Advice re:MacBook Air

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 25 2011 5:46 AM

I am currently a PC user, but am seriously considering replacing my PC laptop with a MacBook Air as a late Christmas present. The MacBook Air would be a secondary computer (to my power desktop PC). I intend to use the MBA primarily for word processing, browsing, some simple photoshop work (on the fly). I also intend to run L4 on Lion.

I am considering the 13" with the 256GB SDD. I know there are historic threads discussing the performance of L4 on the MBA, but would be grateful for some feedback regarding the current performance (given recent updates to the MBA and the maturing L4 for Mac).

I was also wondering if I should be upgrading to the i7 processor given the demands of L4? I would be grateful for if someone could share there experiences regarding L4's performance with the i5.

It is my intention to switch to Mac completely on expiry of the desktop and so I really want to make the right choice with what will be my first foray into the world of Mac.

Thanks in advance of your kind assistance.

Andy

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 7:55 AM

Andy,

I am also considering a MacBook Air, but I am going to wait for a couple months to see if Apple provides a spec bump (faster processor, more RAM). 

I have read a couple of posts on the forum about folks with MBAs and the feedback is positive.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:16 AM

For Logos 4, suggest buying MacBook Air model with 4 GB of RAM since cannot upgrade RAM (surface mounted on motherboard).

MacRumors has a Buyer's Guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ plus rumor articles: e.g. may be May 2012 for next spec bump plus larger screen possibly in 1st quarter next year.

Apple offers refurbished MacBook Air models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air that includes some July 2011 models with 4 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD storage.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:45 PM

Andy Evans:

I am currently a PC user, but am seriously considering replacing my PC laptop with a MacBook Air as a late Christmas present. The MacBook Air would be a secondary computer (to my power desktop PC). I intend to use the MBA primarily for word processing, browsing, some simple photoshop work (on the fly). I also intend to run L4 on Lion.

I am considering the 13" with the 256GB SDD. I know there are historic threads discussing the performance of L4 on the MBA, but would be grateful for some feedback regarding the current performance (given recent updates to the MBA and the maturing L4 for Mac).

I was also wondering if I should be upgrading to the i7 processor given the demands of L4? I would be grateful for if someone could share there experiences regarding L4's performance with the i5.

It is my intention to switch to Mac completely on expiry of the desktop and so I really want to make the right choice with what will be my first foray into the world of Mac.

Thanks in advance of your kind assistance.

Andy

I own a Late 2010 MBA with 4GB of RAM and 128GB SD and Intel Core 2 Duo. Logos runs reasonably well on it. Better than my Mac Mini with a 5400 RPM drive. The SSD is more important than the processor with Logos, so I wouldn't pay the extra for the higher spec processor unless you have the money and just want the faster computer for other processor intensive tasks like video/image processing. 

Posts 5911
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 3:26 AM

Andy Evans:

Once you have the programs you want on your laptop; might I suggest that you make sure you have a cable so that your existing monitor can be used as a second monitor for the Mac. You may find you only have to buy once. It is surprising how soon you get used to using two monitors and the OS' ability use multiple desktops at the flick of a finger (or two) provides great versatility.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2011 1:50 AM

Thank you all for you kind advice and assistance.

I am planning on a trip to the Apple store later in the week.

Thanks once again.

Andy

Posts 17
Tim Nicholas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2011 6:48 AM

Hi Andy,

I have the mid-2011 13-inch MBA base model (1,7Ghz i5, 4G RAM, 128G SSD), and I've been running Logos 4 on it since I bought it. My experience has been very good - searches are faster than my desktop machine (late 2009 2,66GHz quad core iMAC). I think the SSD is what really makes the most benefit - I don't think the i7 upgrade is necessary for Logos 4.

Enjoy!

Tim

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 6:28 AM

Former Apple Store employee here, and I highly recommend the refurbished Airs. Word is that the QC process for refurbished Apple products is incredibly stringent, and based on the refurb repair volume I saw (or rather, lack thereof) I believe it. Plus the include the same warranty as brand new ones. Save yourself a hundred bucks or two. 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 7:19 AM

Thanks again for the kind assistance with this.

Yesterday I purchased the recent MBA base model with the i5 and 256GB SSD. I downloaded L4 last night and am just waiting for it to index, I am now at 20% after 3 hours. Looking forward to using it properly when L4 is up and running.

Thanks once again.

Andy 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS