions and thoughts are great everyone, thank you! :)

I'm going with the 13" because of price considerations and because I use an external 21" monitor at the office, and the laptop screen becomes a secondary place to toss things.  Usually, for my sermon text studies and such, I have Logos open on my main screen and OneNote open on the laptop's screen (with the font pumped up) to record my translation work / thoughts as I go.  I envision the same setup with the Mac.  In fact, that setup is the only reason I'm even thinking about going with Apple.  There's no way I could ever justify the cost of their 15" machine (to say nothing of their 17"!)

But having a much more portable machine is pretty exciting too.  My 15.6" Dell I've got now is fine, but it's not something I can just "grab and go" if I'm going to work from home or anything.  I hope the 13" Mac will accomplish that; when I do that, I'm hoping I can survive with Logos on the little screen with kind of poor resolution.  Spaces ought to help with that I suppose.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:14 AM

Timothy Shrimpton:
There's no way I could ever justify the cost of their 15" machine (to say nothing of their 17"!)

Understand.  Apple has refurbished MacBook Pro 15" and 17" models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

Concur MacBook Pro 17" model has premium pricing.  In contrast, current MacBook Air models are competitively priced along with having 2nd generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors.  Also, MacBook Air models are light weight for grab and go.

The 13" MacBook Air has a screen resolution of 1440 x 900, matching the 15" MacBook Pro.  Noted rumor about a 15" MacBook Air next year; suspect screen resolution would be similar to 17" MacBook Pro => http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/28/updated-macbook-air-line-with-new-15-inch-model-coming-in-1q-2012/

By the way, a Mac Mini can display on two monitors.  Also can carry a Mac Mini from desk to desk.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS