Logos 4 - Wonderful Version, but unusable while typing

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 115
Steve Sando | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:51 AM

Hi Gang,

I attempted to use Logos 4 for my devotional notes.  However, the typing feedback is so slow in the notes feature I can't use the product.  The letters appear long after I've typed ahead - at my typing rate of about 30WPM I type two or three words ahead of where it shows.  I'm running:

Vista Service Pack 2

Duo Core 1.6 GHz

3 Gig memory

No other software products running.

Typing in commands, or naming a layout, etc all suffer from the same problem.

Steve

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 7:54 AM

I've had some similar issues... :(

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:10 AM

Steve,

L4 is syncing your notes, it does so rather aggressively, so others have found that turning off Internet connection helps with this.

Tools - Program Settings - Use Internet - Set to No.

Downside is you lose updates. So, you either have to turn it back on from time to time or force an update by typing "Update now" in the Command box on the menu bar.

Logos is aware of this and I'm sure they will get it working better in future updates.

Chris

Posts 16
sdfsdfsdfdf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:16 AM

Thanks for the tip Chris.  I tried your idea, but to no avail.

All the typing is slow, not just notes.  The command window, naming a reading plan, you name it.  Anything with typing is painful.

Steve

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:19 AM

I have even noticed general sluggishness while browsing through my library.  Simply scrolling in a bible or book tends to be jerky.  I hope they can take care of this issue.

Vista Home Premium

2.4G Quad core CPU

4Gb RAM

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:24 AM

Some users have experienced interference with Antivirus programs that cause hangs in the syncing which hangs L4. Thomas, your system has enough power, more than mine, so I'd guess it is something going on in the background. I get very slight pausing with typing in Notes, with Internet on, and no where else. On Saturday, after running all day in several programs, my Home Page was very jerky in opening and I had to restart my computer. That fixed it.

Chris

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:28 AM

Steve,

Does this only happen to you running Logos?

I had the same symptoms running any intensive program and discovered what it was. But considering your specs and my problem computer's specs are totally different I cannot imagine your problem being the same.

Here are my specs: HP Paviion DV8000, AMD 64 Turion, Win XP SP3 Media edition, only 512mb RAM,  360GB WD SATA drive

Here is what caused these same quirks on mine: a hard drive overlay that Western Digital included with the upgrade drive to address memory higher than the 240GB total that HP had in their BIOS. When I called HP Tech Support they assured me that although the WD hard drive appeared to be functioning in my laptop the overlay was the culprit. I downgraded the drive and the quirks disappered.

This is probably not what your problem is but it is the only similar thing I've encountered in recent experience. Keep tinkering.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:31 AM

Other users have mentioned making sure their video drivers were up to date - one with a high end card. Others have talked about defragmenting - not sure that would cause your issue.

Chris

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:37 AM

Steve,

Did one of your kids turn on Microsoft "Sticky Keys"  or maybe adjust the typing rate?  I did have a keyboard controller go out once (in the '90's.) It behaved the same way before it died. But that is a rare occurance.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:38 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Did one of your kids turn on Microsoft "Sticky Keys"

Mine use Raspberry Jam for that.

Chris

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:40 AM

i am running a 1.6Gig laptop as well and had the same problem last week. Closing the program and reopening it did not help. The Taskmanager showed that i had 50% of memory available. But after restarting windows and then opening Logos 4, this sped up scrolling and improved responses in the program.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:44 AM

I found I had this problem until Logos had downloaded and installed all available service packs.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:51 AM

Steve Sando:
I attempted to use Logos 4 for my devotional notes.  However, the typing feedback is so slow in the notes feature I can't use the product.

I have had this at times, but not with any regularity or discernible pattern. One time it will be fine, then it will lag terribly in almost any box where I type. It is rare for this to happen, but it does.

If you are running a laptop, and you rarely reboot, try that. I find that with my laptop, after a few days of just hibernating, rather than restarting it, things can start to bog down.

I would also echo the advice to make sure your video drivers are up to date. Logos4 does have some rather demanding video requirements, and your symptoms suggest this as a possibility.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:58 AM

Rich,

How do you discern if your video drivers are up to date?!

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:13 AM

My problem seems to be worse with my laptop, which is a 2.0 Ghz CPU Duo core, 4gb RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  It very well could be video drivers, although they are the latest available on HP's website.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 16
sdfsdfsdfdf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:29 AM

My drivers and things are all up to day, again I'm not having any issues with other software packages.

Also, I don't think it's video drivers, since we're just talking about typing individual characters.  Really, it's type 10 letters, pause and watch it slooowly display each character one at a time.

Steve

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:37 AM

Randy Hartman:
How do you discern if your video drivers are up to date?!

This is different for each computer. The best way is to check with your computer or video card manufacturer, as often the video cards or chips are custom built for the computer or video card manufacturer. It's important to get the right update (if one exists). For example I had an EVGA brand nVidia card. The nVidia update caused problems, I uninstalled it in favor of the EVGA update (which worked beautifully). This is even more critical for integrated video (which includes most laptops).

Many of these companies have forums in which these kinds of questions can be asked and answered.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:42 AM

Steve Sando:
Also, I don't think it's video drivers, since we're just talking about typing individual characters.  Really, it's type 10 letters, pause and watch it slooowly display each character one at a time.

Yes, this is the intermittent problem I've had to. While the issue is properly displaying the typed characters (a video issue), it may not be a video driver problem per se. The possibilities are almost endless.

My point is that the problem you're experiencing is known, but since it is intermittent, it's very difficult to diagnose.

I always like to try the easiest solutions first. Have you tried restarting your computer?

Posts 16
sdfsdfsdfdf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:07 AM

Hi Richard,

I restated the computer, started Logos 4 before anything else.Then opened just the ESV and a Note window.  Poor performance but, not as bad.  Then I opened a guide with just Literary, Parallell Passages, and Key Words.  The performance was awful.  So I closed the guide - performance remained painful.

I'm a software engineering architect by trade.  I understand the difficulty in finding these sorts of issues.  In my case, though, the problem is not intermittent, it's really bad all the time.

BTW I don't use or even own a virus protection program.

Thanks for the ideas!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:17 AM

I have experienced this with other software on a computer which was limited in RAM, but 3GB should not exhibit this problem. I suggest you may want to close L4 and hold CTRL while restarting the program in order to initialize some logs.  Then do all the above, and submit your logs here.

There may be some information in the logs which the techs can use.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS