offline option? Totally local operation?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5
Gary schmid | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 26 2011 5:53 PM

Can I save a proclaim presentation as an offline file, so that it will still run if the internet goes down or I'm at a location without internet access? I travel, and some of the places I go have either slow or inconsistent internet access.  I'd like to be able to save my presentations and just run them without having to be connected to the Web.

Thanks 

gary

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 8:02 PM

Proclaim already caches presentation content which enables it to be used offline with some limitations (no support for signals or the remote). The icon in the upper right of the menu toolbar shows the presentation content cache status. When it's green (you're at 100%) you can safely expect to present offline.

Posts 2
James Cummer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 6:42 PM

What if we arrive at church in the morning to find the Internet down and are unable to pull down the presentation we uploaded the night before? I assume that's the chance we take by using a SAS solution...

Is there no way to backup or download a presentation for offline use?

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:34 PM

James Cummer:
Is there no way to backup or download a presentation for offline use?

Not currently. Feel free to use our uservoice page to suggest and vote. http://proclaim.uservoice.com/forums/137112-general

Posts 2
James Cummer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:42 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll check that out.

Posts 5
Gary schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:18 PM

Thank you for the response.  There needs to be the option to save and load presentations locally, as files that can be stored on a usb drive or equivalent device.  If a person travels often and uses a dozen different presentations each trip, having them backed up is the only way to go.  

Posts 51
Gene Heathershaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:50 PM

Hi. We've just done a trial run of Proclaim and are evaluating it for possible use.  I agree that the lack of a method of transporting a presentation that isn't dependent on an internet connection is a serious drawback for Proclaim.  Our internet at the church facility has gone out several times this past year, often for hours at a time, one time for a couple of days (thankfully none of those were on a Sunday), and there is a real possibility for us to come in on a Sunday morning to find no internet connection and therefore no song lyrics for anyone to follow. Before we can rely on Proclaim as our sole presentation builder, it  needs a method of transporting a presentation in a file that isn't dependent on an internet connection.  Otherwise we will be continuing to build PowerPoint lyric slides in parallel in order to have a backup in case the internet is down at our church facility, which is a lot of extra work.

We currently use PowerPoint slides and Google Sites to exchange slide files. We always copy the files thumb drive and carry it to the church facility as a backup.

Otherwise, we really like the remote collaboration features and the tie-in with CCLI and other song sources.  Thanks.

--Gene, Grace Community Church of Huntsville

Posts 5
Miguel Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:54 AM

I agree with all these posts. The ONLY drawback holding us back from full use in our church (aside from the fact that I can't keep it from crashing on my PCs) is that there is no way to offload presentations, making us completely reliant on the internet, which is ALWAYS a bad idea. Is there a fix for this in the works?

Posts 5444
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:51 PM

It is not true to say that teams are 'completely reliant on the internet' each person that has downloaded the presentation to their computer has a copy on their computer. If the one in the church fail just swap it for a laptop.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5
Gary schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:27 PM

Mike I get what you are saying, but seriously, swap out an entire machine rather than use a thumb drive for backup? That seems a little cumbersome.

Posts 51
Gene Heathershaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:43 PM

Mike, at our church's facility there are only two resident computers (both desktops) and only the AV projection computer has Proclaim on it. The other is an administrative computer at the other end of the building.  We do all of our presentation development outside the church facility at our homes. If we arrive on a Sunday morning and find our internet connection out, someone would have go home and get a laptop, load the software on it and connect to the group to get the presentation before they brought it back.  That's probably going to be more time than we have.  To carry a laptop just for backup each Sunday is cumbersome and more work than sticking to our current use of PowerPoint.  The ability to export and import a presentation to a file (in whatever file form Logos deemd good) is a must for reliability and availability. 

Posts 5444
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:02 AM

It goes to show how differently people think.

Gary schmid:

Mike I get what you are saying, but seriously, swap out an entire machine rather than use a thumb drive for backup? That seems a little cumbersome.

Plug in, swap VGA connection, perhaps plug in sound. Doesn't seem that onerous to me.

Gene Heathershaw:
To carry a laptop just for backup each Sunday is cumbersome and more work than sticking to our current use of PowerPoint. 

I would be just as worried about a failing, power supply, hard drive etc as loss of internet. Carrying a laptop, if your main responsibility in church is projection seems a sensible thing to do. 2.5lb doesn't seem to be over taxing.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:05 AM

Our Church takes its computer to summer camp for two weeks every July.  There is no internet connection in the mountains, no cell service, not even carrier pigeonSmile  It is truly wonderful! However, when it comes to using technology for presentation, it is a bit restrictive.

We currently use an open source presentation program and Power Point. I would love to switch to Proclaim, but how limited I would be. We can not build each service ahead of camp. Rather, we meet with the camp evangelist, missionary, and song leader at the camp on Monday afternoon and begin putting together the technology end of things. We try to bring together each speaker's presentations, create things on the fly for some of them, and do the songs, announcements, pictures of campers we take daily, video, etc.

I agree that Proclaim must become totally usable in a local, or offline, situation before we can make the switch.

Tommy Miller

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:41 PM

Tommy Miller:

Our Church takes its computer to summer camp for two weeks every July.  There is no internet connection in the mountains, no cell service, not even carrier pigeonSmile  It is truly wonderful! However, when it comes to using technology for presentation, it is a bit restrictive.

We currently use an open source presentation program and Power Point. I would love to switch to Proclaim, but how limited I would be. We can not build each service ahead of camp. Rather, we meet with the camp evangelist, missionary, and song leader at the camp on Monday afternoon and begin putting together the technology end of things. We try to bring together each speaker's presentations, create things on the fly for some of them, and do the songs, announcements, pictures of campers we take daily, video, etc.

I agree that Proclaim must become totally usable in a local, or offline, situation before we can make the switch.

Tommy Miller

You do have the option of downloading all of the backgrounds and images you want to use locally, then using them in your presentations as local files. 

Otherwise, Proclaim will function as normal though you will be unable to broadcast signals or upload your presentations to the cloud until you return from the mountains.

Thanks,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 3
Philipp Keller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:57 PM

That's a pity. The room where we have church service doesn't have any internet connection. That makes Proclaim unusable for me.

The room of our pastor has Wifi, but it is 3 floors up and the signal doesn't reach to the church service room. I'd vote for being able to transport the presentation(s) via usb stick. Currently we're doing that with our power point presentations.

Greets
Philipp 

Posts 51
Gene Heathershaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 5:14 AM

Hunter and Mike,

Mr. Miller didn't say, but if he uses a song source such as CCLI, then he still can't build songs on the fly without an internet connection, no matter how many backgrounds he has loaded on his portable computer.  In the case of his summer camp in the wilds and building presentations on the fly, he can't anticipate what songs would be needed in order to pre-load them into text files.

One last question: Is there any technical or marketing reason that presentation export/import to a file can't be implemented in Proclaim (given time and money)? If so, what is the reason?

Thanks,  Gene

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 6:46 AM

Gene Heathershaw:
One last question: Is there any technical or marketing reason that presentation export/import to a file can't be implemented in Proclaim (given time and money)? If so, what is the reason?

With enough time and money, you can do almost anything. :-)

Proclaim is designed as a cloud-connected solution; the app auto-updates itself ensuring everyone has the latest version, and keeps the presentation in sync nearly constantly. 

An offline data store, for transport via USB, isn't impossible, but it introduces many complications: we need to create a file format that's upgradable, need to make new versions of Proclaim read older versions of the file, etc. An "always-on" sync model reduces the chance that nay particular sync operation has tons of data to exchange at one moment, and also reduces the likelihood that you'll have a large number of conflicts if/when the data is synced.

These are all solvable problems, but they take time to code for and to test, and create more scenarios where the app is likely to frustrate or confuse users. And they just aren't what we designed for. 

We may go ahead and add this support in the future, but we have a number of higher priority things ahead of it.

Posts 3
stan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:53 PM

ditto - everybody else.  tech isn't quite to universal broadband yet and so the product as it stands is ahead of its time.  I am a church planter.  Guess what? no internet access in the school we meet in.  Only option would be to add a broadband hotspot - another $30/month

Posts 20
Jeff Meyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:31 PM

We do not have internet at our facility either, but all we do is make sure that the laptop we use in the service has "synced" in the morning before the worship leader leaves home.  Any "last minute" changes are made on his laptop at the church and everything works fine.

I do agree that storing the presentation offline on a USB drive or something would make this app awesome, but for our purpose (Sunday morning service) it works just fine w/o internet (except for the fact that the signals and controller app don't work).

I'm using this as an excuse to get WiFi at the church - gotta convince the finance guy though.  :)

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS